🌟 Star Trek, TOS 🌟

Tools    

For fun... found a compilation of some scenes featuring the Romulan commander from Continues (2017).
When I first saw her in this I thought that somehow they'd used a time machine to bring the original actress (Joanne Linville) to the present to reprise her role! Of course, that was not the case and the modern actress was Amy Rydell.

And then I found this... (wasn't expecting it when I clicked on it!)
A spoof of another show from the 60's made from a modern homage fan series of Star Trek (if that makes any sense).
Spoofing the TV series "That Girl" with "That Romulan"!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

That's John Fiedler from "The Bob Newhart Show". He was also Jack the Ripper in the "Star Trek" episode "Wolf in the Fold".

And he also played Vinnie, one of the poker players who met regularly in Oscar's home in The Odd Couple ( movie) .

A system of cells interlinked
That just goes to prove that expensive special effects do not always make a good movie. I think my favorite scene in STTMP was the shuttle craft circling the Enterprise, and also the scene when McCoy beamed aboard with that beard.
Got the urge to watch Star Trek : TMP over the weekend. I usually prefer the 2002 Director's Cut, which is a tighter film because of the cuts that excise some of the more drawn out space-out scenes inside V-Ger, and adds a few updated visual effects and some deleted scenes. Alas, the DC has never been updated to HD, and I didn't feel like digging my DVD out of storage, so i fired up the theatrical cut on Amazon Prime. Overall, I like the film, and I feel like it has aged a bit better than a couple of the the others in the franchise, as it is more idea based. The main problem with the flick is the pacing in the middle section, and I see why Wise cut out some of the material in the middle to make the film feel a bit tighter.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
That's John Fiedler from "The Bob Newhart Show". He was also Jack the Ripper in the "Star Trek" episode "Wolf in the Fold".
Correct! I especially remember him from the cult horror movie Deathmaster.

Got the urge to watch Star Trek : TMP over the weekend. I usually prefer the 2002 Director's Cut, which is a tighter film because of the cuts that excise some of the more drawn out space-out scenes inside V-Ger, and adds a few updated visual effects and some deleted scenes. Alas, the DC has never been updated to HD...
I didn't know there was a Director's Cut of STTMP. I'd be interested in watching that next time I watch all the ST movies. I just watched ST Nemesis a few days ago, ugh!...But the good thing is I just started rewatching Deep Space Nine last night To bad that DSN isn't available on Blu-Ray like Next Generation and Original Series is. Oh well it will still be a fun watch.

A system of cells interlinked
I didn't know there was a Director's Cut of STTMP. I'd be interested in watching that next time I watch all the ST movies. I just watched ST Nemesis a few days ago, ugh!...But the good thing is I just started rewatching Deep Space Nine last night To bad that DSN isn't available on Blu-Ray like Next Generation and Original Series is. Oh well it will still be a fun watch.
I am also watching DSN again. I am just starting season 4!

I think we were talking about the different TMP editions not too long ago.
But I agree the Director's Cut does "clean up" a lot of what made people complain about the movie (mostly the lengthy scenes inside V-ger) while adding scenes that help bring the story together in a better way.

As I think I said before, the Director's Cut made a difference for some people who felt that TMP was a movie they couldn't bear to sit thru again, by making it one that is watchable.

P.S. Just thinking: 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) had the (almost unbearably) long scene of psychedelic space / mind travel to the mysterious destination.
Solaris (1972) had the (almost unbearably) long scene of a highway that was supposed to be some sort of visual metaphor for space travel to the mysterious planet.
And ST-TMP (1979) had the (almost unbearably) long scenes inside the mysterious V-ger!
Was each an homage to the previous?

...P.S. Just thinking: 2001 A Space Odyssey (1968) had the (almost unbearably) long scene of psychedelic space / mind travel to the mysterious destination.
Solaris (1972) had the (almost unbearably) long scene of a highway that was supposed to be some sort of visual metaphor for space travel to the mysterious planet.
And ST-TMP (1979) had the (almost unbearably) long scenes inside the mysterious V-ger!
Was each an homage to the previous?
All three of those scenes do seem very similar in their visual-aweness...that and they are all long!

*STTMP inside V-ger was very well done. I mean it looked bizarrely alien and for 1979 that was amazing.

George Takei will be on Seth Meyers talk show tonight.

