Documentaries

Tools    

Strip the City (2012- ).
This is a great one... I've seen the first season. Don't think they ever finished it. Takes you in all kind of modern and historical cities.
This sounds real good. Will check it out tonight.

This one is a Turkish one (about cats) - it takes place in Istanbul - the kingdom of all cats

It is called Kedi ( I think it is the plural form for cat, if I am not mistaking).
Kedi (2016)

This one is a Turkish one (about cats) - it takes place in Istanbul - the kingdom of all cats
I loved this documentary as I love cats. Very disturbing how nobody gets the cats of Istanbul spayed/neutered. My husband was there & was appalled by the number of cats & kittens.

I loved this documentary as I love cats. Very disturbing how nobody gets the cats of Istanbul spayed/neutered. My husband was there & was appalled by the number of cats & kittens.
I guess being a port city there and many ships near the shore and a lot of canals and boats - and someone has to take care of the rats and mice And people just feed them.
I remember how funny it was (in this documentary) when a cat was eating from a shop, then later she went to someone else (who was also feeding her), crawled up to the first floor and entered in her living room and just laying there for a couple of hours.
They say cats can feel if you are sick or something hurts and just lay down by your side and suck out the "negative energy" and make people feel better.

I guess being a port city there and many ships near the shore and a lot of canals and boats - and someone has to take care of the rats and mice And people just feed them.
Thankfully, here in America at least some people now realize that one doesn’t #feedtobreed. If one owns a cat then that cat is yours to look after. If you feed it, fix it.

Agree on that.... used to live in a different city for about 9 years and it was the same with stray dogs.... they were so many that some were even attacked on the streets.
I was renting an apartment and one night came home from work and I've been attacked by this huge mongrel something like a crossbreed between a wolf and a regular dog, I could see only his teeth and his shining eyes. Didn't run coz I knew it will just rip off my pants lol , but he barely let me get inside the house.
Next day in the morning had to leave for work and there was this big trash bin where people were throwing their garbage .... and he was just sitting there watching at me with mean eyes. So I tried to make friends with him and gave him 2 slices of ham...., next morning the same and eventually he just left me alone
Later our president decided to catch all the stray dogs and just euthanize them all..... but people went in the streets started to make noise against the law.
Even the famous Brigitte Bardot ( a huge fighter for all kind of animals) came here and started to convince our president to withdraw the law.... which he eventually did.
But they are less now or you can't see them anymore since they started to sterilize them.

Thankfully, here in America at least some people now realize that one doesn’t #feedtobreed. If one owns a cat then that cat is yours to look after. If you feed it, fix it.

Later our president decided to catch all the stray dogs and just euthanize them all..... but people went in the streets started to make noise against the law.
Even the famous Brigitte Bardot ( a huge fighter for all kind of animals) came here and started to convince our president to withdraw the law.... which he eventually did.
But they are less now or you can't see them anymore since they started to sterilize them.
Yikes. Where do you live if you don’t mind me asking?

I hope this is not a tricky question
It was a particular case.... I was in Bucharest (our capital) that time .... only there it was well known that people were feeding the dogs.
And it was for Bucharest only when our president (way back then) decided to euthanize them all.
But if you put it that way Istanbul is one of Turkey's main cities right, so they could be anywhere.....
Bucharest now it is a pretty clean and organized city. They had only this dog problem. Now everything is fine I think.
I was talking with someone these days and she was saying to me that they are trying to do the same with people (with us) because actually this new covid vaccine is for sterilizing people lol
They just realized people are spreading all over the world.... in every 10 years the population rises with a billion..... and there are less resources than people.....
They saw through satellites and after they finished the Google Maps that all those Amazonian forests were cut and they started to develop agriculture instead of those forests....
Because people have to have all kind of "palm olive" soaps in their bathroom and they killed the forests in South America.
Now the sea level is increasing and they have to do something .....
So you see all these people staying in lines like sheep to get the magic vaccine....
Who knows maybe there will be no babies lol At least for a while ....

Just joking

Yikes. Where do you live if you don’t mind me asking?

