The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
a couple of movies I love, several I haven't but been wanting see and a few unknowns that look very intriguing -- QUITE the list!!!!!
I concur with Cricket!!

First of all i've seen six of these films. I'm not going to rewatch five (including my nom) because i've seen them all recently enough that i remember them and i think another watch would only hurt them. I'll post my five write-ups i did in separate posts so i can link them, the reviews will be kept in my second post in the thread. I'll link the post after i add my write-ups.

Dead Poets Society - 5.5/10

This was alright, I liked Robin Williams in this but would still say he was better in One Hour Photo and Good Will Hunting. My main problem was all of the students except the guy who played Neil who was ok, Ethan Hawke is one of my very favourite actors working today but he got on my nerves probably the most. Also a few of the inspirational scenes like Hawke reading the poem in class with his eyes closed and the famous last scene made me cringe a bit if i'm honest. Still it had its moments, i liked the first hour alot more than the second which may be a bit odd.
Bit of a mixed reaction for me Sarge but i didn't think it was bad and i think it will do well here. Pretty sure it is one of Pussy Galore's favourite films.

Already told you in a PM PG that i'm not a big fan of this but as you can see i didn't hate it, just personally thought it was mediocre. Think some members will really dig it because there is good stuff there, some of it annoyed me though.

Captain Fantastic -

A friend of mine really liked this so i gave it a shot, it was alright. There was quite a bit of corny humour and bad dialogue that actually bothered me. I get what they were trying to do with Ben answering anything his kids ask truthfully without any sugar-coating but it mostly came across really awkward, and the whole little girl says things no one her age should know/understand thing got annoying quick. Certainly wasn't all bad though, it touched on some interesting themes, had some touching moments and Viggo Mortensen and Frank Langella were very good.

Overall a mostly enjoyable but mediocre film in my opinion.

As you know Raul i love your nom. Watched Margaret from Lonergan recently and wasn't crazy about it but this film is great and probably an early favourite.

Manchester By The Sea -
+

Great film. Top four of 2016 for me so far. I'm pretty tired right now so i don't have that much to say but anyway.

Casey was great he deserves the praise he's been getting. I thought the flashback structure was used to great effect, showing how happy and just genuinely lively Lee was before compared to his current day lifeless self was a good move. Everybody in Manchesters reaction to hearing about him "the Lee Chandler?", etc, really created genuine intrigue to finding out what happened and went well with the flashbacks. The film took a sharp turn when i found out what happened, up to that point the film had had a sombre tone but of course that heavily escalated it. The actual scene was great, the music and the cutting between the most horrible moment in his life and the present where he has to make this enormous decision which is even bigger here because it means he'll have to trust himself to have responsibility again, how it completely explained why he is the way he is now, the gun, etc, really excellent scene. Lucas Hedges was very good too, think he deserves his Oscar nom. I loved how through his constant prodding and his own problems he forced some life back into Lee. His breakdown scene at seeing the freezer for example, that was legitimately unsettling i thought at first he may have been having a heart attack; wasn't sure if his fathers disease was hereditary or not but that's definitely what went through my head at first, well acted by Hedges. He was a real smartass too, loved some of his interactions with Lee "what happened to your hand?" "I cut it." "Oh, for a moment there i didn't know what happened." .

Overall it had a great cast. Quite a few people popped up that i wasn't expecting; Matthew Broderick, Tate Donovan, Kara Hayward, etc. Got to be honest though, the one thing i don't completely agree with is the praise for Michelle Williams. She was fine i just didn't find anything special in her performance and i really don't understand why everyone else apparently did. That's not to say i didn't like their scenes together though; her apologizing scene was fantastic and practically everything after that was very powerful. Great film.

I haven't seen quite a few of these, so it'll be an adventurous HoF for me. Looking forward to it! I've been meaning to watch The Hunt, as well as Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring, so it looks like I'll finally be getting around to those.

Dead Poet's Society, The Marriage of Maria Braun, The Three Musketeers, and Wings of Desire are all films I haven't seen in many years, so it'll be nice to revisit those.

I really enjoy The Great Dictator, and watched it fairly recently, so I don't think I'll rewatch that (though I might want to anyway), and I only saw Manchester by the Sea not long ago, so I won't be rewatching that either. I'll definitely posts my thoughts on both films when I have the time though.

Buffalo '66 - Never heard of it, looks interesting.

Dead Poet's Society - Haven't seen it in a while... It'll be fun revisiting it.

