Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Shadows: The Waiting Room (TV, 1975) – 4/10

The fourth episode in the series and it's interesting to see how the early episodes followed either of two phenomena:

WARNING: spoilers below
possession or time travel

It's making me laugh how 'terribly terribly posh' the central characters have been in all but After School , though that doesn't detract from a lot of good performances – the actresses especially (Jenny Agutter in this case – it's always brothers and trains with her isn't it?).

I thought this story was reasonable but the denouement was a great example of the rule quit while you're ahead. That's why I've ended up rating it so low.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)

Once in every generation or so a film comes along that perfectly addresses the public’s mood, while simultaneously satirizing the bleakness of its subject matter. Dr. Strangelove is one of history’s finest examples of satirical black comedy at its highest level.

During the mid 1960s the country was in its height of the Cold War. The Bay of Pigs had occurred; President Kennedy and Soviet Premier Khrushchev had a major nuclear standoff; and finally the unthinkable JFK assassination-- all had combined to put the country on edge.
Dr. Stangelove was a welcome source of gallows humor to help let off a little steam from the pressure cooker. As one can see from the film’s accessory title --”How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb”-- people could honestly imagine and fear a nuclear conflict between the two superpowers.

Peter Sellers variegated earlier body of work, including The Pink Panther, attracted director Stanley Kubrick to cast Sellers in three distinct roles, including the title character, the U.S. president, and a military Group Captain. The film gets most of its comedic heft from Sellers’ memorable portrayal of these three parts. Sellers’ sight gags, mannerisms, voice accents, and complete character inhabitation provide wonderful satire.

The supporting cast is
a dream, with first rate performances by Sterling Hayden, George C. Scott, and the venerable Slim Pickens. Reportedly Kubrick got an indelible performance from Scott by telling him to try a few sample takes in an over-the-top manner, but then used those takes in the film. Pickens was lead to believe that his was a serious role, learning only later that the film was a dark comedy.

Entire books can be written discussing Strangelove”, its background, all the people involved, and its significance; but suffice to say that this movie is not only a top comedy, but one of the best films of the 20th Century.

Doc's rating: 10/10

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 120%; text-align: left; }p.western { font-family: "Waree", serif; font-size: 12pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "Noto Sans CJK SC Regular"; font-size: 12pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "FreeSans"; font-size: 12pt; }

The Founder

There Will Be Blood but with burger patties and Michael Keaton.

Really.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I've never considered myself a huge Bogart fan but everytime I watch him I like him a little bit more. Maybe it's the way he wears his pants? This is a fun movie with snappy dialogue and more twists and turns than Lombard Street.

Welcome to the human race...
Deliverance -

so where do we rank Zsigmond in terms of great cinematographers

Weekend re-watches:

Jim Carrey is in top comic form here and the delicious Jennifer Tilly steals every scene she is in. This movie also gets my vote for funniest outtakes ever...the outtakes are funnier than the movie!

1st Re-watch...This blistering and uncompromising human drama is an emotionally charged cinematic experience that will haunt long after the credits roll. Director Martin McDonaugh was robbed of an Oscar for this raw look at a mother's grief, what it drives her to and the consequences of her actions. This movie is frightening in its unpredictability because this story never goes anywhere you think it's going to. One of my favorite things about this story is the balance the story provides for the viewer...we understand Mildred and her grief, but we also understand the reactions of the townspeople, the ones who support her and especially the ones who don't. McDonaugh leaves no stone unturned here, creating a drama that will tie the stomach in knots. Frances McDormand provides a master acting class in her Oscar-winning performance as Mildred, that rivets the viewer to the screen with absolutely no scenery chewing and Sam Rockwell's explosive Oscar-winning performance is equally winning and don't over look Woody Harrelson and the amazing Peter Dinklage here either. This movie is appointment viewing and I think I'm upping my original rating.

The surprise smash hit movie of 1987 is high on my guilty pleasures list for a number of reasons. This movie has a lot going for it...a kick-ass score of some of the best music from the 1960's and a new song that won the Best song Oscar, a brilliant performance from the late Jerry Orbach as Baby's father, fantastic choreography by Kenny Ortega, clever direction from the late Emile Ardolino, but above everything else and what anyone seeing this movie will remember, is the undeniably smoking hot chemistry between the late Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey in the starring roles. I'm pretty sure in my list of Best Chemistry, these two were in the top ten and that finale never gets old.

The Wrecking Crew -

how many other people do you reckon are going to watch this because of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and come away thinking that Sharon Tate is the only good thing about it

Sollers point (2017)

Good recommendation from you MOFOs. Scratchy and realistic, the story hangs true and paints an unromantic picture of life for someone that's, in their way, idealistic but drawn into the grind.

Performances at 10/10.....film

The Wrecking Crew -

how many other people do you reckon are going to watch this because of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and come away thinking that Sharon Tate is the only good thing about it
Couldn't finish this one, stopped it at 30 min.
The Mercenary was a really good re-watch tho..

Deliverance -

Iroquois, I dunno but this film is so atmospheric especially the "climb" passage that he has to be up there.

[quote=Chypmunk;2030652]A Most Violent Year (J.C. Chandor, 2014)
+
A most undeserving title[/QUOTE,

I loved this but only on the 2nd watch.

Deliverance -

I can't recall too much he did, but this film and The Witches of Eastwick are the ones that stand out.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Xenophobia (2019)
This is an anthology of alien abduction tales within a support group of people who were taken by aliens and experimented on from the trio of Joe Castro, Thomas J. Churchill, and Steven J. Escobar. The stories go from tame to extremely violent, a smart move with this theme.

Xenophobia (2019)
This is an anthology of alien abduction tales within a support group of people who were taken by aliens and experimented on from the trio of Joe Castro, Thomas J. Churchill, and Steven J. Escobar. The stories go from tame to extremely violent, a smart move with this theme.
Interesting as I've just watched Communion again.

I can't recall too much he did, but this film and The Witches of Eastwick are the ones that stand out.
Looking at his filmography now and some serious standouts include McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Long Goodbye, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Blow Out, and The Deer Hunter. Some fine-looking films, alright.

I loved this but only on the 2nd watch.
Not sure how a rewatch might affect it for me, was quite enjoying it but it felt like the whole thing kinda petered out to me which left me feeling somewhat disappointed.

Looking at his filmography now and some serious standouts include McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Long Goodbye, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Blow Out, and The Deer Hunter. Some fine-looking films, alright.
I was thinking about Roxanne again today, and the light in that film. Eastwick, from memory, was similar. Very atmospheric, like a dream.