The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Luuuuuuuuv poems, to be specific. Tell us we have pretty ears. That our avatars are the bestest avatars. Our replies should be angelic whispers through your ear buds when using text-to-speech apps. Tell us it's going to be OK when Gigli and Pearl Harbor tie for #19. Lie to us.

Poems are cool, but I prefer weird little sentences that sound like riddles.
Hmmm, let's see then. This applies to the lead characters from both films...

WARNING: spoilers below

They are not where they're used to be
They are entertainers
They are helped by a most unlikely person

Kill Bill Vol. 2 is one that I, like many here at MoFo, think is better than the first. I don't know if it was because we got more story or characterization, or if the dots were connected all the way. But it just amused me a lot, particularly in the scene where someone emerges from a premature burial and we see them crossing a road with dust billowing off of them, entering a diner and asking for a glass of water. One of my favorite scenes of any movie, ever.

Up is a movie that I, animation lover that I am, have yet to see. I know, I know. I just keep missing it. I'm going to just break down and buy the DVD. I know I'll love it. Neither of these made my list.

#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#18. The Royal Tenenbaums 35
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#20. Iron Man 83
#21 Finding Nemo 44
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Many years ago, I bought the DVDs of both Kill Bill: Vol. 1 and Kill Bill: Vol. 2, (at a garage sale), because I had heard so much about how good they were, and it piqued my curiosity. I didn't know anything about the movies, except that everyone was praising them. I watched Kill Bill: Vol. 1, but I hated it so much that I gave away the DVDs without watching the second movie.

The first time I watched Up, I was blown away by the scenes with Carl and Ellie at beginning of the movie, but I didn't care much for the rest of the movie. Then I watched it again for the Animated Movie Countdown, and I liked it more, but I still didn't love it. I have watched it several times since then, and it seems to get a little better each time, but it's still far from my favorite Pixar movie. But I still think the first few minutes is one of the best animated shorts that I've ever seen.

It also makes an amazing music video for several great country music love songs:

"I Cross My Heart" sung by George Strait:

"Remember When" sung by Alan Jackson:

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Interpretive. Dance.

And I will not say it again!!
Excellent idea. I might even volunteer to post videos to YouTube for the next countdown. Depending on the theme, of course.

Excellent idea. I might even volunteer to post videos to YouTube for the next countdown. Depending on the theme, of course.
New rule for countdowns: You must submit your ballot AND a 10-15 second interpretive dance representing your #1 film. If the person running the countdown is moved to tears by your performance, your film gets an extra 2 points.

Poems are cool, but I prefer weird little sentences that sound like riddles.
Ditto that. I can't wrap my head around the poems, I couldn't get them when Yoda did that either. Not a complaint, just saying, I liked the first hints that were gave at the start of this.

Seen Kill Bill 2 once. At least then it felt disappointing after the first one, and I haven't yet rewatched it. I haven't seen Up, a common trend among the Pixars.

Seen: 32/68

I put Volume I pretty high on my ballot, as it's the one I slighly prefer, Coma awakening and opening fight scene are my favorites of the two. Give both
, but only voted for the first

Other ratings, that are so old they're pretty irrelevant but it's worth for the time of watching
The Prestige -

The Incredibles-

The Royal Tanenbaums-

Hmmm, let's see then. This applies to the lead characters from both films...

WARNING: spoilers below

They are not where they're used to be
They are entertainers
They are helped by a most unlikely person
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Two Towers

Faildictions;
You Don’t Mess with the Zohan
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Royal Tenenbaums is possibly my favourite Wes Anderson but it didn't make my list. I agree with some other comments that Anderson's style has refined or distilled and become more Anderson-y over the years. I also think his films have become glossier which isn't always a good thing. I guess how much you like them depends on how much you enjoy his brand of quirk. Tenenbaums has just about the right amount for me.

Up and The Incredibles are both fine Pixar movies with some clever and/or moving parts. I don't love them though. I just think the human Pixar characters aren't as visually appealing as the fish of Finding Nemo or the Monsters of Monsters Inc.

I hated Kill Bill Vol. 1 so I've never seen Vol. 2.

As for the hint, I'm going to say:

Lost in Translation
One of the Lord of the Rings movies probably Two Towers

Sometimes I wonder why I like you.
You have 7 likes for this comment (1 of which is mine) I wonder how many of those people also wonder the same thing for themselves and how many just wonder the same?

Because he admitted he's only seen it once, thereby absolving those of us who love the film and insist it has depth of arguing with him! What am I gonna say...the thing he already said?
Exactly. And exactly why I included it in my reply. I'm not telling anyone it isn't the things they love and feel about it. Just that I didn't see or feel it the one time I saw it.

Hang on a minute.

Now, bring on the next 2 films from a terrible decade I can besmirch and/or ridicule... Or, more likely, just say I haven't seen.