R.I.P. Jerry Lee Lewis

Tools    

I guess we all have to stop shakin' at some point
Requiescat in pace Jerry!

I confess I didn’t even know he was still alive.

This year is getting worser and worser. This year we just lost one of the last French New Wave directors, the world's oldest lady, the Queen of England, that guy who played drums for Yes, they guy who scored Blade Runner, a flamboyant old man, the other part of Rankin Bass, and now this!

This might be on par with 2016 for worst celebrity deaths. Ugh.

I confess I didn’t even know he was still alive.

I didn't know he was still alive either...great musician and showman, even if he might have been a bit smarmy as a human being. RIP

How many people here knew Jerry Lee Lewis and (disgraced) TV evangelist Jimmy Swaggart were cousins?
Both had the middle name "Lee" (supposedly after a relative).
In the movie Great Balls of Fire (1989), Lewis was played by Dennis Quaid and Swaggart was played by Alec Baldwin.

Jerry Lee Lewis and Jimmy Lee Swaggart are both also cousins of country singer Mickey Gilley!

Add me to the list of people who thought The Killer had already died. I liked his country songs, What Made Milwaukee Famous and Another Place Another Time. Crazy Arms was another favorite.

RIP Mr. Lewis.

I'm very sorry to hear about this. No one lives forever, but The Killer had been around so long that I took him for granted. I was in junior high school when Jerry Lee came out with "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" in 1957. Everyone was wild about it, then he followed it up with 4 or 5 early Rock 'n Roll classics.

I saw him live years back, and he still had enough magic to get an audience foot tappin' and on their feet. He was probably the last remaining early R&R star. There was only one "Killer", and I'm sorry that he's gone.

How many people here knew Jerry Lee Lewis and (disgraced) TV evangelist Jimmy Swaggart were cousins?
Both had the middle name "Lee" (supposedly after a relative).
In the movie Great Balls of Fire (1989), Lewis was played by Dennis Quaid and Swaggart was played by Alec Baldwin.

Jerry Lee Lewis and Jimmy Lee Swaggart are both also cousins of country singer Mickey Gilley!

I only knew about Lewis and Swaggert because of Great Balls of Fire

Oh yeah, Jerry Lee Lewis was well known in our house, and when I was a kid, in the days when my Dad would drink a bit, he liked to play Jerry Lee. His favorite was a single of Jerry's "Waiting For a Train," which was a good old honky tonk song that I loved. I'd play DJ and he'd listen to it and when my Mom wasn't in the room, he'd have me flip the 45 over and play "Big Legged Woman" which was very suggestive to say the least. My Mom would suddenly appear and tell my Dad to stop the record, that was "dirty." But somehow, I thought that with Jerry Lee Lewis singing it, it seemed appropriate. Of course all his hits were played, too, but the single I mentioned got preference when I was young.

It's something that he outlived all his cohorts from his Sun Records days: Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, and some guy named Elvis Presley. Godspeed, Killer!

I love that old time rock and roll. Sad to see the Killer go. I saw him in the Eighties at Six Flags in Jersey. What a great show.

Oh yeah, Jerry Lee Lewis was well known in our house, and when I was a kid, in the days when my Dad would drink a bit, he liked to play Jerry Lee. His favorite was a single of Jerry's "Waiting For a Train," which was a good old honky tonk song that I loved. I'd play DJ and he'd listen to it and when my Mom wasn't in the room, he'd have me flip the 45 over and play "Big Legged Woman" which was very suggestive to say the least. My Mom would suddenly appear and tell my Dad to stop the record, that was "dirty." But somehow, I thought that with Jerry Lee Lewis singing it, it seemed appropriate. Of course all his hits were played, too, but the single I mentioned got preference when I was young.

It's something that he outlived all his cohorts from his Sun Records days: Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, and some guy named Elvis Presley. Godspeed, Killer!
Good story, dgb! Here's that iconic picture of the "Million Dollar Quartet" that you're referring to. L-R, Lewis, Perkins, Elvis, J. Cash:

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elvis.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	89646  

RIP Jerry Lee Lewis. I really feel bad for him.