Halloween Is Coming... 20 Movies To Watch Before It Gets Here

→ in
Tools    

The Haunting is great. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir... Not so much. Not bad, I just don't like it the way some many others do.

I though Mrs Muir would be a nice halfway breaker... a Ghost story without the scary stuff. I found it a little twee in parts as I said, but it's still a good film.

Top 10 coming up in a few hours... I've got pool tonight...

Great thread idea; just tweeted it out. Seems like it can and should spawn copycats, too! Counting down to Halloween with our favorite horror films is a great idea.

Just the premise of falling in love with something you can't readily have. The sort of "uncompromising connection" between two characters.

The premise reminded me a tiny bit of A Matter Of Life And Death... maybe it's also down to the time the film was made. Romance films of that era were always a little twee.

nice The Innocents pick Rodent creepy halloween-time movie, Sleepy Hollow is fun too, The Haunting pretty good as well. Dr John Markway is a cool dude, played by Richard Johnson. Saw The Ring in theaters in 2002, that was an interesting experience, haven't seen it since

Curious for the top 10

You know what, I've got 10 minutes to spare... I'll give a little taster of what the Top 10 will have.

The Sixth Sense

I've hammered this film a few times in the past... but it's still an effective horror-thriller.
Shyalabalabingbong's most effective tale too.
Worth it's place on my Ghosts List.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Although I can understand the people who watch The Ghost and Mrs. Muir feeling sentimental about the film, it is itself surprisingly sober and tough-minded about the situation. I find it basically twee-free. Now, the TV show is another thing. Happy you included it though.

Scrooged

Yeah I know, it's technically a Christmas movie but the ghostly stuff going on is worth a pop in the lead up to Halloween and Christmas is, after all, just around the corner.
The comic nature of the film is also perfect for a fun Halloween.

Sleepy Hollow

Tim Burton taking on the Headless Horseman? Yeah, definitely a Ghost Movie that needs a place on the list.
Not scary exactly, but definitely stylish and has some decent atmosphere.
this film is great. My favorite choice so far

That's definitely it for now... gotta get my pool shirt on before Robbo arrives to give me a lift to the match

The Shining

The perfect Horror for a Top 10 and psychologically might not actually be a ghost story... or is it... or is it.. yes... no...
Yeah, watch and work it out for yourself

A Nightmare On Elm Street

The original slasher, well, maybe not the original, but in Ghostly terms, certainly the most remembered... no Halloween would be complete without a visit from Freddy.

The Fog

Next to The Thing, this is Carpenter's other masterpiece... Ghosts Galore, using hooks and various other fishing equipment to get their revenge on people who don't actually deserve it.
Atmosphere is tops too... reminds me of my youth on yachts... hoping for an adventure.