17th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

I'll watch something this weekend as well. Not sure which one though. Probably either Amelie since it's on Netflix or Incendies. Was actually planning to watch one tonight but little psycho girl took precedence

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I finished Amelie the other night and watching The Innocents tonight

<sigh>

Okay let's get something straight here the entire central premise of the film is flawed. This is a movie logic crime film where we know now that the entire premise of the film wouldn't work with today's focus of realism. A loanshark or any criminal is not going to give four men a week to come up with 250,000 or was it 500,000 I don't know their are to many characters. It wouldn't be possible for those men to come up with the money and when backed into a corner they would either go to the police and try and turn you in or they would try and kill you. In the real world if you get caught in a situation like that they would bleed you over time or they would try and extort what they could from you (the bar). This is the sort of thing a screen writer wannabe tough guy would think up in his film class. So as a crime film it fails...now as a comedy.

If you look at this as a parody of Pulp Fiction and not a parroting of Pulp Fiction perhaps you can get a couple chuckles out of it. Everyone speaks like they are giving quips for a trailer, you have Vinnie Jones running around with his son raising him to be a thug (I guess like Leon). All the black characters look like Samuel L Jackson not that you get to know any of these people.

Does the film have a bit of hutzpah that keeps you entertained..sure. I felt that way when I saw this film, as a teenager renting it from Blockbuster video as an adult male who now saw all the films they've ripped off...this didn't age well for me at all.

Lean on Pete (2017)

Lean on Pete put me in mind of some of my favourite films of 2017. I didn't like it as much as those but it ended up surprising me. Sparse dialogue and visual focus. Like others, I assumed that this was would primarily focus on the boy-horse relationship. And that there was a decent chance that it would try to milk sadness in the worst way. I was only kind of right on one of those.

The first half of the film is ok but I was never blown away by it. Always nice to see Steve Buscemi though. But it becomes this cool meandering experience after that. The narrative shift isn't jarring but feels natural. Even if it takes somewhat of a leap of logic. Stealing in America is this easy? I was also impressed with how Haigh is able to land this without it edging into sentimental.

Charlie Plummer is good, I could easily see someone saying he's lifeless here at times but it's fully by design. There's this great moment where he's just staring at his own reflection and it really gets across the weight Charley is feeling in that moment.

I actually bought a ticket to see Lean on Pete earlier this year in the theatre but couldn't go because I was sick. Good to get around to it.

The Dressmaker

So I watch 2 movies per week via Netflix DVD. I use my friend's account who doesn't have much time to watch movies, and when she does, she just uses the streaming service. She lives an hour north of me, but it's conveniently on my work delivery route. I pick up the DVDs Friday, mail them out Monday, and they get to her house Wednesday. The point of me telling this is that I use these two DVDs to try to find something my wife will enjoy watching with me on the weekend. This weekend I picked The Dressmaker as one of my two movies. The other reason for me telling this is that my friend happened to try The Dressmaker on Thursday, and she told me she liked it a lot. She rarely tries one of the DVDs I order.

Anyway, right when the movie started with the opening credits, my wife and I both mentioned how it reminded us of the TV shows on Netflix or HBO. I guess because of the style and musical score. In fact, the whole movie reminded me of a Netflix or HBO production, and that's not at all a bad thing with the type of quality that comes from those services. On the other hand, it's probably not a good thing either. One thing I was not a fan of was the scope of the movie. After reading the synopsis, I expected to actually see her in Paris and hopping on a plane. What we end up with is the whole movie set in a town which looks like a movie set that was constructed in two weeks. That would be fine if great material overwhelms the production, but I didn't think it quite got there. I feel like some people may praise the look of the movie, but other than the dresses, I wasn't impressed.

I really liked the story and what they tried to do with it. It gave me a little bit of a Wes Anderson vibe with it's quirkyness. I thought it worked somewhat but the tone was all over the place. It came off a little odd for my liking. There are plenty of good moments but it's very up and down. There's a sudden development about two thirds in that I would love in most movies, but here it felt morbid and off-putting. Overall the movie works well as a dark comedy, but when it got serious it just didn't feel right.

The performances and characters worked pretty well for me. I just thought Hemsworth seemed out of place. Winslet was good but not great. I thought Judy Davis stole the show and was the best part of the movie. Other characters ranged from effectively unlikable or peculiar. The great news is that my wife absolutely loved the movie. I mean, she said this was one of the best movies I've gotten in a while. The last movie she loved was The Shape of Water. It is rare that she likes any movie more than I do. That alone made it an excellent movie night. For my part I can at least say I enjoyed it. Looking at it with a critical eye, I thought it was an average movie.

