Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The part where he demands that Stella make out with him in the car and then we she refuses he repeats the demand in an angrier voice (a scene that happens in the first encounter between the two) put me off of his character so much. And then once Kelp is also a lech, there's no one to really click with.

Also, OMG THIS QUOTE: "A woman doing comedy doesn't offend me but sets me back a bit. I, as a viewer, have trouble with it. I think of her as a producing machine that brings babies in the world."
Yes, the key to enjoying a Lewis film is to pretend that Lewis the actual person doesn't exist. I've never heard of him doing anything on a Cosby level, he just strikes me as a sleaze. As much as I like (some of) his films, he's not someone I spend a lot of time reading about, let's put it that way.

I did genuinely enjoy watching Lewis perform. I haven't seen him in much, though obviously many of his cultural ripples have crossed my path (like in the scientist character in The Simpsons). But the muddled narrative and unappealing central romance made this a borderline-tedious watch.
I haven't seen The Nutty Professor in ages (although it looks like it's on Prime, so might revisit it soon), but from my experience, the less Lewis talks, the better his movies are. I find him to be a really strong comedian and director of comedy, but anytime he opens his mouth...yeesh, like nails on a chalkboard.

I will gently recommend The Bellboy and The Ladies Man, directed by himself, and The Disorderly Orderly, directed by Frank Tashlin. They show off his strengths in those departments pretty impressively and put him in much more endearing (or at least less off-putting) roles than The Nutty Professor.

Also on the topic of Lewis, I'm tempted to half-heartedly recommend Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla, which stars Duke Mitchell of Massacre Mafia Style and Gone with the Pope (the Grindhouse Releasing blu-rays of which include this as a special feature), a Jerry Lewis impersonator whom Lewis sued for stealing his act, and the Lord God of Cinema Bela Lugosi putting in a committed performance like the ********* professional he was. Not a "good" movie, but an interesting curio and not without its charms.

I will gently recommend The Bellboy and The Ladies Man, directed by himself, and The Disorderly Orderly, directed by Frank Tashlin. They show off his strengths in those departments pretty impressively and put him in much more endearing (or at least less off-putting) roles than The Nutty Professor.
Pretty much the same ones I'd recommend. I'd add The Patsy to that list too.

I haven't seen The Nutty Professor in ages (although it looks like it's on Prime, so might revisit it soon), but from my experience, the less Lewis talks, the better his movies are. I find him to be a really strong comedian and director of comedy, but anytime he opens his mouth...yeesh, like nails on a chalkboard.

I will add that The Ladies Man has one sequence so disarmingly beautiful that it feels like an outtake from The Red Shoes. But because it features Lewis doing his (silent) shtick, I also chuckled all the way through.

Yeah, this is one of my favorites of the genre, I just saw for the first time a few years ago, and now I recommend to everybody, whether they like the genre or not, classic movies or not, whatever, watch this damn movie.
Damn good movie. I don't know if you've seen it yet but you should try out Ride the Pink Horse with Robert Montgomery, Wanda Hendrix and Thomas Gomez. Another first rate noir.

I agree. Here's some commentary I did from last year:

The Big Heat (1953)
Directed by the formidable Fritz Lang, with memorable
noir lighting by cinematographer Charles Lang (no relation), the film features one of Glenn Ford’s grittiest roles, while the other stars themselves compete for similar grittiness in this sordid tale of murder, graft and betrayal; all prime noir ingredients.

Ford plays a detective who initially investigates the suspicious suicide of a fellow detective who may have
had ties to the mob which is virtually running the city. As a result, his wife played by Jocelyn Brando (Marlon’s sister), ends up accidentally paying the price. Ford embarks on a possessed revenge hunt which brings him into contact with the incomparable Gloria Grahame, the sadistic Lee Marvin, and the chilling crime boss Alexander Scourby.

