October Horror Challenge V2

Tools    

The Black Cat
dir: Lucio Fulci

Rating bullied from a
or
up to a
because I say so.

Not much remains of Edgar Allan Poe's story (my favourite of his), except for some key details, but nevertheless, a thoroughly enjoyable story. Not a gory Fulci, but it's definitely him, and I love every minute of it. The soundtrack, the sometimes bad dubbing, the good looking cinematography, the ubiquitous closeup eye shots (somewhat reminiscent of spaghetti western standoffs), the
WARNING: spoilers below
EXPLODING HEART.

You guys would probably hate it.

Category: Lucio Fulci

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Watched this 7 or 8 years ago. Very strange film this one.
I watched because of this cover:

One of my favorites bands ever! and this EP is awesome!!!!

Yeah I watched it once when I was younger and decided to revisit it for this challenge to see if I could get any more out of it than I previously did, and the answer was no..Personally I prefer Dance of December Souls to Brave Murder Day and this EP, but it's definitely solid. I pretty much hate anything they've released since Viva Emptiness though.

The Host (2006)

Directed By: Joon-ho Bong
I really like this movie. I'm usually not great with foreign films because I’m not a very fast reader and dialogue always has more punch to me when I really pick up on the nuances in their delivery. Although this movie was okay, I have been watching more foreign films lately so that probably helped. I loved the monster, it looked great, all fishy and gross. It honestly looked pretty good for 2006 CGI. I really like the variation of characters in the movie, and how they all have awesome arcs as they all work towards the same goal. There is some kind out of nowhere or out of place comedic moments, I still laughed or chuckled but more kind of out of confusion. I have a feeling that may have been due to a cultural disconnect of some sort, but it wasn’t that big of a deal. There were some really great shots in the film and I feel like there was some symbolism and hidden meaning I didn’t pick up on. All in all I really enjoyed this movie but i might have tried to trim the runtime a little I don’t know that they needed 2 hours to tell this story, maybe I’m wrong but at around 1:45:00 I looked to see how much of the movie was left. Anyways it’s good.

I give it 5 terrible scientists out of 7 korean Katniss Everdeen’s

Category: Creature Feature

Yeah I watched it once when I was younger and decided to revisit it for this challenge to see if I could get any more out of it than I previously did, and the answer was no..Personally I prefer Dance of December Souls to Brave Murder Day and this EP, but it's definitely solid. I pretty much hate anything they've released since Viva Emptiness though.
Not a fan of the singing and the emotional metal? I understand why they had to go that way. It's that or lose Jonas.

“I was cured, all right!”
Personally I prefer Dance of December Souls to Brave Murder Day and this EP, but it's definitely solid. I pretty much hate anything they've released since Viva Emptiness though.

No love for The Great Cold Distance? That album was great.
Never could decide between Dance of December Souls and Brave Murder Day. I love them both equally!

Not a fan of the singing and the emotional metal? I understand why they had to go that way. It's that or lose Jonas.
As someone who mainly listens to black, death and blackened death metal it's not really my thing, but I do like Katatonia and Anathema. Honestly I loved everything from Discouraged Ones to Viva Emptiness. The Great Cold Distance was a big letdown and their subsequent releases pale in comparison to any of their more "Slowdive" influenced material.

No love for The Great Cold Distance? That album was great.
Never could decide between Dance of December Souls and Brave Murder Day. I love them both equally!

TGCD is why I stopped following new Katatonia releases, it was a big disappointment for me. I like DoDS and Jhva Elohim Meth because of Jonas vocals. If I want to hear Mikael do vocals, I'd listen to My Arms, Your Hearse or Morningrise.

Welcome to the human race...
Day 9

Train to Busan (Yeon Sang-ho, 2016) -

CATEGORY: Zombie

Gotta admit that this one lives up to the hype reasonably well. It's not doing anything too novel on a fundamental level, but it does an admirable job of filling in the blanks with a solid cast of characters, a Last of Us-style twist on the zombies that lends itself well to constructing tight set-pieces, and its own variation on Romero-style commentary (and boy this film is not subtle in its indictment of capitalistic power structures and their effect on the citizenry).

Day 10

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (Jack Sholder, 1985) -

CATEGORY: Sequel (2/2)

I guess if I wasn't crazy about the first one then there was no hope for the immediate follow-up. People certainly weren't joking about how homoerotic the whole things ends up being as it cranks the camp to some serious levels at times, but that only ends up making me question whether or not this movie's really trying to scare or amuse. The odd spot of appreciable '80s aesthetic isn't enough to make me think of it as anything but a thankfully brief waste of time.

Day 11

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (Chuck Russell, 1987) -

CATEGORY: Slasher

I guess if you're like me and don't find the core concept of Nightmare on Elm Street all that scary in the first place, then you might very well gravitate to the ways in which it expands upon said concept in colourful and inventive new ways. Dream Warriors certainly has a solid premise - these teens discover the power to fight back against Freddy - and has the effects work to back it up, plus it expands the mythos in a manner that's actually more compelling than expected. It's not quite at a level where I'd say I out-and-out liked it, but it definitely made decent use of its potential more often than not.