The Aviator (2004)
Directed By: Martin Scorsese
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Cate Blanchett, John C. Reilly

While it's painfully obvious now, I didn't initially understand that Scorsese was attempting to replicate the look of bipack colour for earlier parts of the film until a few scenes heavily featuring grass or other supposedly green flora passed. I caught myself pulling out my phone to google whether or not “cyan plants” exist when it finally hit me, and I promptly felt like an idiot. I would've preferred if the opening scene when Hughes was a child had been shot in black and white, since the aesthetic choices would've had a more immediate impact, and mirror the jump in vibrancy from Multicolour to three-strip Technicolour that happens later on. Though even without black and white photography for the introduction, the colour choices are very clever, and the film's cinematography was excellent from start to finish.

As for the performances, I was not a fan of Cate Blanchett at the start. For her first few scenes, she just seemed very fake, making her personality borderline insufferable. It didn't take long for her to feel more natural and for that odd front to drop, which is when I started to think that perhaps that was how the real Katherine Hepburn acted around people before she got to know them. I don't know whether or not that's accurate, but it's how she came across to me in the film, and it made those earlier mannerisms retroactively more enjoyable, if that makes any sense. Adam Scott never felt right to me, but I loved Jude Law's short appearances as Errol Flynn, and the supporting cast as a whole were great.

I do however have mixed opinions about DiCaprio. I'll preface this by saying that this is definitely the best performance I've ever seen from him, and there were plenty of times throughout the film when I was actually quite impressed. But for some reason, DiCaprio almost always feels likes he's acting a part to me, and the youthful features of his face frequently make me perceive him as a 16-year old who is pretending to be an adult. There were a number of more dramatic sequences that were really good, until he turned his face a certain way or made a certain expression, and it would completely take me out of the moment. His perpetually young appearance made it more difficult to discern the passage of time as well, though contextual clues and changes in lighting and colour certainly helped.

While my reservations about DiCaprio might sound like a major issue, it didn't actually affect my overall enjoyment of the film. The runtime didn't feel like it dragged, and I was thoroughly engaged for most of it. I especially enjoyed the Senate hearings, and the short comments from radio announcers throughout the story. If I rated the Hall of Fame nominations, I'd probably give this film a bonus star for DiCaprio very nearly saying “Newfoundland” correctly while explaining his plans for Trans-Atlantic flights. He just needed to pronounce that “D” on the end, though its absence might just have been a consequence of his character's dialect. He might not have changed my opinion of him as an actor very much with this film, but he certainly earned some respect.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aviator.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	48248  

What we end up with is the whole movie set in a town which looks like a movie set that was constructed in two weeks.
Now that I think about it, were there even enough houses for all the town's residents? haha

It could've been intentionally small for comedic purposes though, and to emulate that "there's literally nothing here" feeling that comes with small towns.

That reminds me of something I was going to say about The Dressmaker. Despite how hilariously small Dungatar was in comparison to most real places, I think it did a great job capturing the spirit of a small town. The place I grew up in, despite being the largest in the area with a population over 4000 and the only town around with a hospital, felt really small. Especially with the way people behave in rural communities, it often felt like only a handful of people actually lived there, and since moving away the place seems even smaller than it did back then.

Since everything was basically just a stone's throw away, you could easily replicate the atmosphere of the place by sticking all the essential buildings on one small street, much like how Dungatar looks. Perhaps Dungatar was actually larger than it appeared, but what we see is just Tilly's perception of it. Or maybe the filmmakers just wanted a comically tiny location, I don't know haha. Either way, I think they succeeded in boiling down the small town experience into something that could be filmed in its entirety simply by standing at the other end of the road.

A loanshark or any criminal is not going to give four men a week to come up with 250,000 or was it 500,000 I don't know their are to many characters. It wouldn't be possible for those men to come up with the money and when backed into a corner they would either go to the police and try and turn you in or they would try and kill you. In the real world if you get caught in a situation like that they would bleed you over time or they would try and extort what they could from you (the bar).
Only thing that bothered me on this was the actual card game. I'm pretty sure that the concepts of all in and side pot are way older than the film so the whole requirement for loan doesn't make any sense (this concept in general seems to be pretty unknown to film makers).

Otherwise I don't see the problem. The game was fixed so there was no risk. And he seemed to count on the fact that they can't pay within a week and was actually just trying to get the bar. Of course the film wasn't realistic at all but I'm quite sure everyone involved was aware of that

The Dressmaker

...my friend happened to try The Dressmaker on Thursday, and she told me she liked it a lot....

