The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

OK, let's see if I can at least predict the order of the remaining five...

5. Pulp Fiction
4. Casablanca
3. GoodFellas
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
1. The Godfather
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Don't worry guys once we get to #1 it just keeps going and all your favorite movies are just in the negatives.
The best part comes after the #1 entry anyways, when we reveal our list then we can say here this is what #1 should be or what should be on our lists

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

We've gone on holiday by mistake
The Dark Night #125
The Departed#172

Programming Note

To this point I've just been posting things at the first comfortable opportunity after I get up each day, which has usually been mid-morning ET. But for the last day, and because I'll be posting a thing or two along with the last couple of films, I'm going to actually schedule the final reveal.

Revealing one a day, but the final two simultaneously, means the list will conclude on Friday, the 29th. And it'll all go up at 12:30 PM ET, for anyone who wants to be there right when it happens.

Programming Note

To this point I've just been posting things at the first comfortable opportunity after I get up each day, which has usually been mid-morning ET. But for the last day, and because I'll be posting a thing or two along with the last couple of films, I'm going to actually schedule the final reveal.

Revealing one a day, but the final two simultaneously, means the list will conclude on Friday, the 29th. And it'll all go up at 12:30 PM ET, for anyone who wants to be there right when it happens.
You doing a podcast for the reveal?

Podcast:

Everyone talks for 2 hours in the lead-up to the #2, #1 reveal...

Yoda: "I'm about to hit enter now"
*click*
Every podcast guest in sync:

BLADE RUNNER: Is probably near the top of the list of movies I admire but don't necessarily love. For such a visually sensual movie, it never really leaves the screen for me, and so I'm left simply sitting slightly awed by it, but never entirely engaged. Much of this almost seems by design though, since in a film that wonders over the line between what is human and what is not quite human, the film seems almost to have been directed through the vantage point of the latter. Of course, it does give us a glimpse of its confusing humanity during the tears in the rain bit. It's very good. It's a cinematic marvel that deserves to be pondered for a long time.

As For those who say they don't like this, or that they find it boring, I would encourage all of them to revisit it at least one more time. It's hard to imagine not finding something in this of interest to even the most impatient of viewers. I've seen it maybe five times, and my appreciation always inches up a little with each viewing. Who knows, there may be hope for me too, one of these days.

JAWS - Another film I've watched too many time to count that didn't make my list. I considered including it, considering how much I've loved it for most of my life. But because my enthusiasm for what it means to me has dimmed over the last ten or so years, I scrapped that plan. That said, I believe it was one of the first films where I began to really appreciate the idea that film can entertain in a number of different ways, and spectacle is far from a necessity. Jaws moves from being a story rich with the feeling of community and family life, to a conclusion stranded in one constricted location, with only three souls to observe as they bristle against eachother. When I was very young, the film was about the beach. About who would be left to confront the shark next. But when I came across the movie a few years later at about 8 years old, already half over and all if its side plots by now abandoned, it became shocking to me that what I was being most entertained by was the conversation. The dialogue. The things I went to movies to get away from when adults just kept on talking. But of course it was more than just talking. Through these words it was also the development of personalities, friendships and animosities. We intimately begin to understand these three men, who are mostly just presented as archetypes in the beginning of the film. Because of this the shark became almost an after thoughT. Until, of course, it wasn't. But, without any hyperbole, I honestly feel that a film like Jaws, with all of its blockbuster baggage, was the first movie to set me on a course to fall in love with movies such as L'Avventura or Solaris or 2001, where we are invited to watch as much as engage with the film at hand.

But to boil it all down, it's perfect, what else really needs to be said?

Mark Kermode's Secrets Of Cinema is on telly atm... covering Cult Movies...

First two movies he's covered:

Fight Club
Blade Runner

Are they really cult movies?

Fight Club
Blade Runner

Ehh, the line is a bit blurry. Both films barely eked by at the box office and received polarizing reviews from critics, only to garner more popularity with time. I mean, they're not as "cult" as, say, The Warriors? but the definition kinda applies.

Fight Club
Blade Runner

The problem with "Cult Movie" is there is no firm definition. You can say Blade Runner and Fight Club have cult-ish devotion in that their followings are fervent. But you could use that definition to cover virtually anything from Titanic to Gone with the Wind.

Neither Fight Club nor Blade Runner were successful at the box office during their initial releases, so if that is one's criteria, that their appeal built up more slowly over time rather than instantly out of the gate, OK, I guess they'd qualify?

Kermode has actually said in this program, "Cult Movies technically don't exist. Movies aren't made to be Cult. It's the audience that makes them"

That's 5:30 PM for those of us who live in a proper time zone.

Plenty of time to get that afternoon cup of tea ready and settle in to await the big reveal.

Cult movies don't exist
What? Of course they do...

The Wicker Man
Hereditary
Kill List
Rosemary's Baby
Mandy
Midsommar