The Return of Torgo and Wooley's September Excite-o-rama!

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Lisa and The Devil is one where I'd need someone to define "religious horror" for me to give an opinion of it. i.e. let's say a movie has the devil show up, but there isn't really any religion mentioned outside of its presence, would that constitute as religious horror?

ETA: given the lack of priests or the profession of any religious beliefs amongst the characters, I'm inclined to say, "no."
Now, I just noticed Superstition show up in my library, that'd probably count.
If you want to go a little out of bounds on the horror part, if you haven't seen On the Silver Globe, there's religion in there, and it veers into horror-ish elements, though it is really more sci-fi.
Right l, and I mentioned in my post that it might depend on which version I watch as one (American version) specifically was tailored to more of an Exorcist rip off, which sounds more like religious horror than the original version. *
If it doesn’t fit, it’s not a big deal as I can simply find one that does.

Victim of The Night

I love that The Last Unicorn is supposedly a children's movie.
Like, this is what children were expected to be able to handle back in our day. This emotionally dense, mature, melancholy, often heartbreaking story.

I remember when it all went to shit. I blame The Smurfs. And Spielberg and Lucas of course. ********.
Also, how did I forget that this was an all-star cast? I remember Mia Farrow and Alan Arkin, but this cast?
Our titular Unicorn overhears from two hunters that she is the last of her kind and begins to consider this possibility. When she is doing unicorn shit in a meadow, a butterfly (played brilliantly by comedian/actor Robert Klein) comes and frolics a bit with her but she interrogates him for information about any other unicorns. After much evasion he tells her that The Red Bull of King Haggard has run down all the unicorns in the world and she is the last. So she sets out on a journey to find them and rescue them. Along the way she meets a fascinating cast of characters, for real. Mommy Fortuna alone is worth the price of admission but, of course, the Harpy (not made for children of today or even children of the 90s or 00s, but for children of my time) and the Red Bull itself make for formidably frightening foes. And seriously, like 20 minutes into the movie we are dealing with complex human issues like insecurity and envy and greed and loneliness regret and complicated ethical questions, and this is just how the movie goes. We end up with a beautifully conceived character, Molly Grue, voiced by two-time Tony-Winner Tammy Grimes, whose youth has passed her by and when she meets the unicorn she breaks down in anger and betrayal and deep sadness, crying out at the unicorn, "Damn you! Where were you when I was young?!" It's a heart wrenching moment. Kids today couldn't handle this shit.
And then the unicorn meets The Red Bull.

She finds herself in over her head and defeated very quickly and, to save her, her friend Shmendrick the Magician turns her into a human. Which is apparently the worst thing you could do to a unicorn. And then a whole new set of complex emotional ideas is introduced from this conceit. Like I said, "dense". It's really pretty amazing.

A few notes I wanted to get to.

I like the score right away. So melancholy.
And my reaction to hearing The Song? "Holy shit. I’ve remembered this song my whole life. And, of course I did, it’s America. F*cking professionals." Though, even I can’t really listen to that song “In The Sea” or whatever it's called, that's a slight mis-step.
The voice-work here is really interesting and pretty fantastic. It's from another time and is not as smooth as the voice-work of today but that was the style back then. Here I think it works and really lends an otherworldly quality (as it did in The Hobbit earlier this month). But the actors themselves make it really amazing. Mommy Fortuna is awesome. But, oh, of course she is, she’s Angela F*cking Lansbury and I'd forgotten. King Haggard? No problem, we'll just get Christopher Lee to give a menacing and yet nuanced performance. “Christopher Lee was apparently a big fan of the book, and he showed up to the recording sessions with an annotated copy of the book that he had made notes in, that he would show to the director and be like, ‘We have to have this part. This part has to be in the scene,'” Gerencer says. “So he was all about this movie, apparently.” Bungling magician? How about Alan Arkin? Need a hero? We'll just get Jeff Bridges.
And at the center of it all is the ethereal Last Unicorn, who would need to be just right to give this all the emotional heft it needs... Hey, I hear Mia Farrow's available. And she's perfect.
But the other voice-actors are just perfect as well. The voice of Gollum from The Hobbit is in this, and I had called him out as a real highlight in that film too. Great job again. Talented guy. And with a callback to riddles. Pretty awesome. Jesus, Keenan Wynn and Tammy Grimes are great as Captain Cully and Molly Grue. Lord, the Molly Grue stuff (she's the one who is so emotionally tied to The Unicorn) is just fantastic. Heartbreaking.
Not totally sure I needed to hear Mia Farrow and Jeff Bridges sing, but I guess nobody ever said a masterpiece had to be perfect.
I knew this film was Rankin/Bass like The Hobbit but it took me about 10 seconds to see that it's the same animation studio, Topcraft (which had a number of people leave to form Studio Ghibli)