In 1953 the good guys still won out in the end, but there is a full array of story
and action packed into the movie’s 90 minutes. There is a surprising amount of frank brutality and violence for its time, unique for its day. In one scene Gloria Grahame is the recipient of a cruel act that was so shocking that it remains today as a memorable example from the era. Lang had a penchant for brutality, and he let out all the stops in this picture.

An interesting point
about this film is that, although films noir are often noted for their use of a femme fatale, here we see Ford used practically as anhomme fatale: all four women who he is involved with meet a violent end.

Despite that noir had already been well developed by 1953, this picture is a prime example of the form in general and Fritz Lang’s style in specific.
WARNING: spoilers below
That hot coffee scene was shocking even though it happened offscreen. Then having her turn around and do it to Lee Marvin's character was an audacious touch.

Pretty much the same ones I'd recommend. I'd add The Patsy to that list too.
*adds to watchlist*

Captain Marvel - Finally watched this. Now all I need to do is rewatch Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Avengers: Endgame and my Marvel debt is paid up.This isn't upper tier Marvel though. Too many callbacks, too many unintended (intended?) homages to other movies. Not to mention an alien villain with an inexplicable Australian accent. British accents I can handle but Ben Mendelsohn's, "What is it that I'm going for here?" bad guy was kind of hard to buy into.

I know the whole point was that he wasn't actually the bad guy but I thought this was a weird way to get to that point.

Anyway, it might not be prime Marvel but it's okay. 80/100

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Moonraker (Lewis Gilbert, 1979)
This clearly only exists because Jaws turned out to be such a massively popular character and thus this film is structured to squeeze him into as many scenes as possible. This is (of course) a wonderful thing and the scattershot nature of the plot leads to an abundance of cool set pieces and Lewis Gilbert really knows how to shoot these kind of films. It is a bit of a double-edged sword as the plot is impossible to follow and any scene that's pushing the story forward in any way feels like its getting in the way of something fun happening just around the corner. That being said though, the fun is there far, far more often than not but there's always that mild sting of cynicism that comes with a film made to specifically capitalize on a previous success.

For Your Eyes Only (John Glen, 1981)
A refreshingly (as I've been watching two of these a day) small-scale Bond adventure that's far from perfect but I enjoyed the vibe of it and despite the lack of spectacle has some really impressive stunt work and some decently suspenseful moments. A likeable, though perhaps not must-see entry to the franchise that I'm probably overrating a tad. Great theme song though.

Current Bond rankings:
01. From Russia with Love
02. Thunderball
03. The Spy Who Loved Me
04. Diamonds are Forever
05. Moonraker
06. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
07. Dr. No
08. The Man with the Golden Gun
09. For Your Eyes Only
10. Live and Let Die
11. You Only Live Twice
12. Goldfinger

'Promising Young Woman' (2020)

A fun film. Wasn't sure about the ending but Carrie Mulligan was absolutely excellent. Very promising for a debut feature from Emerald Fennell.

6.8/10

Just finished watching Nameless Gangster. It didn't work for me. It didn't have any structure. The plotlines were bizzare at times (specifically how the hero manages to come out of every tricky situation is a little unbelievable).

Current Bond rankings:
01. From Russia with Love
02. Thunderball
03. The Spy Who Loved Me
04. Diamonds are Forever
05. Moonraker
06. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
07. Dr. No
08. The Man with the Golden Gun
09. For Your Eyes Only
10. Live and Let Die
11. You Only Live Twice
12. Goldfinger

Still surprised to see Goldfinger at the bottom after all those films

Victim of The Night
The part where he demands that Stella make out with him in the car and then we she refuses he repeats the demand in an angrier voice (a scene that happens in the first encounter between the two) put me off of his character so much. And then once Kelp is also a lech, there's no one to really click with.

Also, OMG THIS QUOTE: "A woman doing comedy doesn't offend me but sets me back a bit. I, as a viewer, have trouble with it. I think of her as a producing machine that brings babies in the world."
Wait, who the hell said that?!!!

