Thor: Love and Thunder

Tools    

This really makes me appreciate the chances DC takes. Doesn’t matter that they aren’t big swings and home runs.

Why were the Guardians even in this? Felt like contractual obligations.

the guy who works at the cinema told me that DC make their movies really fast trying to be like marvel =/

Welcome to the human race...
the guy who works at the cinema told me that DC make their movies really fast trying to be like marvel =/
I don't get that impression. Like DD wrote, DC has established its own MCU-style continuity but the company isn't as beholden to it if their willingness to do one-off works like Joker or The Batman is any indication (and the fact that those proved to be big hits in their own right only seems to validate the idea that DC doesn't need to be like Marvel in terms of relying on one big cinematic universe and forcing all their movies to fit into that framework).

Has anybody seen the faces of Tessa Thompson meme? F*cking hysterical.
Just looked for it, cant find it. Could you please post it possibly?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I had pretty low expectations for this and they weren't really met. Do I have MCU-fatigue, or is it the franchise itself that's tired?

Love and Thunder just seemed under written and not well directed. The tone was weird - it flipped from comedy so self-referential it was basically a parody, to particularly serious, dark and creepy. I did laugh out loud a couple of times, but I do wonder whether a low budget, home made, independent parody film might have been a better vehicle for some of these gags than a multi-million dollar Thor movie. The CGI locations and fight scenes that were basically a blur of gold were not great. There were some scenes that looked good in a comic book way - when they went into the shadow realm, for example. The Guardians of the Galaxy were a big part of the trailer but didn't have much to do in the film. Korg is more fun in small doses. The story was just basic questing with lumpy sentimentality, powers that change as the plot requires them and the dumbest macguffin in the MCU.

people who gives this movie low ratings needs to read the comics. to me i give it
its on my top 10 favorite marvel movies. i respect the opinions

Oh ive read the comics. More specifically Thor was my favorite due to Stan Lee & Jack Kirbys original run on the title and then followed years later by Walt Simonsons amazing run. Love and Thunder did too good a job of making fun of itself, and the entire Marvel genre. I've seen Disney movies made for kids that had more substantial serious elements within it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I think it’s fair to say I liked the movie, but don’t think it’s great. After digesting a lot of articles and pods, I think these are fair ideas.

- The tone is all over the place. It’s somber, it’s jokey, it’s a cancer drama, it’s a kids in peril movie, it seems like too many plates in the air at once. It’s also an example of what ultimate Taiki with unchecked power can bring. The overuse of Korg, the steamrolling of quips, etc. He leans towards camp and when he falls over the edge, it breaks the movie. Also, when the original cut of the movie was four hours, how can you whittle something down that much and not feel it onscreen.

- Natalie Portman is really stiff in some of these scenes. The “Bluetooth speaker hallway”scene and “walking into Omnipotent City” scene are two that come to mind.

- The misuse of the Guardians. We’re suppose to believe that a group that has saved the universe multiple times, is about to perish at the claws of a bunch of hopped up owl-chicken Muppets creatures? That kinda face plants the movie from the start, after a fairly well done Gorr intro.

There are some bright spots. The technology used in the shadow realm scene is impressive and seems like a real breakthrough for movies going forward. The electrified 🧸 was a real crowd pleaser.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Mid-tier Marvel.

Bale was the best thing in a role that should be in a different movie. It tries way too hard to be funny and a lot of the jokes misfire. It was more concerned with JPM (jokes per minute) than actual story. The balancing of humour and serious drama was poor.

Yeah, it looked cool, the devoid of colour sequences were neat and it was somewhat entertaining, but it takes zero chances, doesn't have any memorable scenes and felt lazy.

As good as Bale was, he ultimately does nothing to the story. I was surprised by how much I did not laugh when the movie was throwing everything and the kitchen sink at me in terms of humour.

I did get a kick out of Crowe though.

Suspect's Reviews

Boldly going.
We all agree that the Guardians of the Galaxy were underutilized in this. I think the intent was to for Star Lord to be a kind of mentor to Thor, in the sense that Thor is learning the importance of making one's own family and perhaps how to be a leader. Irregardless, I would have liked to have seen the Guardians join Thor in this quest as part of his "team". I thought the "Asgardians of the Galaxy" was a clever team name.

I was happy to see Lady Sif again, albeit for a short time. I wonder if we'll see her with a cybernetic arm in future movies.

This tried too hard to be funny. Not all jokes landed. Crowe didn't do a Goldblum for me. He just, well, looked out of place. He was far funnier in The Nice Guys.

I actually thought the voiceover from Korg was for people who haven't seen the previous movies. And therefore it made sense for it to be there.

The movie's best asset, Bale, was underutilised.

This almost felt like a movie that the filmmaker was forced to make, rather than him wanting to make it. I hope that makes sense.

On a side note. A minor thing this, but why was Valkyrie called King. I find this notion of female terms being seen as somewhat lesser important and therefore ignored or erased a depressing thing. I feel the same way, when actress are called as actors. Own your terms ladies and be proud of them.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Here's a strange take. I restarted Thor: Love and Thunder last night, from only making it about 20-30 minutes in a week or so back, and found myself really enjoying it. I like the idea that what we're seeing is Korg's retelling of the events he witnessed, which helps explain the child-like silliness.

It was goofy, and while I like goofy, that really turned me off with my first attempt. My second? I just let go of my expectations and went with the flow. I am glad that I did. I enjoyed it so much more this time around. The silliness seemed to end when Korg's character was no longer present in the team, entering the Shadow Realm, so maybe there is something to the point of view retelling going on. Anyway. The Shadow Realm was actually quite nice, in my opinion. The action there felt grounded (unlike Thor's Van Damme spread, earlier in the movie), and Bale could really come out a bit with his exaggerated mouth expressions.

Hey. It actually worked for me. Go figure.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

It was fine. Nowhere near as funny as Ragnarok but better than another warmed over noun-swap origin story at least. I appreciated that there was a clear purpose to Jane's hammer-wielding, too, rather than just "hey you know what would get Twitter excited?!"

Funniest bit is definitely the axe nudging into frame like a jealous lover. So simple, but it always works.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
lol, yes. The jealous "axe" and those screaming goats always cracked me up.

I remember when the trailers released wondering WHY Jane had to become Thor and of all the interweb speculation of her replacing him. There was actual meaning in it and I thought that was reasonable development. And the writing did NOT pander, in the end, to fairy tale happily-ever-after expectations, so points there as well.

Oh, and in the Omnipotence City, I cannot help but believe this fight sequence was a nod to Flash Gordon camp!

Amazing movie

It was fine. Nowhere near as funny as Ragnarok but better than another warmed over noun-swap origin story at least. I appreciated that there was a clear purpose to Jane's hammer-wielding, too, rather than just "hey you know what would get Twitter excited?!"

Funniest bit is definitely the axe nudging into frame like a jealous lover. So simple, but it always works.
Chris, just curious about your reference - what is "another warmed over noun-swap origin story"? Can you provide an example?

Sadly, I've only seen a few of the Marvel movies, so I'm not familiar with some of them.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
If we are using first names, mine are Randall and Randee.

Please be respectful and never pronounce it with one L or an i.