Yes Bucharest is our capital and Budapest is the capital of Hungary(our western neighbors). I've been there many times...... nice place to have a cup of coffee on the Danube... Also speak Hungarian because my grandmother was Hungarian... since I live in Transylvania now. Transylvania used to be part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and later they gave it back to Romania. So here in Transylvania (inside the Carpathian Arch) there are many Hungarian speakers as well.

I always mix up Bucharest & Budapest. Bucharest is Romania?

Yes Bucharest is our capital and Budapest is the capital of Hungary(our western neighbors). I've been there many times...... nice place to have a cup of coffee on the Danube... Also speak Hungarian because my grandmother was Hungarian... since I live in Transylvania now. Transylvania used to be part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and later they gave it back to Romania. So here in Transylvania (inside the Carpathian Arch) there are many Hungarian speakers as well.
When I lived in NYC a million years ago a very close friend - Andrea - was from Bucharest. She was very very nice. We lost touch though, unfortunately.

I also have a friend who lives in Chicago, met him when he came home a few days ago..... didn't see him in 12 years.
Was nice talking to him again.
It's a bad time for traveling I guess since they oblige you to vaccinate in some cases....

This is one of the best documentaries I've seen lately. Made by CNN, with Stanley Tucci, traveling all over Italy meeting and eating with all sort of famous cooks and people talking about their food and lifestyle.
Questo documentario è terribilmente fantastico..... He just likes using this phrase : E terribile !
Great documentary !

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5807330/
TREAD (2020)

Mesmerizing and shocking documentary about a guy in a small town who takes revenge on the good ole boy town council who wronged him. He built a fortified super dozer and knocked down 13 of the town's buildings in 2004.

It was an international story which quickly became eclipsed in the news by the death of Ronald Reagan.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5807330/
TREAD (2020)

Mesmerizing and shocking documentary about a guy in a small town who takes revenge on the good ole boy town council who wronged him. He built a fortified super dozer and knocked down 13 of the town's buildings in 2004.

It was an international story which quickly became eclipsed in the news by the death of Ronald Reagan.
Sounds like a real nutcase.

Hemingway (2021)

This three part documentary series, written by Geoffrey C. Ward, and directed by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick is an in depth overview of Hemingway’s life and novels from his youth in suburban Chicago to his death in Ketchum, Idaho in 1961.

I grew up aware of Hemingway, as I was Faulkner and J.D. Salinger. Hemingway died when I was 17. Although not ever
having read any of his novels, even in college, I did go to the Pittsburgh premier of The Old Man and the Sea (1958) which had much of his prose included as dialogue or narrative. He was arguably the chief novelist of the 20th Century, writing in a unique lean and descriptive manor that was to influence scores of writers then and since.

It is impressive the volume of still photographs that the producers were able to utilize. Hemingway must have been one of the most photographed writers of his day, and the many home pictures gave insight into his personality. His first hand coverage of wars, uprisings, as well as the news coverage of his manly pursuits: hunting, fishing, love life, marriages, drinking, hell raising, always were well featured in newspapers and magazines.

Apart from plentiful gossipy accounts, I didn’t know much about Hemingway. I’d seen his home in Key West, although he only lived there for about 13 years, residing a big part of his life in Cuba. To say that he was larger than life is a gross understatement. Yet he had his demons (as do many of us), and they were responsible for driving his life and his writing. We discover that he had multiple accidents and repeated concussions, along with an apparent hereditary hemochromatosis which contributed to his mental and physical deterioration. He also was likely an alcoholic, and used drugs of all varieties for various maladies and for depression. He had romanced suicide over the course of his life, and finally accomplished it at home.

The most impressive thing about this documentary, outside of the fascinating subject matter, is the first rate editing, mostly by Erik Ewers. The voices of Hemingway, his wives, and important figures in his life were ably performed by Jeff Daniels, Mary-Louise Parker, Meryl Streep, Keri Russell and others. The narration was well handled by Peter Coyote. Extensive interviews were featured with Patrick Hemingway, Edna O’Brien, Tobias Wolff, to name a few. There was a slight bit of tsk-tsking over Hemingway’s un-PC behavior, but in the main the interviewers made excellent first hand observations and well thought out opinions.

If you’ve ever wondered about Ernest Hemingway, this documentary will give you a lot of answers.

Doc’s rating: 9/10