The Expanse

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
OMG STOP I CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT MY OWN DRAWING NOW!!! hahaha ufghghuguhguhugh

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Yeah, he definitely looks like a poser. Glad to know I'm not the only one that can't take him seriously with that manbun. He seems more like an Earther to me.
yeah. dude has like perfect skin and hair and seems so delicate!

The Adventure Starts Here!
yeah. dude has like perfect skin and hair and seems so delicate!
Plus, I think he (like so many others) wears eyeliner. And yet had a five o'clock shadow perpetually. No thanks.

You ready? You look ready.
Weak-ass ending. If they don't carry it on with a spinoff show for Laconia I will hold this ending in the same regard I hold BSG.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Weak-ass ending. If they don't carry it on with a spinoff show for Laconia I will hold this ending in the same regard I hold BSG.
Well, I thought it was a better ending than BSG or Lost, let's say. Or Dexter. Not saying much, though, is it?

They purposely stopped short of where the books all go, and I assume that just leaves them the opening to take up another series later if they want.

But maybe I need to rewatch or read a wiki or something, so here's the question I literally yelled at the TV as soon as that last episode ended: "SO WHY DID WE SEE THAT STUFF ON LACONIA AT ALL?"

I mean... what's up with the "dogs," etc.? I... I... can't even.
Did I just completely miss something obvious with why they included all that stuff at all?

You ready? You look ready.
@Austruck: Yeah, they basically **** the bed at the end hoping someone will want to continue the story. I had a feeling that was going to be the case, but I was hoping it wouldn’t be. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Had to put up with all that Marco/Filip crap for nothing. Wish I could get those hours back.

Like it’d be a totally different take if they had already announced a new show spinoff or movie spin-offs. Nope, just a bunch of poorly designed sets and random characters that have no bearing on anything. It’s like they ran a test pilot inside of a series finale. Who does something like that?!?

@Austruck: Yeah, they basically **** the bed at the end hoping someone will want to continue the story. I had a feeling that was going to be the case, but I was hoping it wouldn’t be. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Had to put up with all that Marco/Filip crap for nothing. Wish I could get those hours back.

Like it’d be a totally different take if they had already announced a new show spinoff or movie spin-offs. Nope, just a bunch of poorly designed sets and random characters that have no bearing on anything. It’s like they ran a test pilot inside of a series finale. Who does something like that?!?
The article I quoted above adds some context for the Laconia story... which I would NEVER have guessed on my own, having not read the books. It just felt completely separate and tacked on all season long.

I actually stopped watching halfway through this final episode and checked Google to see if there were more episodes left, or perhaps a seventh season in the works. I could tell halfway through that this just didn't feel like the right timing or pacing for a *series* finale at all. Especially since the description on my Roku called it simply a "season finale." I was surprised that this really is/was the *series* finale. Wasn't surprised at all to find out there are three further books in the series...

It had that ridiculous "THE END???" feeling to it. I hate shows that do that.

Having said all this, though, I did enjoy this series quite a bit throughout its run. But most of this last season felt like stereotypical "chase the bad guy and git 'em" stuff without as much going on outside of that basic plotline. I completely forgot about the protomolecule stuff way too much this season. And I was really getting tired of Inaros by mid-season.

Okay, collective hive mind... I've been meaning to ask this for several SEASONS of this show now. If you watch with the subtitles on (and I do that with everything now), you've seen this every single episode during the opening credits. Is the opening music from a song from Norway or something?

The opening music is by Clinton Shorter - here's a link to the soundtrack album on Spotify that was released for Season One. According to Uncle Google the singer on the opening credits is Lisbeth Scott.

The opening music is by Clinton Shorter - here's a link to the soundtrack album on Spotify that was released for Season One. According to Uncle Google the singer on the opening credits is Lisbeth Scott.
So it's music written for the show then. I guess I just always scratched my head at that "woman singing in Norwegian" bit in the subtitles, since I kept wondering if that fact had any significance.

So it's music written for the show then. I guess I just always scratched my head at that "woman singing in Norwegian" bit in the subtitles, since I kept wondering if that fact had any significance.
I'm guessing they just tapped into the trend of having Scandic singing over the credits, apparently Scott wrote the lyrics herself.

3 minutes into ep6 and it's come to
WARNING: spoilers below
space zombies

I haven't read comments yet, but I'm frustrated reading the ep note that this is the finale. My feeling is there are just too many loose ends to close out in this one ep. Yeah. I paused and it's not a 2-hour closure either.

I don't know. Hopes are low at this point. Magic otter squid dogs seem to be way out of left field. If for no other reason, their existence and powers surely would have been discovered as colonists settled the land. That kid tho. Meh. How can they close this arc in one ep considering it's taken five just to introduce the mystery beginning? I'm guessing this is a past timeline showing the original protomolecule or whatever it was that started season 1. I can't remember how it was all spelled out in previous seasons, if at all. I wondered, after necrosquid seal burped out that momma hen earlier on but if it's something along those lines, well, I'm forced back to asking why the colonist SCIENTISTS hadn't already discovered and exploited this?!

