Phillip Seymour Hoffman
51.28%
20 votes
William H. Macy
17.95%
7 votes
John C. Reilly
39 votes. You may not vote on this poll

They're all good of course, but William H. Macy has had the best showcases for his talents of that group, so you gotta give it to him. But, if the question is a narrower who did the best work this particular year, the answer is Cheadle, who's performance in Hotel Rwanda is frippin' fantastic.

If you want to check out one of Macy's best and least-seen roles, find a copy of "A Slight Case of Murder" (1999) a very funny dark comedy he did with his wife (the wonderful Felicity Huffman). It originally aired on TNT in The States.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Someone Save Us College Kids
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
They're all good of course, but William H. Macy has had the best showcases for his talents of that group, so you gotta give it to him. But, if the question is a narrower who did the best work this particular year, the answer is Cheadle, who's performance in Hotel Rwanda is frippin' fantastic.

If you want to check out one of Macy's best and least-seen roles, find a copy of "A Slight Case of Murder" (1999) a very funny dark comedy he did with his wife (the wonderful Felicity Huffman). It originally aired on TNT in The States.

Wow holden you sometimes amaze me with you wide variety of movie knowledge.

Macy, I think his best performances were Fargo, Pleasantville, and The Cooler

I think if I treated you all to a screening of Hotel Rwanda before you voted in this poll, there wouldn't be a one of you who'd vote for anybody other than Mr. Don Cheadle.

Not only will he be nominated for Best Actor this year at the Oscars, I think there's a damn good chance he'll win it.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I think if I treated you all to a screening of Hotel Rwanda before you voted in this poll, there wouldn't be a one of you who'd vote for anybody other than Mr. Don Cheadle.
So why didn't you vote for him?

William H. Macy is great, and with his overall body of work I had to give him the edge. But Cheadle's performance in Hotel Rwanda is better than any single thing William H. Macy has done to date....but it's really the first starring role he's had. As a career, Macy has had so many more opportunities to prove himslef - so he's the choice.

But what I'm saying is, if you had just freshly witnessed how amazing Don Cheadle is in Hotel Rwanda and been overwhelmed by the movie ( it is truly overwhelming), you'd have voted for him right then and there.

I've always enjoyed Don Cheadle's work and have been disappointed in the size and scope of his roles. I was reading about Hotel Rwanda on another site earlier this morning and am very excited to see it, even more so now that Holden has recommended it so strongly.

As for the poll... I had to vote for Macy simply b/c of the wide range of roles he's taken.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Now that I've seen Hotel Rwanda and Crash, I'd say the best is definitely Don Cheadle.

But my favorite is still Phillip Seymour Hoffman, his performance in Punch-Drunk Love is hilarious.

Here to support the villians.......
Their all great I love Macy in all his roles, Air Force one, Magnolia, and yes he should have been nominated for the Cooler which is a awesome movie.

But my fave is Don cheadle I can watch him in absolutely anything, although I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda yet, but after positive comments I shall be purchasing it.

Can we try with real bullets now?
I chose William H. Macy, because of his great performances in Magnolia, Fargo, and especially
The Cooler.

This was a tough one, but I chose William

I am having a nervous breakdance
I don't know if Hoffman is better than the others but he's my favourite.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

It's hard to say better, isn't it?

They're all really good, as far as I'm concerned...but if I had to choose a favorite...

...it would be Macy for me as well.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I can't really tag a vote here, as I'm not familiar with Luiz Guzman or John C. Reilly ... but I'd have to agree with Holden ... Cheadle was excellent in Hotel Rwanda. Haven't been disappointed in any of Macy's movies I've seen.

I voted for Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Not to diss the guy, but I've never seen a Luis Guzman role that stands up to any of the other guys. But. . .I may have missed a really good movie.
And found he was eating his shoe.