Subtitles or Dubbing? - A POLL

Tools    

Which do you prefer? Subtitles or Dubbing?
100.00%
30 votes
Subtitles
0%
0 votes
Dubbing
30 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Account terminated on request
Yes, you could say that and you wouldn't be wrong. But I don't refuse to eat new foods that contain ingredients that I despise. Why? Because there could always be an exception and because tastes and preferences change over time. I loved mushrooms when I was a child, but I don't like mushrooms now. Except on pizza. They're delicious on pizza.
That is quite a statement. You would actually pay money and order a dish containing an ingredient you despise, "just in case".?
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Seriously, Vicky, you think it's "ignorant" that you don't want a food item that contains X when you LOATHE X?

I'm supposed to try, buy, go see, every subtitled film now just because I might no longer loathe it?

That's not ignorance, willful or otherwise. My actions are a preference driven decision making.

I teach my kids to try things they know they hate on occasion to verify. For instance, I try Moxie once every 10 years to see if that's still the case. But I'm not going to order any dish made with the stuff "just in case".

And I'm certainly not going to go try it every time I see it in the store.

That is quite a statement. You would actually pay money and order a dish containing an ingredient you despise, "just in case".?
This is another false analogy. Please give more thought to your responses before actually clicking the reply button.

In your initial post, you said "there are many times when I see a series or movie on Netflix and ... discover that it's a foreign piece." In this situation, you are not really paying money for the series or movie. You didn't really order it. You're paying for the service of Netflix but not for the series or movie itself.

Netflix is a like a movie and TV buffet. So a better comparison would be to ask whether I would eat a dish that contains an ingredient I despise if I came across it at a buffet. And, yes, if it otherwise looked appetizing I absolutely would eat a food at a buffet that contained an ingredient I despise.

This is another false analogy. Please give more thought to your responses before actually clicking the reply button.

In your initial post, you said "there are many times when I see a series or movie on Netflix and ... discover that it's a foreign piece." In this situation, you are not really paying money for the series or movie. You didn't really order it. You're paying for the service of Netflix but not for the series or movie itself.

Netflix is a like a movie and TV buffet. So a better comparison would be to ask whether I would eat a dish that contains an ingredient I despise if I came across it at a buffet. And, yes, if it otherwise looked appetizing I absolutely would eat a food at a buffet that contained an ingredient I despise.
No false analogy there at all. Time is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU OWN. Period, end of story. I'm not going to spend it on something I hate.

How you see a false analogy here really makes me wonder. Please think before you rush off to the reply button.

There's absolutely nothing "ignorant" about avoiding something you dislike.

Nothing.

Time is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU OWN. Period, end of story. I'm not going to spend it on something I hate.
But you'll spending it arguing with strangers on the internet.

But you'll spending it arguing with strangers on the internet.
(..............and...........)?

THAT'S how you respond when you lose an argument?

I give up.

I'm out.

I'm trying not to join this argument (I prefer subtitles, btw) but just want to say my opinion about this food analogy.

Apply my garlic question that I gave Vicky to yourself. Could I call you ignorant if you loathed garlic and as a result refused food with garlic in it.

Or even more apropos: If you ordered a food and after a few bites liked it but THEN hit the part of it with garlic, would you finish the entire thing?
The way I see it is that subtitles (and dubbing) are not the equivalent of food but the way it's served (the film itself is the food here). In other words, a more proper analogy for you would be: could you call someone ignorant if he refuses to eat from patterned plates because he dislikes them and vastly prefers white ones?

The way I see it is that subtitles (and dubbing) are not the equivalent of food but the way it's served (the film itself is the food here). In other words, a more proper analogy for you would be: could you call someone ignorant if he refuses to eat from patterned plates because he dislikes them and vastly prefers white ones?
I see where you're going with that, but I'd say utensils would be a more fitting comparison than the color of plates since subtitles do make it more difficult to consume film.

So in other words an English language film is like a fork. I'm very much accustomed to using a fork. I don't have to put much focus on eating with a fork. It's just second nature.

Whereas a foreign language film is more like chopsticks. I can eat with them, but it's not something I'm used to doing so it takes a lot more effort and focus to eat a meal with chopsticks than it does to eat it with a fork. Just like it takes more effort and focus to watch a foreign movie with subtitles than one that's spoken in English.

I see where you're going with that, but I'd say utensils would be a more fitting comparison than the color of plates since subtitles do make it more difficult to consume film.

So in other words an English language film is like a fork. I'm very much accustomed to using a fork. I don't have to put much focus on eating with a fork. It's just second nature.

Whereas a foreign language film is more like chopsticks. I can eat with them, but it's not something I'm used to doing so it takes a lot more effort and focus to eat a meal with chopsticks than it does to eat it with a fork. Just like it takes more effort and focus to watch a foreign movie with subtitles than one that's spoken in English.
I was about to use fork and spoon originally but went with the sillier choice. In any case, I'd say chopsticks are not a good analogy because people here (hopefully) can read but at least I've never used chopsticks (I can only imagine the food falling on my lap and table if I'd suddenly have to - obviously, I'd still eat if the food was good). In other words, using a skill you already have (reading) in a "new" situation should be considerably easier than learning completely new fine motor skills.

From subtitles to food? I had lentils last night! I can stink bomb this thread right now!

Subtitles all the way, dubbing is just horrible. Had to watch a few Japanese Anime movies in English, and somehow doesn't look natural. But in dubbing a lot of the actors' dialogue delivery and natural tone is lost. Well not a lot but all of it. Although a Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan flick I can get with the dubbing. Coz the movies are Kraft cheese to begin with. So the "acting" is just secondary.

Thank goodness for the button that allows one to unsubscribe from a thread. Was gonna count how many times the word “ignorant” was used, but decided I’m not that interested.