Manchester by the Sea - Watched it fairly recently and liked it. Will likely give it a rewatch.

Dances With Wolves - Very eager to see this !! Seems like the type of movie, I'd love.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - Never heard of it, looks interesting.

The Marriage of Maria Braun - Never heard of it, looks interesting.

The Three Musketeers - I'm not sure if I saw this. Still looking forward to it !

Captain Fantastic - Looks interesting.

The Hunt - I think this might be my early favourite for the win. Excpetional film!

The Great Dictator - I've only seen clips of it. Cannot wait to watch it in full lenght !

The Broken Circle Breakdown - Never heard of it, looks interesting.

Nightmare Alley - This was actually suppose to be one of my next watches. Nice timing CR !

Forbidden Games - My nomination.

The Intouchables - I actually watched it for the 3rd time, couple of weeks ago. It was still suprisingly entertaining.

The Quiet Earth - Never heard of it, looks interesting.

Wings of Desire - Looks interesting.

Seems like a nice variety of films. Should be a fun HoF.

Legend in my own mind
Only seen four of them so am pretty excited.

Not sure whether I will rewatch Manchester by the sea as I have only recently seen it.

With that said, I was largely disappointed with it although the acting was excellent.

A second viewing may change my initia opinion or simply reinforce it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Some great nominations there. I don't have time for a movie hall of fame watch this month but looking forward to the reviews especially for the hunt which is a very powerful movie with outstanding acting.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Alright. Some movies I have seen. Some I have not. And there were a couple that I have honestly never heard of before.

Buffalo '66 - This is one that I have never heard of but it sounds just like my kind of thing to watch. And you don't disappoint me with your nominations, Camo.
Dead Poets Society - I was honestly thinking about maybe watching this movie again the other day. It has been years and years since I have watched it. I am going to assume that I will still like it just as much as before (and up to my final viewing I had seen it a bunch of times), but after all of these years we will see.
Manchester By the Sea - I requested this from the library a few weeks ago when the DVD became available. I am still on the hold list. I believe I am 47 out of 307. So it may be awhile before I can watch it, but I will most definitely be able to see it before the deadline.
Dances With Wolves - Seen it and I own this one. And I am always in the mood for a little bit of Kevin Costner.
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - I know it, of course, but I have never seen it.
The Marriage of Maria Braun - Why, cricket, why??? This is the one that I cannot obtain. The only one, in fact. You just had to be the troublemaker for me two times in a row now.
The Three Musketeers - Oh, get off your Three Musketeers kick, Ed. I don't know if I have seen this ever. I don't think so. But I am not 100% positive. If I have, it was a long time ago when I was a kid (I am just getting the feeling that I have seen this version).
Captain Fantastic - I have heard of it, but I have never seen it.
The Hunt - Have heard of it, but have never seen it
The Great Dictator - My nomination, I have seen it and I own it.
The Broken Circle Breakdown - Never heard of it.
Nightmare Alley - I saw this one a long time ago, but I don't remember much about it.
Forbidden Games - Again, heard of it, but have never seen it.
The Intouchables - I have been wanting to see this for awhile now. Glad to see that it was nominated here so I will now get around to watching it.
The Quiet Earth - Never heard of it
Wings of Desire - Saw it once years ago.

So, other than cricket making life hard for me again , I can obtain all of these and it sounds like a pretty interesting HoF. And, like the Short Films, I will wait until next week to try to begin this - or whenever I can get some of the movies in from the library first. I think I will hold off on the two that I own until the end again. I actually own Dead Poets Society, too, but yes, only on VHS, and you guys don't want to hear about my dead VCR again.

As i told you Nesto your nom is one of my favourite films. Curious what people will think, after it showed up in my 250 i remember Citizen saying he's interested in seeing it actually.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring -
+

Watched this earlier but didn't get a chance to write anything because i was going to a halloween party. If you haven't seen it don't read as there's spoiler here.

Oh, man this film was effective. For as simple as it was the Spring tied stones part at the beginning really got to me; the fish being dead was enough but the snake and then the kid crying! Think it was the being forced to confront your actions/mistakes thing makes you think of some silly stuff you may have done in your life that you never had to think about the consequences of (obviously not harming animals or even anything serious) because it was done you moved on; but this kid was actually forced to see what his actions resulted in. That and just the fact that the master could've stopped him as soon as he started doing it to the fish; obviously he was teaching him a lesson but he clearly let it go overnight because he knew chances were at least 1/3 would be dead or seriously harmed. And i'm not ruling out that sick maniac going out in the middle of the night to kill the snake himself !