Well, that's about all I have, I would direct you to this article from WIRED, entitled "The Last Unicorn Is A Work Of Art".

And it is. I have no doubt about it. I would actually compare this more to something like Son Of The White Mare than I would to most Western animated films.

This was a beautiful film and a wonderful experience.
Thanks to Takoma for pressuring me. The truth is I've had it in the queue for years and never quite pulled the trigger because some part of me remembered how emotionally powerful it is and was never quite ready for it. Glad I just ripped off the band-aid and did it.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer

Fantastic film. Although the harpy always scared the shit out of me.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Victim of The Night
Fantastic film. Although the harpy always scared the shit out of me.
Yup. I was hoping we'd see the harpy again as I thought there was a moment there that could be explored but I think it probably would have just bogged down the plot and themes.

And it is. I have no doubt about it. I would actually compare this more to something like Son Of The White Mare than I would to most Western animated films.
Great review, and that's a great comparison.

I actually like the voice acting a lot in this film. At times it's bombastic, but for a lot of the run time it's really subdued and I love that. Especially with Bridges, because his character is kind of lost and has these vague notions of what a prince/gentleman should do but can't understand the complexity of the person he's trying to win over.

Something I've realized over many viewings is just how strong the theme of possession is in the film, and how many warped versions of it we see. Maybe the best example is Madame Fortuna's gloating that because the Harpy will always remember being captured, Fortuna will always live in her mind. But there's also the King's idea that because he loved the unicorns and they make him happy, he should be able to keep them trapped. Even Molly, who is incredibly sympathetic, has this idea that the unicorn should have somehow been "hers".

And I love that the movie ends without contriving to leave the unicorn as a human. In almost any other fairy tale, she'd fall in love with the prince and blah blah blah, but that's not who she is and it wouldn't be true to her. She would have to give up a vital part of herself to become human and in the end it's too much to ask. The way that the movie mixes magic and creatures and very human ideas about love and possession and sense of self is really fantastic.

Victim of The Night
Great review, and that's a great comparison.

I actually like the voice acting a lot in this film. At times it's bombastic, but for a lot of the run time it's really subdued and I love that. Especially with Bridges, because his character is kind of lost and has these vague notions of what a prince/gentleman should do but can't understand the complexity of the person he's trying to win over.

Something I've realized over many viewings is just how strong the theme of possession is in the film, and how many warped versions of it we see. Maybe the best example is Madame Fortuna's gloating that because the Harpy will always remember being captured, Fortuna will always live in her mind. But there's also the King's idea that because he loved the unicorns and they make him happy, he should be able to keep them trapped. Even Molly, who is incredibly sympathetic, has this idea that the unicorn should have somehow been "hers".

