Saully's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Yes, I also think that this movie is one of the most underrated and underexposed action movies of this decade, I watched this movie in my senior school, it does leave a great impression to me, I hope there will have sequel of this movie.
Drive? Underrated and underexposed? I don't think so.

Yes it was kind of boring. And that's why it's not getting a 4.5/5 or 5/5. If it had just been a little less boring, or if I'd been into movies like this, I'm sure it would have gotten a higher rating.

Does that answer your question?
Not really, but maybe you're more lenient marker than I am. For example, I think the first 10 minutes of Blade is great. Then the film falls away, I became bored and turned it off about 15-20 minutes before the end of the film. I'd give that 1/5, maybe 1.5/5 because I really did like the opening scene and I don't remember it being a bad film, just one that didn't interest me and bored me.

Maybe, as you seemed to like the film, a higher rating would be justifiable, but 4/5 seems, to me, to be very high for any film that bored you.

[300]

So 300 takes place 400 BC, and the "god" king Xerxes of Persia is just strolling his army and he's just taking over land. I mean he's enslaving people, he just wants to take over the world. However, the "wise" people of Sparta are like "No we can't go to war, it's the time of diplomacy". And so they're gonna stroll into Sparta and wipe out all the dudes and take the women and children to slaves or worse. And Leonidas, the king of Sparta is not gonna let that happen. And so against Spartan law, Leonidas takes 300 guys to go do what needs to be done.

Now it's 10000 Persians against 300 Spartans. But Leonidas and the 300 are made for war. So they have a lot of battle tactics. And the Persians, you know... They die.

The entire movie was filmed on a green screen. It looks all stylized and what not, things are exaggerated, but they're supposed to be exaggerated. It's one of those things where, if you're gonna make it look like the graphic novel, make it like the graphic novel. So it felt like i was watching a graphic novel. And it worked.

And while Leonidas and the 300 are out there fighting the Persians, there's actually this whole segment dealing with Leonidas' wife and and the council. She's trying to convince them to send troops up help them. And of course they're like, "He's an outlaw! Diplomacy...".

A lot of people have said that this is just a simple minded movie. I wouldn't just call it that. Yeah, 75% of it deals with them fighting. But it just has a simple concept. And the simple concept is when douche bags come in to take over your land and enslave your people, diplomacy is dead, you gotta fight.

The ending of this movie is just bad ass. It is just perfect for what it needed to be.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Loved District 9, Equilibrium and The Hurt Locker. I love the battle scenes in 300, arguably some of the best ever put to film, just the rest of the flick I felt was a little lacking, it could have been up there with Gladiator.

I always try to promote Equilibrium like I'm in the marketing dep or something, I feel it's a great flick that has been passed over. Love the puppy scene. People call it a Matrix rip off but I think the concept of a gun kata or gun martial art is a very original one, and I can't think of anything quite like that in any other flick.