Washington Redskins are changing their name and logo

Tools    

This is no time for tumidity. Oops, meant to type timidity.
It's ok, it's just a typo - no need for anyone to get in a flap about it

A system of cells interlinked
For the record, I took Stirchley's post as a joke as soon as I saw it.

For the record, I took Stirchley's post as a joke as soon as I saw it.
Then please explain it?

As I sure don't see a joke in her post...and no that's not me being over sensitive, I'm not a fan of over zealot PC cancel culture, so that's not where I'm coming from.

When one looks at all of Stirchley's comments in this thread she's clearly coming down on the side of not offending minorities with questionable names (good for her!)...so then it doesn't follow that she'd make a crude joke at the expanse of people who suffer from gigantism.

I think if anything she attempted a joke without thinking about it and inadvertently commented a faux pas...then blamed it on 'British Humor'.

I have a question: has any professional U.S. sports team changed their name because it was deemed insensitive? Or would the Washington Redskins be the first?
I know the fighting Illni of University of Illinois got rid of an Indian mascot 5-8 years ago. Don't think they changed their name. I know the Cleveland Indians got rid of their logo...I am sure a team changed name is coming soon. Which related to this site, wonder if Major League movies become problematic if that happens.

Being a Gator fan...we just got rid of the chant "Gator Bait". Which was beyond miserably stupid. I've chanted it at games growing up, with black friends. Not a trace of it was racist until the administration made it racist by saying it was. In the statement it even says while having no connection with racism.

The Gator-Seminole rivalry the Seminoles were named after a tribe in Florida. They basically have what amounts to the same logo as the Redskins. I despise them, but they have a dude painted as Chief Osceola on a beautiful horse that takes a flaming spear and chucks it in the ground in front of 90,000 at midfield before the game. It is cool. Deference in the Redskins vs Seminoles situation, at least I am told by my Nole friends, is the Seminole nation completely supports FSU. Now I still think Osceola is and maybe Seminoles gets change eventually, nothing is safe right now.

The Land O Lakes butter company changing their logo was dumb. The daughter of the person who created the logo was a Native American artist. Literally a Native American made the logo. Racist against themselves I suppose.

But to wand it all the way back to the Redskins....I saw people wear Caucasians t-shirts with a white version of the Cleveland Indians logo. I actually thought it was a cool name. Washington Caucasians. But the ironic thing is if they were named that they would get offended in the complete opposite way...saying it supports white supremacy

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

New York Giants. Very disrespectful & insensitive to gigantic people.
It's funny you say that. Because after the Redskin news I was thinking about every other team in the NFC East.

Giants....Maybe little people get offend and want the team name changed.

Eagles...Maybe peta doesn't like animals as team names anymore.

Cowboys...supports white supremacy and the imagery of Indians being killed.

I am being facetious....but all it takes is one person now to be offended and get the ball rolling. I don't doubt anything is off limits now. I could probably do it with every name. Hell Peta would knock out all the animal names

You should quit while you're a head!
If only I'd thought about it a bit more .... I should have foreseen these types of comment as a drawback to the name

The trick is not minding
I know the fighting Illni of University of Illinois got rid of an Indian mascot 5-8 years ago. Don't think they changed their name. I know the Cleveland Indians got rid of their logo...I am sure a team changed name is coming soon. Which related to this site, wonder if Major League movies become problematic if that happens.

Being a Gator fan...we just got rid of the chant "Gator Bait". Which was beyond miserably stupid. I've chanted it at games growing up, with black friends. Not a trace of it was racist until the administration made it racist by saying it was. In the statement it even says while having no connection with racism.

The Gator-Seminole rivalry the Seminoles were named after a tribe in Florida. They basically have what amounts to the same logo as the Redskins. I despise them, but they have a dude painted as Chief Osceola on a beautiful horse that takes a flaming spear and chucks it in the ground in front of 90,000 at midfield before the game. It is cool. Deference in the Redskins vs Seminoles situation, at least I am told by my Nole friends, is the Seminole nation completely supports FSU. Now I still think Osceola is and maybe Seminoles gets change eventually, nothing is safe right now.