Summer was good too, but pretty awkward. It wasn't easy watching him have to deal with sexual attraction at first, mainly because it was obviously something he had never really had to think about or deal with because he'd been alone with his master there since he was a kid, he was just so clueless and weirdly forceful at first that it was a bit cringey. There were some great things about this part though; particularly seeing him acting like a normal teenager or whatever age he was supposed to be like when he put the cricket on the girls shoulder and was messing around with her. The thing that annoyed me most about this part was their recklessness; there was no need for them to sneak into each others beds or out at night, i get that there had to be a way for them to get caught and the best way that suited the film was for his desire to be so strong, still was annoying though.

One thing i found funny about Fall was the fact that the master first heard about the murder from a newspaper. Such a minor thing but i kind of cracked up at the idea of a paperboy rowing through this river to deliver the paper . Obviously that doesn't have to be how he got it, but i still don't even see why it was needed at all; i mean 10 seconds later he arrived and clearly said he killed her, it's not important enough to bother me but i did find it funny. All of Fall was pretty weird; it included the oddest suicide attempt i've ever seen and the master finally showing some emotion by angrily beating him with a stick. Not to mention the omnious music playing. It was very good though. For how angry and emotional it started it ended on a very peaceful note even though it kind of broke me; the masters suicide was a beautiful scene.

Winter (and Spring) was just gorgeous. Throughout the other parts the weather seemed to be only changing slightly every time so the drastic change to snow/ice was so noticeable and welcome. That first shot of him walking across the frozen lake to the house was sublime. The actual story of Winter was good too. I thought it would just be a full part of him becoming the master which i was all for; when the woman come though i had no idea what was going on. I couldn't tell if her baby was sick or if it was her (possibly neither) i can't tell you how paranoid i was about her taking off her headscarf and having a really mangled face. From the moment she brought the kid there it was obvious that he'd take the new masters role as the student which was fine, got to admit though i wasn't a fan of the 'circle of life' look he's making the exact same mistakes ending; well they changed it from tying a rock to the back to putting a rock in the animals mouth but they even did it with a fish, frog and snake again.

Great film. It is a bit uneven but it isn't a big problem since it was always going to be with it basically being four (technically five but i don't really count And Spring because it was only a few minutes long and was basically a repeat of the first story) separate stories. I think it goes without saying that it was stunning; they picked one of the most picturesque places imaginable to film and with a very capable cinematographer it is greatly amplified. Very beautiful, soothing score as well that gels perfectly with most scenes.

Camo as you know i you and your nomination is outstanding and should win. Just keep being yourself

I actually already told Cricket what i was nominating because he saw my post about it and said that he can't stand the sight of Gallo's "bug eyed dirty ugly face" He's correct of course. I absolutely despise Gallo and think he is a vile human being so i don't just think i was expecting to hate this but on some level i think i wanted to because i didn't want to have to admit he was talented on any level... but i did.

I absolutely won't blame anyone for hating this or even thinking it is a bad film, after you watch it read my post and you'll see that i think it is very flawed. But i think these flaws create a unique environment which makes this a really beautiful film. It got to me on quite a strong level and i'll be happy if even one of you likes it half as much as i did.