Also, I wonder if there was a more misogynistic time in American History than the 1950s and 1960s. As thoughtful people so often say, when people in this country pine for "The Good Old Days", they're really talking about that brief period between WWII and Civil Rights when the White Male was at his absolute worst in this country and everyone else was at their most oppressed (since Slavery).

Victim of The Night
Yes, the key to enjoying a Lewis film is to pretend that Lewis the actual person doesn't exist. I've never heard of him doing anything on a Cosby level, he just strikes me as a sleaze. As much as I like (some of) his films, he's not someone I spend a lot of time reading about, let's put it that way.
I agree. I also grew up on Jerry Lewis films (we were probably watching the same channels at the same time from what our history talking sounds like) and despite the appeal to a young person of his comedy, Lewis really strikes me as kind of a piece of ****.

Victim of The Night
Damn good movie. I don't know if you've seen it yet but you should try out Ride the Pink Horse with Robert Montgomery, Wanda Hendrix and Thomas Gomez. Another first rate noir.
I have not but I will definitely add it to the queue.

Victim of The Night
That hot coffee scene was shocking even though it happened offscreen. Then having her turn around and do it to Lee Marvin's character was an audacious touch.
If any beverage can really amp a movie up to 11...

Victim of The Night
Captain Marvel - Finally watched this. Now all I need to do is rewatch Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Avengers: Endgame and my Marvel debt is paid up.This isn't upper tier Marvel though. Too many callbacks, too many unintended (intended?) homages to other movies. Not to mention an alien villain with an inexplicable Australian accent. British accents I can handle but Ben Mendelsohn's, "What is it that I'm going for here?" bad guy was kind of hard to buy into.

I know the whole point was that he wasn't actually the bad guy but I thought this was a weird way to get to that point.

Anyway, it might not be prime Marvel but it's okay. 80/100
This was probably the most disappointing film in the MCU (thus far) for me.
I mean, when Thor: The Dark World came out, expectations for Marvel movies weren't that high yet and Iron Man 2 had already checked my expectations (another big disappointment, but hey, it confirmed The Avengers was coming!) so, as (rightly) maligned as it is, I wasn't that disappointed. Doctor Strange was too paint-by-numbers for me and that disappointed me to.
But none of them as much as this one.
When I heard they were making this, I was giddy. I grew up a huge Captain Marvel fan, he was one of the shortest list of the Marvel heroes I wanted to be.
When I heard they were going with the female version, I was totally on board as this is a character that was primed for that, and I had actually grown up a Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel fan from the comics as well (I was a comic-book kid in the late 70s and early 80s). I bought all the recent Captain Marvel collections to get caught up on what the Carol Danvers version of this character was about.
When I heard they had gotten some indie directors to do it, I was hopeful they would understand how to handle a cosmic property and that Feige would hold their hands through it. Hell, Taika rocked it.
When I heard they cast Brie Larson I was... ehhhh... I was thrilled they landed an Oscar-winning actress for the role, I really wasn't sure Brie was the right person for it.
The movie comes out and, let's face it, Brie is not the right person for this. Maybe it'll get better but she was miscast. The script is... really not great. Really. And I just don't think the directors were comfortable in this film. A lot of stuff doesn't really work and the movie almost comes off feeling more like it should have been a Disney+ release than a theatrical one.
It has some wonderful moments and some really great call-backs to the comics, including my favorite Nova moment, stolen for this character and film, but hey I was happy to see it on-screen and I like this character too, so, fine, but overall the movie has some really stupid **** in it, some of which irreparably damages the MCU (like Fury's eye).
Hopefully, they'll do better going forward, I hope they get someone else to direct CM2, for sure, though I know we'll see Carol in other Marvel crossovers before then.

I have not but I will definitely add it to the queue.
I'm surprised at it's relative obscurity. It certainly has all the ingredients of a good noir. The taciturn loner antihero, double and triple crosses, a femme fatale and a Maguffin that sets the whole thing in motion.

Maybe it was the movie's choice of settings that put people off. A small village in New Mexico as opposed to crowded big city streets. Either way I highly recommend it.