The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

The Incredibles is my second favourite Pixar after WALL-E and one of my favourite animated films in general. Good to hear that it may be moving up your top 100.
Moving on to my top 100, not up it. That is, if I can figure out which other movie to cut.

Watched both Vacation and Christmas Vacation for the first time earlier this year. My parents actually owned the Vacation boxset for years but i thought they would be bad because i watched Fletch and hated it. I preferred Christmas and it's too bad i didn't try it when i was younger because i think it could've been one of those nostalgic christmas films i still love like Home Alone.
Wow. You've been missing out for years. I love both Vacation and Christmas Vacation and grew up watching them. I also prefer Christmas but I don't really recommend European Vacation if you haven't seen it yet. I don't think I've ever seen Fletch. Actually I think the only non-Lampoon Chevy Chase film (with him in a starring role) I've seen is Funny Farm, which I loved as a kid but haven't seen in ages.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
it is EXTREMELY easy to feel sorry for Clark; he really tries, really really really really hard. And I really gotta admit, it's when he finally loses it and blows a serious gasket that I cheer for him the most.
I do have a little trouble watching Christmas because of HOW BAD they put him through the grinder - but still a very funny movie.

And yes, Jay, WATCH THE ANIMATED GRINCH!!!! NOW

thank you
Oh, and don't watch a version off cable - they cut it and you have to deal with the commercials. Rent a copy from they library or bum it from someone who already owns a copy to fully enjoy it. I'm gonna do that with Rudolph if I can. Haven't seen that for FAR TOO LONG.

Moving on to my top 100, not up it.
That's how i read it at first but i second guessed myself because i know you usually have a lot of animation on your lists.

I've not seen Fletch since i was a kid, quite a few people i know with good taste like it but i hated it. The only other thing i've seen Chase in is Community i think, he's amazing in that. Have you ever seen Community?

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
You know, for whatever reason I still don't feel I've ever really 'got' The Incredibles. I've seen it 2 or 3 times and while I've always rather enjoyed it I've never come close to seeing it in the way that many other people do. For me it's always been very much in the basement positions in terms of my favourite Pixar films; I've never considered it anywhere near the same league as Wall-e and the Toy Story films for example. And yet as a fan of both Pixar and superheroes I feel I should love it, like it should be perfect for me.

Not seen it in a few years so perhaps on my next viewing I'll finally see what so many other people do

The Nightmare Before Christmas (Henry Selick, 1993)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/17/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Christmas
Rewatch: Yes.

When I saw this movie the first time, I had some reservations. I really, really don't like musicals and animated musicals are usually no exception. But with each viewing I think I actually like the songs a little more. Of course, my general positive feeling about the film is also helped tremendously by the character designs and overall look of it - a delightful blend of the whimsical and the macabre.

Despite my initial misgivings, Nightmare has been a favorite for a long time now and I usually watch it at least twice a year - and of course a December viewing is obligatory.

-

I rewatched The Secret Life of Pets on Friday. I liked it slightly less the second time around but still enjoyed it. Funny Face and I are going to go see Moana in about an hour, so I'll probably have another review up today.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I rewatched The Secret Life of Pets on Friday. I liked it slightly less the second time around but still enjoyed it. Funny Face and I are going to go see Moana in about an hour, so I'll probably have another review up today.
Hope you like Moana. Have a feeling you won't though.

Hope you like Moana. Have a feeling you won't though.
Yeah, I've got some reservations about it. But I've got a free pass and my main objective is to veg out and munch on a hot dog and some popcorn so whatever.

Inner Workings (Leonardo Matsuda, 2016)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/18/16
Cinema or Home: Cinema, with Funny Face
Reason For Watching: It played before Moana
Rewatch: No

This was a really fun and relatable short about a day in the life of an average guy working in soul-sucking office job. What makes this unique though is that it's told from the point of view of the man's organs. No words are spoken. We see only the thoughts of the brain and the reactions of various organs, including the lungs, heart, stomach, kidneys and bladder as the man encounters various temptations on his way to work and then faces the mind numbing repetition of his job. An absolute delight.

+

Moana (Ron Clements, Don Hall, John Musker and Chris Williams, 2016)
Imdb

Date Watched: 12/18/16
Cinema or Home: Cinema, with Funny Face
Reason For Watching: I'd read good things about it, but mostly I really wanted a movie theater hot dog and some popcorn (with lots of yellow chemical sludge).
Rewatch: No.

Possible Spoilers Ahead

I went into this movie with some reservations and I wish I could say they were unfounded. The movie is about a young woman who teams up with a shape-shifting demigod (with a magic fishhook) to restore the stolen heart of an island goddess so that the dying crops and disappearing fish on the woman's home island can be restored. Along they way, she is assisted by the ocean (which is a character in the film) and her dead grandmother's (manta ray) spirit. She also enters a realm of monsters (and fights a gigantic decorator crab) and does battle with with an enormous lava demon thing.

Surprisingly though - as much as I dislike heavy fantasy - none of these factors really bothered me. Most of these things were offset by the fantastic animation, breathtaking colors, and solid voice acting. I found myself really engrossed in the film... at times. Unfortunately, the filmmakers decided to make this a musical and every time I got really into it, some jackass character(s) would break out in song and dance. And the songs weren't even good or memorable, they were just irritating, overlong, and felt like useless filler. They took me right out of the movie and severely impaired my ability to enjoy much of the film. Such a shame.

-

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Completely disagree, like we always do. I didn't think the songs were that annoying. Some were actually even decent, I would say.

Completely disagree, like we always do. I didn't think the songs were that annoying. Some were actually even decent, I would say.
I hated the crap out of every single one of them. That opening number actually made me want to walk out.

Just wondering... is Moana Disney's attempt at trying to have a "Princess" of every ethnicity?
(It started out just trying to cover every hair color, then became trying to cover every race. They still need to do a Hindu fairly tale for Asian Indians and a Japanese one, because Mulan doesn't cover all Asians - and the Japanese would be very offended if Disney thinks a Chinese fairy tale is going to appease the Japanese! I don't think they have a Latina Princess yet, do they? Get on the ball, Disney!)

Looking forward to Moana. I think that's about the lowest rating i've seen for it and that is still a pretty good rating.
I rated it lower, but it appears I liked it more.

I rated it lower, but it appears I liked it more.
I know my review doesn't accurately reflect it, but I really enjoyed Moana aside from the songs. I might've actually come close to loving it had they been cut from the film.