Coronavirus

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, I think it depends on what taking a day off looks like for you. If you've got extras and it won't set you back, probably smart to do it preemptively.

Anecdotally, my wife and I both felt kinda "bleh" but weren't miserable (we got Moderna the first time). I've heard that one's generally the worst in a vacuum, even though individual reactions vary a lot.

We both got boosters (Pfizer) earlier today, so I guess I'll report back on that shortly.
Aren't they saying you shouldn't mix vaccines? Or did you guys switch from Moderna and get both Pfizer shots? We ended up with two Pfizer shots then a Pfizer booster six months later.

And neither of us had any real side effects from any, which was nice. I just felt a little unproductive on the day after the shot.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I signed up through the CVS website and, at the time, it was worded that you had to match the booster to the original shots. Then talking to the pharmacist that administered the shot, they said that you could mix n’ match. I’m guessing the website wasn’t up to speed with the current policy.

@cricket

I was wasted after the booster, after having no problems with the first two shots. Night sweats and fever. Glad I did it at the start of a 3-day weekend, I wouldn’t have wanted to deal with anybody in that state.

Aren't they saying you shouldn't mix vaccines? Or did you guys switch from Moderna and get both Pfizer shots? We ended up with two Pfizer shots then a Pfizer booster six months later.

And neither of us had any real side effects from any, which was nice. I just felt a little unproductive on the day after the shot.
I read the opposite, that mixing is supposed to be good. Either way I'm sure I read it was at least okay. Guy who administered it was aware.

I read the opposite, that mixing is supposed to be good. Either way I'm sure I read it was at least okay. Guy who administered it was aware.
Initially I heard you should get both (first & second) shots with the same vaccine, but later heard that getting the booster from a different company than you got your vaccine shots from could be good: (provide greater coverage).

As far as officially, I am not sure.

I don't know if there is an official consensus on whether it's better to get a different booster than your initial series or if it doesn't matter. The only thing definite I've heard is that those who got J&J should get a booster with Moderna or Pfizer.

Anecdotally, my best friend had Pfizer for all three shots and has not been sick despite living with two infected people. Her brother with the heart problems got Pfizer for the initial two and then a Moderna booster and he hasn't gotten sick either.

Initially I heard you should get both (first & second) shots with the same vaccine, but later heard that getting the booster from a different company than you got your vaccine shots from could be good: (provide greater coverage).
This is exactly what I heard, too.

Next day, feel kinda bleh but not awful. Just like last time the arm started hurting (kind of suddenly, even) a few hours after.

Felt a little warm/fuzzy later on. Woke up with a headache and a little dehydrated. I guess I feel a little weaker/more tired than usual, but that's about it. It's either better than the initial vaccine was, or at least no worse, so far, about 24 hours later.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Clearly I can't keep up with the changing recommendations!

You ready? You look ready.
J&J both times. The media has done that vaccine dirty because it is far more efficient than everyone is making it out to be, and the risks far less dangerous than reported. In fact, a study out of South Africa showed it was the most effective vaccine against Delta. That was enough evidence for me.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

A system of cells interlinked
I am still on my first dose of J & J. I need to get out and get boosted soon...

We both had headaches after our boosters but tbh for me that could well have been down to the Godawful radio station that was playing in reception where we had to while away one ninety-sixth of a day before being let out.

Duplicate Account (locked)
J&J both times. The media has done that vaccine dirty because it is far more efficient than everyone is making it out to be, and the risks far less dangerous than reported. In fact, a study out of South Africa showed it was the most effective vaccine against Delta. That was enough evidence for me.

Yeah people were freaking out about 6 people who died a period after they got it, and the reasons they died were unknown. I understand "safe better than sorry" yet there are risks worth taking since were all gonna die anyway.

Seriously.

ME: Please put your mask up.
STUDENT: Ok.
STUDENT: *puts mask up*
STUDENT: *puts finger under mask*
STUDENT: *wipes booger on my classroom carpet, two feet from where I'm sitting*

I am kind of resigned to getting it at this point, like many people, and just hoping the vaccine does its job in taking the edge off AND that I catch it without exposing my parents/family.

My local hospital released numbers in an e-mail last week, 82% of people hospitalized with it are unvaccinated, 90% of patients with it in the ICU are unvaccinated, and 90% of the people with it on ventilators are unvaccinated.

Also, our school nurse is a borderline COVID denier, and she told me that she thinks that "something in the vaccine" is what is making so many people test positive. When I asked what she thought about the rise in people in the hospital/ICU/on ventilators she was like "Well, yeah, but . . . " and then didn't finish her sentence. BUT WHAT?! BUT WHAT?!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Have my booster scheduled for Monday afternoon, and my wife had me add flu and pneumonia. I'm a little nervous because I don't remember ever getting those before and it seems like a lot. Will I be able to work Tuesday or should I just schedule a sick day? For those who don't know I drive a truck and do physical work.

Edit: it's the following Monday

I've heard that drinking a lot of water in the 12 to 24 hours before getting the vaccine helps lessen the side effects. It worked for me. I drank about four or five 16 oz. bottles of water the day before and the day of my shots, (Moderna), and I had almost no side effects at all.

You ready? You look ready.
When I asked what she thought about the rise in people in the hospital/ICU/on ventilators she was like "Well, yeah, but . . . " and then didn't finish her sentence. BUT WHAT?! BUT WHAT?!
"Well, yeah, but I’m an idiot."

That’s just an educated guess.

Stay safe!

Weird/surprising update:

I think I feel a bit worse the second day after. This is not at all what happened the last time, so yesterday I figured "oh, that's the worst of it, cool." Not so, I guess.

That said, it's hard to divorce my baseline reaction from secondary effects from things like dehydration. Big second to @gbgoodies talking about drinking lots of water (some Gatorade wouldn't be terrible either), both preemptively and afterwards. I did that the first time, and even a little this time, and I still think I didn't do enough. The response has lessened as I've made a point to drink things. Seems worst in the morning/middle of the night when I can't.

My sister's school district sent them all an e-mail being like "Hey, so we are going to test representative samples from every school. If a school has more than 5% positivity, that school will go virtual".

So they tested about 100 kids from each school.

Then they posted the results.

Every school was over 5%, with my sister's school being at 7.5%.

Then the county sent an e-mail being like "So remember how we said we'd go virtual if you were over 5%? Yeah, we are . . . . just not going to do that. See you Monday!".

LOL.

My co-worker is going on a cruise next week. He explained to us that he must test negative in order to board. But because he's vaccinated he doesn't have to get tested when he returns. And he's the guy that, when he wears a mask, it's on his chin.
So the ship returns Thursday, he'll be at work Friday. People are just making great decisions left and right.

ps--- he has a chronic cough, year round. So if he is sick none of us will know the difference. Wheeeeeeeee!

My co-worker is going on a cruise next week. He explained to us that he must test negative in order to board. But because he's vaccinated he doesn't have to get tested when he returns. And he's the guy that, when he wears a mask, it's on his chin.
So the ship returns Thursday, he'll be at work Friday. People are just making great decisions left and right.

ps--- he has a chronic cough, year round. So if he is sick none of us will know the difference. Wheeeeeeeee!
But you could be vaccinated, be sick, and not know it. This guy is at least vaccinated. Do you want people to stop living their lives?