The great news is that my wife absolutely loved the movie. I mean, she said this was one of the best movies I've gotten in a while...
Maybe your wife or your friend can vote for you this time

... Despite how hilariously small Dungatar was in comparison to most real places, I think it did a great job capturing the spirit of a small town. The place I grew up in, despite being the largest in the area with a population over 4000 and the only town around with a hospital, felt really small. Especially with the way people behave in rural communities, it often felt like only a handful of people actually lived there, and since moving away the place seems even smaller than it did back then.

Since everything was basically just a stone's throw away, you could easily replicate the atmosphere of the place by sticking all the essential buildings on one small street, much like how Dungatar looks. Perhaps Dungatar was actually larger than it appeared, but what we see is just Tilly's perception of it. Or maybe the filmmakers just wanted a comically tiny location, I don't know haha. Either way, I think they succeeded in boiling down the small town experience into something that could be filmed in its entirety simply by standing at the other end of the road.
The town in The Dressmaker really reminded me of the town in an Australian mini series A Town Like Alice (1981) which was also this tiny outback town in the middle of nowhere with a tight knit community of all these very judgemental people who were cruel to the outsider.

Or maybe the filmmakers just wanted a comically tiny location, I don't know haha.
That's exactly what I think too, I mean the town is called Dung-atar ha! It's not a reality based film for sure, and the film maker's style isn't going for a reality story, so the small town with the old run-down shack on top of the hill is more symbolic and mood setting.

BTW I lied! I didn't watch Aviator last night. I swear every time I announce I'm watching a film, I never ended up doing it.

Okay, I think I'm all caught up on linking reviews. We're about a week in now and if my count is correct we have 27 write-ups posted so far! We still have five participants who have not posted any reviews yet, but everyone has checked in.

BTW @cricket Lean on Pete is available to stream on Amazon Prime if you have any desire to watch it sooner.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007)

I'm so glad that this was nominated. I'd heard great things about it, but hadn't gotten around to watching it. Until last night...I'm impressed!

This is film making as art...

I loved the choice of slow story telling combined with the documentary style of voice over narration. It's an effective way of telling the tale of the assassination, as it felt very personal. I liked the way the point of view was from Robert Ford and not Jesse James. This kept Jesse James as an enigma, and that's how the film presented him as, a man of mystery.

The look of the film is pure artistry, the colors are de-saturated to give a vintage look and feel to the film. Backing that up is slow camera movement with long scene takes and smooth scene transitions that often focus on scenery to allow the viewer time to digest what they've just seen, before going into the next scene.

One of the most amazing things about this movie was the use of blurred (out of focus) panels on the sides of some of the shots...like in the photo I used above. I've been noticing this trend on still photography in the last couple of years, but never had seen done in a movie before. This film might be the genesis for that movement...The blurred edges aren't just ascetics, they work to focus attention on the subject in the center of the frame, while ignoring the information on the edges that have been blurred. I think that's so cool!

OMG! The spoken dialogue between the characters was perfect vernacular for the 1880s. Not many movies get this common man's language & style of speaking correctly. Notice there's no F bombs and when they talk sex talk, they use phrases and terms that would be common in the 1880's, but not today. The scriptwriter deserves an Oscar!

Generally I'm not a huge fan of Brad Pitt but he was perfect here as the quiet, yet sometimes animated, dark and enigmatic man of violence...who's also a caring family man. Pitt extruded this hidden dangerous streak that scarred the hell out of his men. I believed he was dangerous so it worked.

Cassey Affleck was amazing in this. The movie is told from his perspective and damn he deserved an Oscar too. I thought he was great in Manchester by the Sea but I liked his performance here even better. He's so good at letting the audience inside his head, that I felt like I was in his shoes. He's so natural and real on screen. The rest of the cast was exceptional and kudos goes to the director for keeping all the performances in balance with the subtle style of the film.

The Assassination of Jesse James is going to figure high on my list. I can tell this is going to be a hard HoF for me to decide what my #1 movie is.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) s.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	48253  

@cricket Lean on Pete is available to stream on Amazon Prime if you have any desire to watch it sooner.
Thanks! I won't watch it sooner but now I don't have to use up one of my DVDs.

Just finished Incendies. I need to give myself a little time to collect my thoughts before deciding where the final rating lands but it seems to hover somewhere between OK and good (3 or 3.5 / 5). Probably will write the review tomorrow. Anyways it's quite unusual that I've seen four films from a HoF and I'm at least considering to claim all of them good

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
10-day check in! I'm still in, just been very busy! Next week I'll finish the russian language HoF then I'll go into this full force! I'll have some free time finally during the next couple weeks!