Requiem for a Dream
The Royal Tenenbaums
Half and half for you two. Great job!

Downfall and The Departed
Nothing for you

Hint breakdown...

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

You should've paid attention to him (both films deal with some sort of neglect, Bob Parr with IncrediBoy)
You should've been with them (and Royal with his three children)
Things would be different now (how things would've been...)
If you had fulfilled what he dreamt (...if Bob would've listened to IncrediBoy/Syndrome?)

Go ahead and do the math (reference to the three Tenenbaum kids skills... Chas with math...)
Why did you had the nerve
Nobody could've written this (Margot with writing)
He could've nailed the serve (Richie with tennis)

Don't be so fast with things (reference to the Incredibles superpowers... Dash is fast)
Don't disappear again (Violet disappears)
Just be strong and flexible (Bob and Helen are strong and elastic)
And don't burn bridges then (Jack-Jack sets himself on fire)

The Incredibles is quite a fun adventure that I did rewatch in prep for this but it ended up being in contention for a spot on my ballot very briefly. Still haven't gotten around to The Royal Tenenbaums, one day I hope.

Seen: 41/66 (Own: 30/66)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
34. X-Men 2 (2003)
33. Napoleon Dynamite (2004)

*down to just the one fillum left on the subs bench now after todays set

Seen both, voted for none...

The Incredibles is a lot of fun, but as far as I'm concerned, I think it suffers from a bit of fatigue for seeing it so many times with my nephews.

The Royal Tenenbaums is one of three Wes Anderson films I've seen and although I remember liking it, it's been pretty much 20 years since I saw it and I barely remember it. Overall, I've never felt drawn to Anderson's aesthetics, but I might give this a rewatch one of these days. Who knows.

This is it...

Seen: 49/66

My ballot:  

The Incredibles was I think one of my last cuts but I only kept one Pixar on my list. Brad Bird was one of the more entertaining Q&As I've been to--someone asked him to do Edna Mode and he went right into it without missing a beat.

I think I said before that The Royal Tenenbaums is about where Wes Anderson loses me, but I should probably watch it again sometime to see if that's still the case.

By the way, Wes Anderson adds a third notch on his belt. Will The Darjeeling Limited make it to complete his ace? 4 for 4?

First, Bowie touches everyone's heart.
Agreed.

Second, Bowie alone makes it an excellent movie.
Eh . . . .

You can't make statement (bolded) and leave us hanging on it.
MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR Prestige SPOILERS
WARNING: spoilers below
I immediately realized that Bale was playing two roles. And at first I thought it was a weird Easter egg (like Depp playing the Priest in Once Upon a Time in Mexico). Then I was like "No, this is a major supporting character so why . . . ?". I assumed it was just the reality of the movie where no one noticed they were the same person. But then that was part of the plot and I was like "But . . . they look like the same person."

I don't know. I think that one element and the way it stayed at the front of my mind disrupted the intended flow of how I was supposed to experience the story.

The more I think about it, the more I think The Prestige is Nolan's best film.

It has all the twisty logic puzzle qualities we associate (either positively or negatively) with the man, but of the type where each twist has a major emotional component that isn't always present in his other films. The reveals hit twice as hard not just because of the "I can't believe I didn't notice that" quality, but because of the implications for the characters each of them carry. "Wow, I missed that! And ohhhh, wait, doesn't that mean he...?"

It is, in a sense, the Right Way to do that kind of twisty story. It's stayed with me more than his other films, and I find it rewards repeat viewings more than most of them, too. Even Memento feels kind of shallow in comparison: it's a "purer" film, but also one that you really only need to watch twice.

My wife read the book The Prestige is based on and she tells me it's not as good and kinda nothing like the movie. Nolan seems to have sort of borrowed the general themes of rivalry and obsession and gone off on his own with them, which I found surprising and interesting.

Anyway, there are a few films I'd show people to convince them that Nolan is more than capable of doing good character work with genuine emotional heft, and this would probably be the first.

Hadn't seen either one.

Since we're close to the final third, let's look at an update to my list so far. Percentages refer to the odds they show up on the list itself:

1. 100 percent
2. 100 percent
3. 90 percent
4. 10 percent (feel like this one's chances are gone)
5. 70 percent
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
7. 10 percent
8. 40 percent
9. Million Dollar Baby
10. 10 percent (and it's a shame, really)
11. Spider-Man 2
12. 10 percent
13. Brokeback Mountain
14. Finding Nemo
15. 60 percent
16. 100 percent
17. 30 percent
18. 0 percent
19. 50 percent
20. 10 percent
21. Chicago (Just missed the cut)
22. The Wrestler
23. 0 percent (Wonder if I should have made this my #25.)
24. 0 percent
25. Gladiator

A system of cells interlinked
Both films were on my list, with The Incredibles coming in at #25 and The Royal Tenenbaums sitting at #22.

The Royal Tenenbaums is the Anderson I return to the most, but I do like almost all of his other films. The Incredibles is what its name says it is...

Reply to Topic