The Movie Club Selection Poll

Tools    

Which of these movies do you want to watch in the new Movie Club?
34.29%
12 votes
Rashomon
11.43%
4 votes
Around The Bend
17.14%
6 votes
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
28.57%
10 votes
The Conversation
8.57%
3 votes
Maria Full of Grace
35 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Let's try to jumpstart this! pick a flick and we'll go with the most popular. You guys might have to get started without me though as I'll be gone for a week soon.

A system of cells interlinked
Ok, I'm in....I am interested in all the films.... and I own a couple of them

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I don't know any of these films really, so I'll post my research here and pretend I'm not the only one in the dark.

Roshomon~ Along with Yojimbo, Rashomon ranks among Japanese director Akira Kurosawa's masterpieces. Kurosawa perennial Toshiro Mifune is arrested for the murder of a man found dead in a forest. But during his trial, several different accounts of the story are given. Rashomon won an Oscar for Best Foreign Film of 1951 and has influenced American films up to and including Courage Under Fire.

Around the Bend~ Four generations of men are suddenly brought together by the chance to uncover the truth about their family's past. When their eldest member passes away, the remaining trio embarks on a journey that takes them out on the road and into a world full of surprises -- some comic, some dramatic, and all of them personal. Stars Michael Caine, Christopher Walken, Josh Lucas, Glenne Headly and Jonah Bobo.

Heaven Can Wait (1943)~ In this restored digital transfer of Ernst Lubitsch's witty classic, newly deceased playboy Henry Van Cleve (Don Ameche) tries to convince Satan he's got what it takes to be a citizen of hell. Unsatisfied that Van Cleve's sins are hell-worthy, the devil listens as the dead man recounts his womanizing ways and the many heartbreaks he's caused his loving wife (Gene Tierney). Extras include a biography of screenplay writer Samson Raphaelson.

The Conversation~ Gene Hackman set the standard for 1970s film acting with his portrayal of Harry Caul, a surveillance expert obsessed with his privacy. A past mistake -- and the fear that he may repeat it -- haunts Caul. The Conversation benefits from tremendous supporting performances (especially that of the late, great John Cazale), excellent use of San Francisco locales and Walter Murch's sound editing.

Maria Full of Grace~ Maria Full of Grace is the harrowing story of an atypical drug-running "mule." Maria Alvarez (Catalina Sandino Moreno, whose portrayal earned her an Independent Spirit Award for Best Female Lead) is a smart, independent 17-year-old girl from Colombia who agrees to smuggle a half-kilo of heroin into the United States for a shot at a normal existence in the magical land of "El Norte" -- where she imagines the city streets must be paved with gold.

The People's Republic of Clogher
How long have we got til the poll closes and then how long have we got to find/watch the movie?

I own one of those, but it's not necessarily the one I'd pick to watch again - sticking one on my online rental list could take a while to arrive as I'm pretty sure that they're not in my local rental store (though I'm off there in half an hour anyway so might just check).

The Adventure Starts Here!
I seem to remember this was part of the problem the last time: movies being picked that were tough to find at a rental store nearby. That happened repeatedly, as I recall. I'll check one place for a rental, but I won't be able to go all over town to three or four places looking for a single movie.

Just a thought and a concern, based on what happened before...

I chose Rashômon because it is so infinitely discussable, and there's probably quite a few members who haven't seen it and should.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Suggestion: we could take 3-4 days to pick a film and then give people another 10 days or so to see it... ???
I may have to sit this one out, due to time constraints, but that sounds fair.

Originally Posted by Austruck
I seem to remember this was part of the problem the last time: movies being picked that were tough to find at a rental store nearby. That happened repeatedly, as I recall. I'll check one place for a rental, but I won't be able to go all over town to three or four places looking for a single movie.

Just a thought and a concern, based on what happened before...
How about this... we have the selected movie, and then an easier to find new release. Say Rashomon is chosen and you can't find it...rent Around the Bend instead and I'm sure some other Mofos will either be in the same boat, or rent it so they can discuss it with you. I personally would try to watch both if that was the case.

A system of cells interlinked
As for me, I can have pretty much any film at my house within a few days, thanks to NetFlix, so it won't be trouble for me....Strummer's idea seems cool, though...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
What if we take turns choosing films? The vote thing is very diplomatic, and a great jump start (good job, Strummer!) but it puts a lot of pressure on the person making the poll to try and guess what others have seen, might want to see, will be able to get their hands on. It would keep the success/failure of the whole thing from riding on one brave soul. We could go in order of how people signed up here...

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
What if we take turns choosing films? The vote thing is very diplomatic, and a great jump start (good job, Strummer!) but it puts a lot of pressure on the person making the poll to try and guess what others have seen, might want to see, will be able to get their hands on. It would keep the success/failure of the whole thing from riding on one brave soul. We could go in order of how people signed up here...

Any thoughts?
Sure, sounds good. I am for anything as long as I get to watch movies.

Your idea is good Sam but let's let the poll at least decide the first flick since it's already underway...fair enough?

BTW: How does everybody feel about the selections I tried for a mix of new lesser known but good looking releases and some old but seemingly underappreciated classics.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Around The Bend isn't available on R2 but I've popped a couple of the others into my rental queue in case the one I own doesn't win. Unfortunately my rental site seems to operate on a different system to Netflix - it's pot luck if they arrive on time.

I'm all for continuing with the polls though - As to the 'suggestion'...erm...suggestion: the pressure is even more on the chooser's shoulders to come up with The One. In the words of Joe Cabot, "Tried it once. It didn't work."

I voted for The Conversation, because I want to buy the DVD.

Which rental site are you with, Tacitus? I used to be with Blockbuster, but they never sent me DVDs from the top of my list. So now I'm with Screen Select, which I love and would reccomend to everyone.

uh-oh...it's a tie now. If it stays that way we'll go with The Conversation so you have an excuse to buy it Sinny

Poor Maria Full of Grace no votes! Somebody should at least give it a sympathy vote...

I dunno if that'll happen Sam I got a pretty good amount of hair.

Besides, since I started the poll, I suppose it would be fair If I picked the movie in the event of a tie right? actually I think I'll be gone by the end of the poll, I may not even be able to watch the movie in time. So if there's a tie I guess Sedai can pick, since he was the second one to post. That won't cheat him out of his own pick, he would still get that for the next movie since I chose all the films in the poll.

Lets put a smile on that block
I'm in. I voted for Around the Bend but according to Taccy it's not available on R2 so may be hard to get rid of. In that case i'll be happy with what ever is most popular. SO is it Rashomon or Heaven Can Wait?
Originally Posted by Sinny McGuffins
Which rental site are you with, Tacitus? I used to be with Blockbuster, but they never sent me DVDs from the top of my list. So now I'm with Screen Select, which I love and would reccomend to everyone.
I'm with www.lovefilm.com and i really think they are the best on the net for us in the UK Sinny. I tried ScreenSelect for about two months and didn't rate them much. The time period from the release date of a dvd to them actually getting it available on the site was far too long, plus it took ages between each return. LoveFilm is a site truly for film lovers. The weekly email-newsleter alone is testament to that with some wonderful writing from the editor of the site. They have a HUUUUUGE collection, and the turnaround time between deliveries is so quick i get the dvd before the email telling me iv'e got a new dvd coming. Plus theyre pretty cheap. Give it a go if you havn't already.