And I love that the movie ends without contriving to leave the unicorn as a human. In almost any other fairy tale, she'd fall in love with the prince and blah blah blah, but that's not who she is and it wouldn't be true to her. She would have to give up a vital part of herself to become human and in the end it's too much to ask. The way that the movie mixes magic and creatures and very human ideas about love and possession and sense of self is really fantastic.
I mostly agree with you. Obviously on-point on Fortuna and Haggard but I thought Molly's feelings were more that there had been no magic or beauty in her life and now her youth was gone. I didn't think she wanted to possess the unicorn but rather that she dreamed of life being full of beauty and magic when she was young and it never came, just hard reality, and now that it would seem to be too late, now the unicorn comes and it only reminds her of the loss. Molly's feelings were, to me, the most nuanced and heart-wrenching. I actually teared up a little over Molly's broken heart.
But I think you're right in that everyone in the movie, literally everyone, wants something from the unicorn. Fortuna, Shmendrick, Molly, Haggard, Lir, they all need the unicorn to give them what's missing in their lives and that is a lot.
And I almost feel like I have to one-up you on the ending because not only did I love that they did not leave the unicorn as a human but that she is never really the same because of the experience and there is a certain haunted quality to her among all things to be both perfectly magical again but now with a little bit of a hole in her heart, the way a human feels and no other unicorn can ever know that. So, in a way, she is alone again, and the movie kind of leaves it open as to whether she gained or lost.
It's a deep-ass film.

I mostly agree with you. Obviously on-point on Fortuna and Haggard but I thought Molly's feelings were more that there had been no magic or beauty in her life and now her youth was gone. I didn't think she wanted to possess the unicorn but rather that she dreamed of life being full of beauty and magic when she was young and it never came, just hard reality, and now that it would seem to be too late, now the unicorn comes and it only reminds her of the loss. Molly's feelings were, to me, the most nuanced and heart-wrenching. I actually teared up a little over Molly's broken heart.
But I think you're right in that everyone in the movie, literally everyone, wants something from the unicorn. Fortuna, Shmendrick, Molly, Haggard, Lir, they all need the unicorn to give them what's missing in their lives and that is a lot.
"Possession" might be a bit strong for what Molly wants, but it's the way that everyone seems to begin by wanting something from the unicorn and/or resenting her somewhat if she can't/won't give it to them.

And I almost feel like I have to one-up you on the ending because not only did I love that they did not leave the unicorn as a human but that she is never really the same because of the experience and there is a certain haunted quality to her among all things to be both perfectly magical again but now with a little bit of a hole in her heart, the way a human feels and no other unicorn can ever know that. So, in a way, she is alone again, and the movie kind of leaves it open as to whether she gained or lost.
It's a deep-ass film.
Right, and I think that like a lot of complex, intense moments in a person's life, you can't silo it into being a good thing or a bad thing.

Victim of The Night
"Possession" might be a bit strong for what Molly wants, but it's the way that everyone seems to begin by wanting something from the unicorn and/or resenting her somewhat if she can't/won't give it to them.

Right, and I think that like a lot of complex, intense moments in a person's life, you can't silo it into being a good thing or a bad thing.
Agreed. And that is a very, very advanced thing for a "children's movie". Hell, most adults can't handle that.

Victim of The Night
That cast is insane. I only remembered Mia F and America.
It really is ridiculous. And it delivers.

Victim of The Night
Alright, I guess that wraps up my half of this shindig too.

As always, it is a great pleasure to do this with Torgo, I salute you, sir, and look forward to next September.

Thanks all for visiting and Happy October! Let's all watch some Horror Movies!

This is an international co-production from 2017 that undeservedly fell under the radar. Cut from the same cloth as The Neverending Story, the hero, like Bastian, is a student (Barbara, played by The Conjuring 2's Madison Wolfe) who also escapes into her fantasies to cope with the horrors of adolescence. Oh, and if her rabbit ears are of any indication, she's not ashamed of doing so. Barbara is on a quest to protect her beautiful coastal New Jersey town from giants, for which she's set bait and traps in practically every corner. Unlike Bastian, however, it's not clear what her horrors are, with the movie being a tense and heart-wrenching journey to discover them. Assisting Barbara whether she wants her to or not are Sophia, a new student who recently arrived from England and Mrs. Molle (Zoe Saldana), her school's guidance counselor. Definitely not assisting Barbara is Taylor (Rory Jackson), the tin-grinned leader of her school's mean girl brigade.

