This is Us

Tools    

Just watched the pilot for a quirky and offbeat comedy drama that works so hard at being something different that it might be a little too different for the targeted demographic. This is an hour long show comprised of three different stories: A married couple who are expecting triplets; a wealthy black executive who has finally tracked down his biological father who left him at a firehouse shortly after his birth; a TV star who has just had a meltdown in front of studio audience and his overweight, twin sister. Oddly, the only thread between these three stories is that the dad in the 1st, the executive in the second, and the twins in the 3rd, were all born on the same day and are all 36 years old. There were some interesting comic and dramatic moments here and there, but they had very little to do with this connecting thread and if the show should progress, I suspect that thread will grow even thinner if that's possible. Milo Ventimiglia was solid as the expectant dad in the pilot, Sterling K. Brown, who recently won an Emmy for The People Vs OJ Simpson, was kind of annoying as the adopted executive, but I really liked Justin Hartley, last seen on primetime as Patrick on Revenge and on daytime as Adam on The Young and the Restless as the star of a sitcom called The Man-ny and Chrissy Metz as his twin but I just don't see any longevity here...I don't know how this premise can be stretched into a weekly series, but I've only watched the pilot and they are four shows in and 10 are in the can, so we'll see. but...I don't know...

Just finished episode 2 and I am speechless...the premise of this show was a total red herring and this is turning out to be something pretty special, which is probably why no one will be watching it.

sounds interesting,i think i might check it out. i wish it was a mix marriage though- i hate how in tv shows theres always the white couple and the black couple.

Episode 3 had flashes of brilliance...am loving the story of the twins (Justin Hartley, Chrissy Matz) and Kate's budding romance with Chris. There's one plot point that still needs clarification for me, but I'm totally hooked on this one.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Just finished episode 2 and I am speechless...the premise of this show was a total red herring and this is turning out to be something pretty special, which is probably why no one will be watching it.

If I remember correctly, they gave away the twist at the very end of the first episode.

Pay close attention because there are more twists coming.

If I remember correctly, they gave away the twist at the very end of the first episode.

Pay close attention because there are more twists coming.
Glad you're watching this, GBG, I had a feeling you might like this...I just wish I had started watching when it actually premiered, but I only have one more to watch that has already been aired. According to the IMDB, there are 10 in the can already.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm one episode behind (so I've seen 3). I really like this show and loved the ending to the first episode.

My one gripe, is that I hope they give Kate more to do than complain about her weight every episode, but her speech to the guy she is with "it will always be about the weight" makes me think otherwise.

Suspect's Reviews

Just wrapped episode 5 and this show is continuing to kill it. This has become the show on my viewing schedule that when it's over, I can't wait to see the next one. This episode went a few places I didn't initially understand and did some very subtle foreshadowing that I've been expecting. This show is something very, very special that has become appointment television for me. Milo Ventigmiglia is revelation as Jack and Justin Hartley is proving to be more than a pretty face.

I think "This Is Us" is one of the best new shows this season. I loved Milo Ventimiglia in "Heroes", and Justin Hartley in "Smallville", so it's nice to see both of them again each week.

OK, just finished episode six and this show just keeps getting better with each episode...one scene has me squirming and the next fighting tears...that's entertainment.

OK, just finished episode six and this show just keeps getting better with each episode...one scene has me squirming and the next fighting tears...that's entertainment.

I agree 100%. This show is amazing. I loved the scene with Justin Hartley and the girl in the kitchen. I was crying and laughing at the same time.

Watched episode 7 and this show continues to be appointment television...the scenes between Justin Hartley and Sterling K Brown sizzled with intensity and balanced perfectly with the scenes of their characters as teenagers...the ugliness of the relationship between Kate and Toby continues to ring true as well. This show continues to simultaneously entertain and keep my stomach in my knots.

Episode 8...the Thanksgiving episode was another bold, heartbreaking, unconventional, challenging 44 minutes that actually ignited the tear ducts. This show is so freaking brilliant and it's such a shame that no one is watching it. Continues to be the only show on television right now where I actually get a little upset when it's over and can't wait for the next one.

OK, Episode 9 had me literally yelling back at the television screen...I'm starting to love certain characters and I'm starting to hate certain characters and there are things in every episode that make me laugh, have me fighting tears, and just plain piss me off...God, I love this show.

I finally caught up to the current episode, and this show just brings out every emotion in every episode.

I can't believe that Kate broke up with Toby. They seemed like such a great couple. I hope they get back together again.

Hubby and I are on opposite sides of the fence about Randall and his mother. What do you think? Do you think he's wrong to be that angry with her? Should she have told Randall about his real father? Did she have a good reason to keep it from him? Should she at least have told her husband?

Even if he's right to be that angry, I can't believe that he went to her to tell her about his list, but he still left it "out there" until Christmas. I think the writers are just trying to drag it out a little bit more so that the fall finale will be that much more dramatic.

And what do you think about the line "Nothing bad happens on Christmas" in the trailer for the next episode? They're making it look like the doctor who brought Randall to them might die, but I think that might be a red herring. Do you think we'll finally find out what happened to their father?

As far as the Randall/Rebecca thing, I see both sides...the scene where Rebecca visited younger William made me understand Rebecca's fear of William visiting Randall, but she DEFINITELY should have told Jack. Leaving Jack in the dark about her knowing William was completely wrong. Rebecca should have told Randall when he got a little older, maybe when he was in high school with an explanation. On the other hand, Randall needed to confront Rebecca immediately about what he was feeling. I don't like the way he took out his anger towards Rebecca on everyone else in his life...the way he shut Kevin and Kate out at the cabin was wrong as was his fantasy confrontation with Jack where he wanted to share his "list" of why he's angry with Rebecca. Frankly, the list was kind of childish but it should have been shared with Rebecca and no one else. Randall is acting like a child right now and letting his anger keep him from healing. He can only heal by confronting Rebecca and he doesn't want to do that right now. Didn't see the trailer for next episode, I watch the show online and they don't show trailers.

I can see both sides of the Randall/Rebecca thing too, but at some point, he was old enough that she should have told him about his father. I understand that she was afraid of losing him, but he deserved to know. What she did was selfish, and IMO, to keep that secret for over 30 years is just inexcusable.

It also could have changed William's life. Maybe if his son was in his life, he would have had a reason to straighten out his life, and he could have had a better life.

I don't know how much the mushrooms had to do with Randall taking out his problems on everyone else. Maybe if he was in his right mind, he would have dealt with the whole issue better, but without the mushrooms, we probably wouldn't have had the scenes with him and Jack, and they were priceless.

This is the promo for next week's episode: (They're usually on YouTube within about 24 hours of the previous episode airing.)

This is the promo for next week's episode: (They're usually on YouTube within about 24 hours of the previous episode airing.)

I have a feeling this is the episode where we're going to learn what happened to Jack.