Night of the Living Dead (Tom Savini, 1990) -

CATEGORY: A film from the year you were born

I'm not sure which title card made me more worried, "George A. Romero Present[sic]" or "A Menahem Golan Production". This remake didn't do too much to assuage my fears as it commits to a largely scene-by-scene repeat of the seminal original that is barely taking advantage of the potential to change things up (it certainly made me appreciate the liberties taken with the Dawn of the Dead remake a little more). It seems ironic that a film directed by legendary makeup artist Savini somehow seems about as tame as the original in terms of violence, though I suppose the actual zombie effects are decent. Fortunately, it does make at least one major adaptational change that improves the situation considerably - namely, changing the character of Barbara from a catatonic damsel to a proactive heroine. It certainly lends a considerable amount of personality to what is otherwise an extremely dry rehash.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I actually really like the NOTLD remake, maybe because it was the one I watched first out of the two?

Suspect's Reviews

That would make sense, it's still the same solid narrative so I really am judging the remake on the strength of its differences (which is why its version of Barbara is the real highlight for me since it's such a genuine improvement on the original). I have the original at
, so it's a real respect-the-classic-but-don't-really-love-it kind of rating (and watching the remake doesn't really make me want to revisit the original any time soon).

Day 12

Afflicted (Derek Lee and Clif Prowse, 2013) -

CATEGORY: Found Footage

(Mild spoilers)

I don't make a habit of watching found-footage movies (especially of the horror variety), and Afflicted somehow manages to alternately confirm and deny the reasons why I don't do that. I went in knowing as little as possible - all I knew was that it was about two best friends going traveling only to encounter some horrible infection - but before too long it turns out that the infection is vampirism and the movie starts to play out like a more graphic version of Chronicle. That's not to say that it doesn't have its moments of creepy atmosphere or technical competence (especially when it escalates into a series of first-person action scenes towards the end), but it is very much a movie that, much like its protagonist, is cursed to live in perpetual shadow.

October 6th
Category:Tobe Hooper/Salem's Lot(1979)

Hard to believe this was made after TCM as this is a very sanitized yet still somewhat creepy adaptation of the Stephen King story. Like the other films I watched for this entry pacing and focus is an issue. At three hours it's not long enough to become attached to all of these different characters and their subsequent fall from grace the way a mini-series would yet it feels too long for a film. I wish it would have gotten the Shining treatment and took inspiration from the story not just try and adapt the novel. But it does have some decent FX for the time and some good scares. The TV breaks are horrible though.

October 7th
Category:Supernatural/Firestarter(1984)

Ugh, Carrie Jr is all sorts of a mess of a movie. So much of this movie didn't work for me, the chase part of the story was unimpressive. George C Scott is creepy but not creepy enough, Martin Sheen is there, Drew Barrymore is okay but really this is 2 hours of boredom until a final act stunt show. Great fireballs but other than that very little in this film worth noting.

October 8th
Category: From the year you were born/Forbidden World(1982)

This was a bit of a pallet cleanser after the incredibly long and poorly paced Firestarter and Salem's Lot. This is a cheap sleazy grindhouse Alien/Thing ripoff and it's glorious. Roger Corman knows how to make an entertaining film he doesn't scrimp on the sets and makes sure to add enough gore and softcore nudity to keep me entertained.

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Directed By: George A. Romero
I really enjoyed this whole movie. The begin really frammed the chaos of the world and then once they get to the mall it really takes off. I think the acting was marvelous, at time chessy, but it was charming none the less. I really like how well written the characters are, it made you really care when any of them would be in any trouble, which of course in a zombie movie, happens a lot. I really loved the effects in this movie every gunshot and wound looked fake but still awesome. The sub plots that are more interpersonal, and the character arcs in the film are all very well done because the writting is excellent. I would have been more comfortable with more of a character study like The Mist, where its all aobut surviving in this new environment. I wasn't really a fan of the raiders coming in and terrorizing them, I thought it was kind of too much to force an ending. The really interesting thing is when theres an action sequence you can tell Romero just filemd a whole bunch of different stuff and its how he edited it all together that gives it electricity. Anyways the movie was really fun.

I give it 6 gun wielding zombies out of 7 brutal home invasion head explosion

Category: Zombie Film

Tales From the Hood (1995)

Directed By: Rusty Cundieff
This movie is a god damn rollercoaster. I had a blast watching it. I love the intertwining of real complex problems facing the black communities at the time intertwining with the hilariously clever and imaginative horror plots. All of the acting is great, everyone seemed to understand when to make something serious and when to make its funny, and they executed it really well. All of the shorts are good but if I had to pick a favourite it would be the one with all the Dolls. The other awesome things is the effects all look really clean and they work so well. I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before because it blew me away loved it.

I give it 8 melting crucified cops out of 11 Donald Trump knock offs

Category: Anthology Film

Theres no commitment to finish the whole challenge. It's really just for fun but you can still kind of play along and see how far you get.
I posted three film reviews and have had one response. Hardly enuff to warrant me posting anymore.

I posted three film reviews and have had one response. Hardly enuff to warrant me posting anymore.
Most people tried to pick the same films as eachother so that we could discuss the same movies. Also I have not recived much response from most of my reviews but I'm still enjoying the contest if you want more discussion I would suggest watching the same movies as other people or commenting on the reviews for movies you have seen.
Hope you stay along for the ride

People don't always reply, but they usually read the reviews. I like seeing what movies other people watch and how they rate them.