Kk. I'm done typing. Manbun man is on screen. He so perdy.

You know me, ever the pessimist. Let's tune in!

*EDIT*
Well. I guess I was wrong there.

I assume you meant you were wrong about your theory re. Laconia? Yeah, the way they handled that totally sucked. If they weren't going to cover that *whole* story in this particular incarnation of the books, they shouldn't have touched on it at all, IMHO. One lousy scene with the guy on Laconia talking to Manbun Inaros, and that's supposed to be our connection? I mean, we were supposed to start caring about that kid and her brother and then... poof! Sorry, folks. Nothin' you're gonna see or hear here. Wait for some follow-up series five years from now.

Not cool.

I assume you meant you were wrong about your theory re. Laconia? Yeah, the way they handled that totally sucked. If they weren't going to cover that *whole* story in this particular incarnation of the books, they shouldn't have touched on it at all, IMHO. One lousy scene with the guy on Laconia talking to Manbun Inaros, and that's supposed to be our connection? I mean, we were supposed to start caring about that kid and her brother and then... poof! Sorry, folks. Nothin' you're gonna see or hear here. Wait for some follow-up series five years from now.

Not cool.

Absolutely. That near hour of screen time could have been used more to explore the ring entities concept more than a tease from Holden feeling "something." Or more time to plan out and execute that battle at the end. It looked great, but I had no clue wtf was going on. =\

I need to rewatch the season again but I'm so bothered by the girl and manbun man, I'm not sure I can. I did like the way the politics were played in the end. I'm ok with that. And I guess they created a hook hoping it will be picked up again by someone. I guess. But the licorice world dog squid zombie sub-plot was kinda useless in context. IMO, at least.

If anyone decides to rewatch, lemme know. I might try. With support.

A system of cells interlinked
Show ruled. Roci crew ending was fantastic. I was fine with the way all that tied up; I thought they were going to kill Peaches, and I was going to smash the TV.

Surprised folks aren't picking up on the moral of the story re: Filip and Marcos (or maybe you are, but you just hate it). If anything, I thought it was a tad on the nose, but I liked the message well enough. You guys must bow to Keon's man-bun! Filip was a good character; I liked how his story was handled.

Wasn't happy with how they didn't use Drummer enough in the final battles, but hey, for a gal that wasn't even supposed to still be around, I am glad they expanded her character the way they did.

Gladly, I wrote off Laconia early in the season, as I had a feeling it would just end up being a trail of bread crumbs for some hoped-for future expansion pack.

Lastly...if the ending seemed abrupt, let's all gather round and blame the real culprit: Amazon. The bastards pulled the rug out from under the showrunners, chopping the season down to 6 episodes instead of the usual 10. Total ********.

@Sedai... I'm curious because I think you've read at least some of the books, yes? Did that help you realize it was a good idea to not invest too much curiosity in the Laconia part of the story this season?

And I think we all were watching episode six and thinking it felt like it was ending too soon. Some of those storylines just conveniently wrapped up and ended, when I would have liked to see more of the post-battle negotiations and how life looked after they were trying to live together in harmony.

A system of cells interlinked
@Sedai... I'm curious because I think you've read at least some of the books, yes? Did that help you realize it was a good idea to not invest too much curiosity in the Laconia part of the story this season?

And I think we all were watching episode six and thinking it felt like it was ending too soon. Some of those storylines just conveniently wrapped up and ended, when I would have liked to see more of the post-battle negotiations and how life looked after they were trying to live together in harmony.
With the Laconia thread being introduced in the last season, and with the way it was being revealed in such tiny increments, it just had to be a leader for another project.

As to your second point, I would surmise the showrunners felt this more than any of us, having their labor of love cut off at the knees like that. I understand these are expensive episodes, but this is Amazon, and this just reeks of some group of suits looking at a balance sheet, and screw the rest.

Not cool.

Hey man, he's got Gods to kill. He doesn't have time to TV.

That and, fingers crossed, there's more to come in another project.

oye Bosmangs..
Just finished watching, shame the final season had disappointing moments but overall I don't hate it. The space zombie side story was indeed an absolute punishment to watch and there wasn't enough Amos.
My final rating for the entire series would be somewhere around 79-81. So, were would we place this in the all time sci-fi tv-show list? And which show will fill the sci-fi gap this leaves behind? Not sure about that Snowpiercer McClane is talking about but I won't rule it out as an option. There's time to think about it because I still have saved for a rainy day; The Boys season 2 and brand new Boba Fett episodes.