Joanne Linville was lovely as the Romulan Commander and Amy Rydell was almost her twin! @Captain Steel, thanks for finding that. Great stuff, although I don't really dig their stand-in actors for Kirk and Spock. The voices alone make them sound like eunuchs!

I loved that John Fielder turned out to be the one possessed by Jack the Ripper or "Redjac." It made me laugh when Fielder, with his small build gets beat up by Kirk and the voice of Redjac, cackling and saying "Redjac!" over and over. I liked the "Wolf in the Fold" episode very much.

I was in the theater on opening day for Star Trek: The Motion Picture and I still enjoy the movie and its ideas very much. But I do like "The Director's Cut" better for all the reasons given. I remember reading magazines and going to conventions where TMP was jokingly called "Star Trek: The Still" or "Star Trek: The Motionless Picture." But I thought that was a bit unfair. I was jazzed to see the original crew back together, although I did understand about the endless voyage through V'ger and the actors just staring and staring and on and on. Too bad TDC takes out most of George Takei's part, because I believe he's the one who unfortunately was saddled with most of the staring.

@Mesmerized, thanks for posting that video with Shatner and Joan Collins. I know that was several years back because they mentioned that he was doing his "lawyer show" Boston Legal. It ended in 2008, so that video is at least that old. I'm just leading up to the point that, damn, Joan Collins still looked hot to me in that video! I used to have a massive crush on her, back in the day...particularly in 1972 when she was in the British film Tales From the Crypt and was oh, so fine!

And @Citizen Rules, what exactly did you not like about Star Trek: Nemesis? I liked that one far better than Star Trek: Insurrection. Just curious.

And @Citizen Rules, what exactly did you not like about Star Trek: Nemesis? I liked that one far better than Star Trek: Insurrection. Just curious.

Star Trek: Nemesis

In a nut shell what I didn't like about Nemesis is: there was little focus on the Star Trek world and the established characters, with almost no ST world building or character exploration.

Instead there was a lot of focus on block buster Hollywood style action. And there was too much focus on the bad guy played by Tom Hardy, which left little time for ST crew to have any meaningful lines.

The director, Stuart Baird has only three films to his directorial credit and is mostly known as an action film editor. And that's what he did to Nemesis turned it into a Hollywood action flick. You could take the Star Trek crew out of the picture and it wouldn't even matter to the film. Besides the short wedding scene, there's nothing really Star Trek about the film. The ST crew needs to be endemic to any ST movie.

Even some of the cast members have had harsh criticism for the director. Marina Sirtis called him an 'idiot' and a 'son of a bitch'. On the movie's DVD extras she said the director didn't know a thing about the Star Trek universe and didn't even know that Geordi La Forge was a human, he thought he was an alien because of the artificial eyes.

To me the film seems to disrespect what the ST crew was all about. Which is not surprising because reportedly the director was said to have hated the Star Trek franchise and refused to watch any of the TV episodes. It feels like he thumbed his nose at the ST universe and made Nemesis into another no-brainier action flick.

But worse the film has the stupidest plot line of any ST film, that includes the often maligned ST V. There is Remus the lesser twin world of Romulus where the Reman's are slave labor and a human clone of Picard is sent to that slave world as a child. So the Picard clone rises up in a slave revolt and somehow manages to get the baddest ass war ship ever constructed (how?) and a huge army all from a bunch of slaves? Then instead of using his death ray to exact revenge on his Romulan slave masters as one would expect, he decides to destroy Earth instead. That's all bush league writing.

Though the most inane thing in the movie is that stupid off road car chase with Picard driving on the desert planet...Especially stupid is it's death defying jump off a cliff and into the back of a waiting shuttle People watch the Star Wars franchise for silliness, err I mean fun...Star Trek was always a thinking person's franchise...that is until Nemesis and later JJ Abrams got a hold of it.

Hey I guess I did write a review
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-end-of-this-chase-scene-looks-like-it-inspired-a-similar-moment-in-serenity.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	56691  

I thought the only really good TNG movie was First Contact (even though it was the "retcon" movie.) But still, as movies go it's one of the best out of the entire ST franchise.

I agree with everything Rules said about Nemesis.

The only thing I liked about Generations was the destruction of what I always felt was one of the worst looking Enterprise designs. (I think I would've liked the whole TNG TV series better if the ship looked like the one they had in their later movies.) The best scene was probably the crashing of the saucer section!

And Insurrection really felt like a (very lesser) TV episode, just longer.