Buffalo '66

From everything i've read about him and what he has said Vincent Gallo sounds like an awful person so i was half expecting to dislike this but i really loved it to my surprise. There's so many problems with it too; the events of the film aren't believable - Layla has multiple chances to escape early on all she knows him as is an aggressive ******* who kidnapped her and has just left prison, if the film had it as her being too scared to say drive away when he was peeing then fairenough but she is clearly not by her demeanor and attitude towards him, it's bad enough that she falls for him after he calms down a bitafter his pee but i felt the film was telling me she was attracted to him right away which isn't believable. Her falling for him at all is the most tough to swallow, he's aggresive and potentially dangerous and just acts completely terrible to her throughout; he softens up in the motel scene towards the end but before that he hasn't shown her any other side to him which makes her calling him "the most handsome", "too good for her", etc, throughout the film doesn't make much sense as well as her not leaving when she can after the scene with his parents. So yeah on paper this shouldn't have worked at all but for whatever reason i felt a connection/chemistry that i can't quite explain which made this work. Another thing that initially annoyed me but ended up a positive and possibly the explanation for their relationship working for me was the self-aggrandizing; Billy was a character in a movie of course so if it was pretty much anyone else other than Gallo who had written and was playing the character i wouldn't have thought anything of it but from the various comments i've read from Gallo including some related to this film he sounds arrogant and unpleasant so say the "it's just so huge" urinal scene felt like him stroking his own ego in some weird way to me. The first Lalya comments felt the same at first as well but then as we got more into i realized that Billy is a messed up loser and Layla is the only one that takes notice of him and says anything positive about him, it made it feel like they were in their own little world; every other character felt weirdly detached from Billy which worked to justify his existence being so terrible to him, Layla payed attention to and had a genuine interest in him, she noticed things that Billy had no reason to believe were there and maybe they weren't but i don't think it actually matters. I certainly think all of those problems i mentioned still stand but i think this goes some way to explain why the relationship worked for me despite them. Even the urinal part has a self-deprecating explanation that i wasn't expecting with his serious self-consciousness; doesn't want to be touched/watched. So yeah not sure if it will hold up but to my surprise i kinda loved this. Still don't like Gallo and while i really like his script (co-written so i'm not sure how much was his) and performance the film was certainly not his alone, Ricci was just as good as him and his comments about her were awful and Lance Acord's visuals played a massive part; again Gallo's comments about him were awful, don't believe for a second the visuals were Gallo's when you consider some of Acord's other credits: Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Lost In Translation, Marie Antoinette and Where The Wild Things Are.

+

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Buffalo '66 - Never heard of it.

Dead Poet's Society - Haven't watched this for ages! Going to be fun!

Manchester by the Sea - This has to be the most recent movie ever being nominated on a HoF! Haven't seen it yet but I'm curious.

Dances With Wolves - Watched this last week, the extended version! Great movie, won't rewatch it cause it's still fresh!

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - Watched it 3 or 4 months ago. I don't know if I'm going to rewatch this yet, it depends on how much time I have and other people opinions on it.

The Marriage of Maria Braun - I have heard of it but I don't have any idea what's it about.

The Three Musketeers - Didn't watch it and I have a sense it's not my cup of tea but I hope it surprises me.

Captain Fantastic - Never heard of it.

The Hunt - My nom. After nominating some hidden gems that had little chance of winning one of these things, I brought a big gun this time. The Hunt is one of the most amazing films I ever seen and I hope it has the same impact on you that had on me.

The Great Dictator - I've been meaning to watch this for ages. Nice!!!

The Broken Circle Breakdown - Never heard of it.

Nightmare Alley - It's a CR nom, so there's a great chance I'll love it. Apart from that, never heard of it.

Forbidden Games - Never heard of it.

The Intouchables - Watched this recently. It's a nice movie, won't watch it again.

The Quiet Earth - Never heard of it.

Wings of Desire - Uuuuh, Wim Wenders!!! I'll finally have the chance to watch this!!!

Aside from my own nomination, I've only seen one of these films and it was so long ago that I barely remember it. This is going to be a lot of work.

Watched: 16/16

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix Van Groeningen, 2012)
(1 hour, 51 minutes)
Nominated By ScarlettLion
Rewatch: No
Review: April 26, 2017
Rating:
+

Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo, 1998)
(1 hour, 50 minutes)
Nominated by Camo
Review: April 16, 2017
Rating:
+

Captain Fantastic (Matt Ross, 2016)
(1 hours, 58 minutes)
Nominated By PussyGalore
Review: April 12, 2017
Rating:
+

Dances With Wolves (Kevin Costner, 1990)
(3 hours, 1 minute)
Nominated by Miss Vicky
Rewatch: Yes, obviously
Review: May 14, 2017
Rating:

Dead Poet's Society (Peter Weir, 1989)
(2 hours, 8 minutes)
Nominated By Sarge
Rewatch: Yes, but it has been a very long time.
Review: April 30, 2017
Rating:
-

Flesh + Blood (Paul Verhoeven, 1985)
(2 hours, 8 minutes)
Nominated By Blix the Goblin
Rewatch: No.
Review: May 2, 2017
Rating:
-

Forbidden Games (Rene Clement, 1952)
(1 hour, 26 minutes)
Nominated By Jeff Costello
Review: April 22, 2017
Rating:

The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, 1940)
(2 hours, 5 minutes)
Nominated By SilentVamp
Review: April 14, 2017
Rating:
-

The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)
(1 hour, 55 minutes)
Nominated By Neiba
Review: April 24, 2017
Rating:
+

Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)
(2 hours, 17 minutes)
Nominated By Raul
Review: May 6, 2017
Rating:

The Marriage of Maria Braun (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1979)
(2 hours)
Nominated By Cricket
Review: April 18, 3017
Rating:
-

Nightmare Alley (Edmund Goulding, 1947)
(1 hour, 50 minutes)
Nominated By Citizen Rules
Review: May 5, 2016
Rating:
+

The Quiet Earth (Goeff Murphy, 1985)
(1 hour, 31 minutes)
Nominated By Clazor
Review: April 17, 2017
Rating:
+

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring (Kim Ki-Duk, 2003)
(1 hour, 43 minutes)
Nominated By Nestorio
Rewatch: No, but I've been meaning to see it for awhile
Review: April 13, 2017
Rating:
-

The Three Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1973)
(1 hour, 46 minutes)
Nominated By Edarsenal
Review: April 20, 2017
Rating:
-

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
(2 hours, 8 minutes)
Nominated By Cosmic
Review: April 15, 2017
Rating:

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've previously watched 5 of the nominated films - Dead Poet's Society, Manchester by the Sea, Dances With Wolves, Spring Summer Autumn Winter...and Spring and The Three Musketeers. Of the rest there are a few I've been interested in and several I've actually blind bought over the years (The Hunt, Wings of Desire, Quiet Earth).

So as I said I'll maybe try and join in with this depending how things go.

Out of all the Hall of Fames I've been in, this is the group of nominations I've been most excited about.

Buffalo 66

I meant to watch this a while back because it's one of Matt's favorite movies, but then I just forgot about it. My interest was renewed recently when Camo reviewed it. I despise the lead actor but it looks like my kind of movie.

Dead Poets Society

I've seen this once, but 20 years ago. It didn't do much for me but I hardly remember it and my taste has changed dramatically. I was planning on trying it again at some point.

Manchester By The Sea

I watched this very recently. Despite enjoying it an awful lot, I was a little disappointed. Granted, my expectations were through the roof. I love the story, but I wasn't thrilled with the execution. I thought there were some needless scenes, and it wasn't as emotionally powerful for me as I had hoped. The main performances are terrific. I was in that city today and will be tomorrow as it's part of my regular delivery route. Setting familiarity always makes me enjoy a movie more. I don't feel that I need to watch it again.

Dances With Wolves

Probably the biggest name movie nominated, and along with Schindler's List, probably the biggest name movie I haven't seen yet.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter....and Spring.

This was already on my watchlist as I've heard nothing but wonderful things.

The Marriage of Maria Braun

My nomination that I picked off of Ebert's great movies list to watch back for the 70's countdown, and it made my list for that decade. It features one of my all time favorite female performances and characters.

The Three Musketeers

I loved this as a kid but it's been about 35 years since I saw it last. It will be great to watch it again.

Captain Fantastic

I recently added this to my watchlist because of the great things I've heard and because I like Viggo.

The Hunt

In a big coincidence, Netflix mailed this movie out to me this morning as I was already planning on watching it this coming Saturday night with my wife. Strangely enough, the exact same thing happened in a recent Hall of Fame.

The Great Dictator

This was already on my 40's watchlist for the upcoming countdown.

The Broken Circle Breakdown

This was already on my watchlist.

Nightmare Alley

I watched this recently for the upcoming 40's countdown after randomly picking it off of the noirs list. It is not a typical noir and I enjoyed it enough to not only put it on my list of contenders for my 40's list, but it was a contender for my nomination for the upcoming 40's Hall of Fame.

Forbidden Games

I watched this movie for the 50's countdown. It didn't make my list, but it's a terrific movie. It looks like the typical foreign arthouse movie that normally doesn't do well in these tournaments, but I think people are going to like this one. It's an easy watch at less than 90 minutes long, and I'm going to watch it again.

The Intouchables

I actually just added this to my watchlist a couple days ago after answering a question about it. For those that don't know, it is very high on the IMDb top 250.

The Quiet Earth

I only just heard of this recently thanks to the Sci-Fi countdown. That's not one of my favorite genres but I will hope for the best.

Wings of Desire

This will only be my third movie from director Wim Wenders and was already on my watchlist.

Looks like I picked a bad nomination as nobody will be watching it for this
For me it was just sooo recent. I thought you were going to nominate that or La La Land. I'm sure some of us haven't seen it though.