R.I.P. Alex Trebek

Tools    

What is "tremendous sorrow"?

This is devastating. We lost another one of “the good ones.” I haven’t felt this sad since Mr. Rogers passed away...
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

We watched what would be Alex's last show on Friday - not knowing it would be his last show.
He worked right up until he died.

Today the TV was on with the sound off and I saw Jeopardy on the screen - I thought it was a repeat they sometimes show in the daytime. I was about to ask my mother if she wanted to watch Jeopardy when a headline banner came across the screen announcing Alex's death. That's when I realized it was a news station... and I had to break the news to my mom.

My guess is that Ken Jennings might take a try at hosting - he's been featured not too long ago as a presenter (someone in a video that asks a question - or actually gives an answer) on the show.

Ah geez, I hate to hear that. Pancreatic cancer has an extremely poor prognosis and survival rate. But he seemed to keep going. Some folks one gets used to them always being around....

I used to love Art Flemming (Trebek's predecessor on Jeopardy!), and didn't care for Trebek when he took over. However he grew on me over time, and it was obvious how excellent he was at his job.

I ran into him on a golf course in L.A. right about the time Trebek took over the show. He was on the next fairway, and I yelled over at him, "Great show Alex!" He was classy enough to yell back, "Hey, thanks a lot, man!".

He was perfect for that show, and evidently was quite a philanthropist.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Use to love Jeopardy, I don’t think anyone should replace him.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This is such sad news.

I loved when he would play himself in cameo appearances on shows like "Cheers" and "The Golden Girls". He always seemed like such a nice person.

July 22, 1940 — November 8, 2020

No way. I did not know this. Wow, he really fought the good fight. Never showed any weakness or a trace of self-pity.

We should also spell his name correctly. Alex Trebek.

R.I.P. ✝️🙏