The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Man, still need to get to that Bubba Ho-Tep. Looks like a film I could possiby LOVE. I always love me some Bruce Campbell and the concept and story seems awesome! I enjoy Mad Max: Fury Road, but I don't love it. I seem to switch back and fourth between kind of loving it and really loving it. It's a weird film for me. Wreck-It Ralph I never saw the greatness in, but I really do enjoy it. Fun movie. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind... probably a shared favorite here. Amazing movie; the concept is so unique yet the movie is so touching and genuine. Amazing peformances and inventive visuals and great romance. Love it. I really like Being John Malkovich, but I need one more revisit to decide whether I really love it. It's fun and different though and with some good themes.

The Top 10 is SO obvious to me now. But still I got surprised because I forgot a lot of the movies you liked.

You have to grow into Anderson. I was a hater at first but I don't mind him now. 3 of his films I really do like.
I've seen six of his movies and disliked all of them. I don't think I'm going to "grow into" him at this point.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
(John Cameron Mitchell, 2001)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - N/A, 2013 - 9

I HATE MUSICALS. I cannot stand it when characters break out in song and dance in the middle of a conversation. I find it cheesy - in all the wrong ways - and incredibly irritating. Musicals are probably my least favorite genre of film. But not this one. Writer, director, and star John Cameron Mitchell wisely avoided these lyrical interjections and the songs are limited to Hedwig's own performances with her band, The Angry Inch, and to quieter scenes where she writes and practices with partner Tommy Gnosis. But what makes the film great is its quick wit and engaging story about betrayal and the struggle to find one's true identity.

Ratatouille
(Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava, 2007)
Previous Rankings: 2010 -3, 2013 - 5

With stunning animation and incredible attention to detail, Ratatouille served up another helping of Pixar magic. It also offers wonderful characters and an endearing underdog (underrat?) tale. Also those rats are so adorable and of course any movie that shows them in a more positive light is going to score points with me.

First and foremost, Temple of Doom IS the best Indiana Jones movie. Also I love and adore Fury Road too. So major thumbs up there. I really liked Wreck It Ralph and got to see it in the theater. Eternal Sunshine of the Eternal Mind is the only movie I have enjoyed that Charlie Kaufman is attached to (I much prefer Lloyd Kaufman). I flat out did not like BJM.

All in all an excellent list Miss Vicky.

I really need to see Hedwig.

Wreck-It Ralph and Being John Malkovich are great. Don't like Eternal Sunshine. Ratatouille is good; i think it is the second weakest of the 10 good Pixars tho after Finding Nemo. Hedwig is pretty good, i don't love it but i do love John Cameron Mitchells performance.

Love Wreck-It Ralph, Hedwig, Malkovich, and Ratatouille!

I didn't care for Eternal Sunshine the first time and been meaning to try it agin.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Wreck-It Ralph and Ratatouille are both movies that I like, and they get better and better with each rewatch, especially Wreck-It Ralph which is becoming more of a favorite movie each time I watch it.

I don't remember much about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but I remember thinking it was a good movie.

I watched Being John Malkovich for one of the Hall of Fames, and it was an interesting movie. I wouldn't consider it a favorite movie, but it's pretty good.

Her
(Spike Jonze, 2013)
Previous Rankings: NEW TO THE LIST

Rarely have I ever seen a film that is so beautiful and so timely. Rarer still is a character that feels so heartbreakingly real. Joaquin Phoenix is phenomenal in his role of a lonely man struggling to connect. It is, to my mind, the greatest performance of his career and my favorite performance of anyone in any movie. Phoenix carries the entire film on his shoulders and he does it with a grace, sensitivity, and humanity that few actors can accomplish. But, of course, this could not happen without the masterful man behind the camera - both as director and Oscar winning screenwriter - Spike Jonze. I simply cannot recommend this movie enough.

Mary and Max.
(Adam Elliot, 2009)
Previous Rankings: NEW TO THE LIST

Those of you who are familiar with the top ten that was in my profile are probably scratching your heads right now. How can it be new to the list if it's at #8? Because I missed out on this amazing film for five years, having first seen it in 2014 - a year after my most recent countdown. I watched it on a whim because it was animated, available to stream free on Amazon Prime, and mark f thought I would like it. Well I didn't just like it. I loved it immediately. It's a beautifully animated, darkly funny, and incredibly moving tale of friendship, betrayal, and forgiveness.

Up
(Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, 2009)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - 18, 2013 - 4

Few movies have the power to make me teary eyed just by thinking about them, but this one does. Of course the opening segment where we see Carl and Ellie's story is absolutely wonderful, but I find Carl's bond with Russell to be almost as moving. I also absolutely adore Dug (and I'm not a dog person at all).

Gladiator
(Ridley Scott, 2000)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - 2, 2013 - 2

After seventeen years, the battles still thrill me, the performances still move me, and the ending still breaks my heart. This once was my absolute favorite movie and I don't see it slipping any further down the list. I saw it five times in the theater and bought it for my collection in four different formats - the orginal DVD release, the original VHS release, the extended edition DVD, and the bluray. It seems to get a lot of backlash these days, but my love for it has never waned.

Quills
(Philip Kaufman, 2000)
Previous Rankings: 2010 - 1, 2013 - 1

As if anything else would appear here. I've written many times about my love of this film (Millennium Countdown, Fifth Hall of Fame, Movie Log) and if any of you were expecting something else, you haven't been paying attention. It is simply perfectly suited to my tastes - it's dark, it's sexy, it's funny, it's subversive, and it's provocative. It's also the film that made me love Joaquin Phoenix.