Based on what I can tell from the movie's page on IMDB, it didn't get a theatrical release in North America, which is a shame because it demands to be seen on the largest screen possible. The cinematography is the star here, which not only accentuates the splendor of the Irish beaches and Belgian forests that stand in for New Jersey, but also give scale to the giants. Speaking of, I love their look and feel, which is obviously CGI, but appropriate given that you're supposed to question if they're real or just a product of Barbara's imagination, not to mention complement how they look in the source graphic novel. Madison Wolfe reveals she has star potential based on how convinced she is that giants exist, but I was most impressed with Saldana's subtle and heartfelt work, especially since I've really only seen her in action movies. As for what motivates Barbara, I don't want to say a whole lot for fear of spoiling it, but it left me guessing until the best possible moment, i.e., when empathetic audience surrogate Sophia discovers what's really happening. Thankfully, it's a moment that lets us think and feel because shortly afterwards, all hell breaks loose. I also give the movie credit that Barbara doesn't completely forget about her quest once the worst and most difficult part of it is over.

To bring up The Neverending Story again, this movie doesn't have nearly as many lighthearted moments. In fact, I can't recall if anyone smiles in it. You wouldn't think it would be possible given the subject matter, but Wolfgang Petersen and company still managed, and given the art style of the graphic novel, there could have been more. Also, I don't know what other kind of antagonist this story could have - and not to take away from Jackson's strong performances - but I'm a little tired of bullies, especially since this movie doesn't really do anything with their tropes I haven't already seen. For the ways it explores the value of fantasy in our lives and the most sensitive and thoughtful of us, though, it's very much worth checking out. Again, if you decide to, I recommend spending the extra money to see it in HD because hopefully, some of that money will go to the cinematographer and the specials effects team.

My rating: 3 bunny ear tuques out of 5

My guy (or gal): Mrs. Molle. She's a guidance counselor who gets results.
Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Something about it called to me and I rented it on Amazon Prime immediately. And I ended up loving it. As for Barbara
WARNING: "" spoilers below
becoming "suddenly" better once she faced the real giant---her mother's illness---the movie did say that summer had come and gone and a new semester was happening when we next see Barbara. So I think she was getting therapy, even if the movie didn't flatly say so. Plus, the reveal that she still had her fantasy life to a degree to help her cope showed to me that she wasn't completely past her illness, but on her way. Just my take.

Yes, for me, this gets 4 and 1/2 bunny ears! Thanks again for the heads-up.

And @Wooley thanks for giving The Green Slime a shout-out---I've loved this since it was first released in the late 60's. Cheesy, slimy, utterly insane and totally entertaining and that groovy song. Man, it rarely gets better than that for solid entertainment.

Alright, I guess that wraps up my half of this shindig too.

As always, it is a great pleasure to do this with Torgo, I salute you, sir, and look forward to next September.

Thanks all for visiting and Happy October! Let's all watch some Horror Movies!
Thanks, it's been fun. It's my new favorite way to spend my movie watching time in September.

I'll come up with a good list of entries for next year. Hopefully, there are plenty of good ones left. Are we at a point where we have to hit up Rockatansky for recommendations, if you know what I mean?

But anyway, we've barely touched Japan yet. They have plenty of live action and animated stuff that would be a good fit for this thread.

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Something about it called to me and I rented it on Amazon Prime immediately. And I ended up loving it. As for Barbara
WARNING: "" spoilers below
becoming "suddenly" better once she faced the real giant---her mother's illness---the movie did say that summer had come and gone and a new semester was happening when we next see Barbara. So I think she was getting therapy, even if the movie didn't flatly say so. Plus, the reveal that she still had her fantasy life to a degree to help her cope showed to me that she wasn't completely past her illness, but on her way. Just my take.

Yes, for me, this gets 4 and 1/2 bunny ears! Thanks again for the heads-up.
Glad you like it. There was a
WARNING: spoilers below
longer passage of time after the big storm ended
now that I think about it. You should check out A Monster Calls as well if you liked this one that much.

Victim of The Night

And @Wooley thanks for giving The Green Slime a shout-out---I've loved this since it was first released in the late 60's. Cheesy, slimy, utterly insane and totally entertaining and that groovy song. Man, it rarely gets better than that for solid entertainment.
Always happy to talk about The Green Slime.

Are we at a point where we have to hit up Rockatansky for recommendations, if you know what I mean?

WARNING: spoilers below
The good recs are in the basement.