The Land O Lakes butter company changing their logo was dumb. The daughter of the person who created the logo was a Native American artist. Literally a Native American made the logo. Racist against themselves I suppose.

But to wand it all the way back to the Redskins....I saw people wear Caucasians t-shirts with a white version of the Cleveland Indians logo. I actually thought it was a cool name. Washington Caucasians. But the ironic thing is if they were named that they would get offended in the complete opposite way...saying it supports white supremacy
Florida Gator Fan here as well!
That’s all.....

Here in Denmark we just had a huge thing like this going on... about an ice cream.

We have a popular ice cream that has existed for like 50+ years called The Eskimo. But that’s offensive so that has been changed now.... a freaking ice cream.

A system of cells interlinked
Then please explain it?

As I sure don't see a joke in her post...and no that's not me being over sensitive, I'm not a fan of over zealot PC cancel culture, so that's not where I'm coming from.

When one looks at all of Stirchley's comments in this thread she's clearly coming down on the side of not offending minorities with questionable names (good for her!)...so then it doesn't follow that she'd make a crude joke at the expanse of people who suffer from gigantism.

I think if anything she attempted a joke without thinking about it and inadvertently commented a faux pas...then blamed it on 'British Humor'.
I don't see the issue with it. As a fan of comedians like Sam Kinison, comedy should offend from time to time. One of his best bits made fun of starving children - you can't punch much lower than that. As for why I took it as a joke straight away, I didn't even think of people with actual gigantism, instead taking her joke as highlighting the absurd lengths to which something like this can be taken. As for what the actual intent was, I will always defer to the person who said whatever is in question, as they most certainly understand the intent better than someone else.

In closing, smash the overton window daily.

Cowboys...supports white supremacy and the imagery of Indians being killed.
Taking bets on how long it is until this is an actual thing...

Are you saying that if one wants to make a cultural change one is always a member of a mob? That’s seems an unfair assumption.

I think I was clear in stating that I oppose the manner, not the change in itself.

In fact, I have added that change, if any, should be brought about after discussions. After hearing all sides. I am against the idea of bowing down or giving into a vocal group. I deem those aggressive individuals as Mob. And trust me tomorrow it could be someone else like them. Someone with far worse perspectives.

I am against the approach, which unfortunately is increasingly being normalised in our society today.

You ready? You look ready.
I think I was clear in stating that I oppose the manner, not the change in itself.

In fact, I have added that change, if any, should be brought about after discussions. After hearing all sides. I am against the idea of bowing down or giving into a vocal group. I deem those aggressive individuals as Mob. And trust me tomorrow it could be someone else like them. Someone with far worse perspectives.

I am against the approach, which unfortunately is increasingly being normalised in our society today.
I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that it's all about money and investors were the one calling for the change. FedEx was basically threatening to take their stadium away.

I see no mob.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The Tarheels have been put on notice. If it really hurts anyone, change it.

What is weird is how the group is trying to pick what the replacement name, Rams, is before Tarheels has even been cancelled.

The Tarheels have been put on notice. If it really hurts anyone, change it.

What is weird is how the group is trying to pick what the replacement name, Rams, is before Tarheels has even been cancelled.
They should change their name to Sticky Shoes.

I keep expecting Greta Thunberg to start lambasting the New York Jets for supporting Climate Change.

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that it's all about money and investors were the one calling for the change. FedEx was basically threatening to take their stadium away.

I see no mob.
Fed Ex never had a problem before. They are part of the mob.

Fed Ex never had a problem before. They are part of the mob.
Ah, that explains why the FedEx guy had a pitchfork when he delivered to my house yesterday. Gosh darnit, should have known something was up.

Follow the money. FedEx doesn't care. Can't be a part of the mob when you don't care.

Ah, that explains why the FedEx guy had a pitchfork when he delivered to my house yesterday. Gosh darnit, should have known something was up.

Follow the money. FedEx doesn't care. Can't be a part of the mob when you don't care.
You're right that they don't care, but they're part of the mob who are strong arming the team, just like anybody who is strong arming them.

The trick is not minding
You're right that they don't care, but they're part of the mob who are strong arming the team, just like anybody who is strong arming them.
Being a part of a “mob” doesn’t detract form it being the correct call.