Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

HH Holmes: Original Evil, 2018

This documentary explores the legacy of HH Holmes, a man considered to be "America's first serial killer". The film discusses the myth versus the reality, and addresses several rumors about Holmes, specifically the idea that he might have been Jack the Ripper.

Okay, so at some point someone needs to explain the sunk-cost fallacy to the part of my brain that insists on watching films like this to the end.

On the positive side, I appreciated that the filmmakers seemed to have done a decent chunk of research. I also appreciated that they address from the very beginning that Holmes seems to have been determined to build up his own mythology, and that it's important not to get swept up in outlandish rumors.

Only then . . . the film gets swept up in outlandish rumors. The problem with making a film about a subject like Holmes, is that most people are going to show up for the gory details about his various murders. Wanting to give the "real story", yet unwilling to let go of some of the more salacious stories, the film instead tries to have things both ways: devoting several minutes to a particular account of a murder or to the theory about Holmes being the Ripper, only to then back up and say, "Well, but you know, it's probably not true."

The other thing that bugged me here was the film's insistence on using both really amateurish CGI for no apparent reason---such as CG images of the hotel or a street. The film is also peppered with live reenactments, but they consist of things like a terrified woman cowering in a clearly modern bathroom, wearing clearly modern clothing. It's just very bizarre. Like they just wanted to give the idea of a sex-based crime.

I just . . . .meh.

Oh, wow. LOL. The film has a 1.8 rating on IMDb. Ouch. And the lead trivia item is "Do not waste your time. Worst "documentary" ever".

I just watched Hellbound Train (1930). Directed by Eloyce and James Gist, an African-American evangelist couple, this film is about sinners aboard a doomed train. The engineer is the devil who rejoices and dances every time someone sins. I enjoyed this,in spite of (or maybe because of) its flaws. It's pretty entertaining and surprisingly funny, although I'm not sure it was intended to be that way. The biggest takeaway is that the devil is apparently a really good dancer. It's fair to say that this is Christian propaganda, but it is odd and fun, in its own quirky way. It's worth boarding this Hellbound Train just to watch Satan's dance moves.

I forgot the opening line.
Two really great films from the Foreign Language Countdown yesterday :

By https://www.filmaffinity.com/us/movi...geId=289313610, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=48557977

The Exterminating Angel - (1962)

Wonderfully bizarre film from Luis Buñuel where dinner party guests find themselves unable to leave a room, and their rescuers unable to enter - they have mystifyingly lost the will to. This is full of little comments on class and society, and also tricks, repetition and things to notice. I immediately felt I needed to see the film again, and after reading about it I definitely do. I love strange and amusing oddities like this - which is unlike any film I've seen before. I wish Buñuel had of been given more artistic license and financing during his career to create little wonders like this.

8/10

Foreign Language Countdown films seen : 69/100

By Pabloglezcruz - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=25511713

La Strada - (1954)

I have to say that I love Giulietta Masina so much, and in La Strada she's phenomenal. She teams up with Anthony Quinn, as Federico Fellini wrings every drop of emotion out of me, creating a pair of street artists who have so much going for them, but whose personalities clash to such a sad extent. What they could have is beautiful, but will Quinn's Zampanò realise this or be able to change his ways? It's Masina that brings this film alive with her energetic presence and incredible variety of facial expressions - expressing such a panoply of feelings and projections that I just can't take my eyes off her. I was immediately struck by a desire to watch this again as well.

9/10

Foreign Language Countdown films seen : 70/100

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Prisoners (2013, Denis Villeneuve)

Similarly to Incendies, Prisoners amply demonstrates the importance of a well written script and the ability of a director to translate it onto the screen in as tight and compelling a way as needed to tell a convincing story.
I think I liked Incendies a bit better but this is still a superb film that barely does anything wrong for the entirety of its 2.5 hours running time. Very effective open ending, too.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Prophecy (1979, John Frankenheimer)

One of my all-time favorite monster movies. Robert Foxworth rocking a power mustache, Talia Shire out of her Rocky element, Richard Dysart getting eaten by yet another monster, Armand Assante as a bad ass Native American with a massive swinging dick, and Kevin Peter Hall trading the Predator costume for a mutant bear costume. Decent special effects, a few jump scares, and a 5 foot trout eating a duck.

What the hell more could you ask for out of a 70's horror movie? This movie rocks.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Give Bandidos a shot if you get the chance.
Bandidos (1967)

There's a fine (dubbed) copy on YouTube so I gave it a spin. It starts well, and especially the aftermath of the train robbery accompanied by the sad, beautiful song is a great scene. The film can't keep that level of quality as it goes on but despite the clunky script and forgettable characters, it manages to be above average spaghetti.

--
Eyes of Fire (1983)
aka Cry Blue Sky

What a disappointment. This looked so interesting when I was drooling over the Folk Horror boxed set, and it has good reviews, too. Technically it reminded me of old (eastern) European TV productions and it has some of the worst acting I've seen in ages. I watched the longer DC and it felt such a chore to watch.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Just finished watching The Flying Ace (1926) on Criterion channel. This was enjoyable. It's a fun adventure, detective silent movie with an all black cast. The cast is likeable, it looks good, and there are some cool scenes. Definitely recommended. My rating is a

an all black cast in 1926? That's quite a rare find for a movie.

an all black cast in 1926? That's quite a rare find for a movie.
Yeah, it was pretty cool. It's currently streaming on the Criterion Channel and I would recommend everyone check it out.

Weak. The creature barely does anything at all. I like the kid thou

Yeah, it was pretty cool. It's currently streaming on the Criterion Channel and I would recommend everyone check it out.
i saw a clip of it on twitter recently and immediately added it to the watchlist lol.

Victim of The Night
Eyes of Fire (1983)
aka Cry Blue Sky

What a disappointment. This looked so interesting when I was drooling over the Folk Horror boxed set, and it has good reviews, too. Technically it reminded me of old (eastern) European TV productions and it has some of the worst acting I've seen in ages. I watched the longer DC and it felt such a chore to watch.
Wow. This movie had an extremely strong following on Corri.

Stormy Weather (1943) A musical with an all black cast. Not much of a plot, but absolutely a must see for the cast and the song and dance numbers. Some fantastic moments here. Currently streaming on Criterion Channel.

Bandidos (1967)

There's a fine (dubbed) copy on YouTube so I gave it a spin. It starts well, and especially the aftermath of the train robbery accompanied by the sad, beautiful song is a great scene. The film can't keep that level of quality as it goes on but despite the clunky script and forgettable characters, it manages to be above average spaghetti.
Glad you dug it! I liked the atypical dynamic between the leads and the various attempts at vengeance despite the co-lead getting his hands destroyed.*

It was an especially brutal and no-nonsense affair shot with great flair so it was exactly what I want out of a Spaghetti Western. The Arrow transfer is very nice too.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Did you know that the movie Hardball is a remake of a 1980 TV movie called The Comeback Kid starring John Ritter?