Bruno Ganz, Alexandra Maria Lara, Corinna Harfouch, Ulrich Matthes

219 points, 15 lists
Memories of Murder
Director

Bong Joon-ho, 2003

Starring

Song Kang-ho, Kim Sang-kyung, Kim Roi-ha, Song Jae-ho

Seen both, voted for none...

I'm a huge WW2 buff, and I remember loving Downfall, but it's been more than a decade since I last saw it. I should probably rewatch it.

Memories of Murder is very, very good, but it's probably #3 or #4 on my Bong ranking, so although I had it in mind, I didn't vote for it. Still, very worthy of being on the list.

Where are we?...

Seen: 57/74

My ballot:  

A system of cells interlinked
****! I should have known that, especially since Memories of Murder is on my list at #18.

Fantastic flick, and one everyone should see immediately if they haven't already.

Memories Of A Murder shows how quickly I through my list together. Definitely should have been on there. I love it, so much style and character. Best Bong.

Watched Downfall during the foreign countdown. Very good, that lead performance is so praised for a reason. Didn’t make my list.

Cool, Memories of Murder was my #16. It actually took me a while to warm up to Bong--I was mixed on Snowpiercer and The Host--but Parasite won me over so I was primed for MoM when I watched it last year.

Downfall is excellent as well, but didn't get a vote from me.

34. Kill Bill Vol. 2 (188 points) - enjoyable but not on my list
33. Up (192 points) - one of the best USA animated films but not on my list
32. Lost in Translation (195 points) - lovely film, just missed out on my list
31. The Pianist (199 points) - Shamefully not seen this yet
30. Hot Fuzz (202 points) - Good fun but was never going to make my list
29. Let the Right One In (208 points) - beautiful film, just missed out
28. Downfall (214 points) - Not seen it.
27. Memories of Murder (219 points) - Was #21 on my list. Bong's best film. Brutal and tense with a great ending. Fabulous film.

A bit of meaningless trivia, but the five films from the countdown with the highest Tomatometer percentage were:

• Finding Nemo - 99% (at #45)
  • Let the Right One In - 98% (at #30)
  • Up - 98% (at #34)
  • The Wrestler - 98% (at #55)
  • Werckmeister Harmonies - 98% (at #98, ha!)

Reminding everyone how the Tomatometer works; this doesn't mean they're the "best", but rather the ones that have had the most universally positive response from the critics (i.e. most people "liked" them).

Reply to Topic