What do you guys honestly think of Jared Leto's role as The Joker?

Tools    

That is, if you saw Suicide Squad.

Just want to know what you guys think.

Havent seen it, but he was going onstage after The Beatles. Since I havent heard much buzz about it, I at least know its not as good as.

I seen it last week... he was decent his laugh kind of annoy me a little bit and indeed I had rewatch The Dark Knight 3 or 4 days ago and Heath Ledger performance is just too awesome in every sense of the term. You simply cannot edge Ledger's performance as The Joker. so, Ledger >>>>>>>>> Leto

My main problem with the new Joker, and I'm sure many of you may agree, wasn't anything to do with Leto's performance. In fact, it was a lack of seeing his performance that bothered me. I wasn't able to properly judge his performance because I barely saw any of it. I think we all need to see more footage of Jared Leto as The Joker in order to properly critique it. Until then, we're all working off of brief snippets that are placed out of order and out of context.

I didnt like the look of him from the trailer (have not seen the movie)

however its a bit unfair to compare leto and ledger simply cos dark knight was much more of a darker drama/thriller-ish movie wheres as suicide squad is more of a action/comedy-ish teen movie.

The interesting thing would be to compare each screen version of the Joker (wouldn't be fair to do the animated ones I don't think). They're all a different tone so it wouldn't even be wrong to stick Cesar Romero in there – apart from the obvious 'tache he looked and sounded great.

Here's an interesting theory on Jared Leto's Joker - basically the 3 movie Jokers (Romero, Nicholson & Ledger) coincide with the Jokers of the 3 major comic book ages.
Which Joker is Leto's?

Part 1:

Part 2:

For those who don't want to watch the videos... answer...
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
According to the theory in these videos, Leto's Joker is the same Joker as Jack Nicholson's Joker, which is the Golden Age (original) "master criminal" Joker.

Here's an interesting theory on Jared Leto's Joker - basically the 3 movie Jokers (Romero, Nicholson & Ledger) coincide with the Jokers of the 3 major comic book ages.
That was very enlightening and they make a good case.

WARNING: spoilers below
I knew about the parallel world idea in The Flash but not that it had been developed as a way round certain continuity issues in the DC universe.

The Golden Age Joker certainly seems to be a psychopath on top of being a master criminal but that isn't dwelt on particularly, with the Bronze Age one being labelled as the psychotic obsessed with Batman.

I wonder whether they could separate the Modern Age Joker from the Bronze, or are they basically the same?

I always felt that the Bronze Age Joker (who committed murder) was a return to his roots in the Golden Age when he was also a murderer.

The departure (due to the comic book hearings in the 50's, comics code and all that) was the Silver Age Joker; when he became only a thief and a prankster as reflected by the Cesar Romero version. Toning him down was a response that ran throughout all mainstream comic books with many characters & stories to try to remove them from the controversy & accusations made about them.

The videos make a good case that the Golden Age Joker was more of a mob boss (in addition to being a killer) while the Bronze Age version was far more of a lone psycho & serial killer. But I remember occasions in the Bronze & Modern ages where the Joker had a gang, or at least henchmen. Even Ledger's Joker (who they say represents the Bronze Joker) had a gang in the movie - which makes him a crime boss just like Nicholson's Joker. Sure, Ledger's gang was acquired through hostile take-overs and intimidation, but that would probably apply to any of the Joker's gangs (except maybe the Silver Aged ones that didn't fear him killing them.)

So the theory has some flaws. And yes, I'd say the Bronze Age & Modern Age Joker are basically the same - he's just become progressively more psychotic, vicious and violent. And I think that's because the comic creators feel they always have to come up with something more shocking & outrageous for him to do.

Welcome to the human race...
My main problem with the new Joker, and I'm sure many of you may agree, wasn't anything to do with Leto's performance. In fact, it was a lack of seeing his performance that bothered me. I wasn't able to properly judge his performance because I barely saw any of it. I think we all need to see more footage of Jared Leto as The Joker in order to properly critique it. Until then, we're all working off of brief snippets that are placed out of order and out of context.
If what we saw of him is what the powers that be though was worth including in their finished film, I can't imagine the rest of it being much better. Besides, it's not how much time you get so much as what you do in the time you get. Anthony Hopkins won an Oscar on the basis of a role with twenty minutes of screen-time, after all.

I didnt like the look of him from the trailer (have not seen the movie)

however its a bit unfair to compare leto and ledger simply cos dark knight was much more of a darker drama/thriller-ish movie wheres as suicide squad is more of a action/comedy-ish teen movie.
Yeah, that's why I haven't tried to compare him against any previous versions of the Joker because that's just unfair. That being said, taken on his own he still sucks.

I thought he did pretty good with the limited screentime he had and was much better than expected, but he was definitely underdeveloped which isn't his fault. Didn't he even recently express being upset over a great deal of material being removed from the final cut?

Well since his character was cut in editing it tells you that A He was never a major factor story wise in the movie anyways or Leto is not Ben Afflecks vision of who he will be when he takes over as batman. I think he bed leto could not decided too make this his own joker and stole from all sources and it shows he just could not pick a joker too mock or make his own.

I thought he did pretty good with the limited screentime he had and was much better than expected, but he was definitely underdeveloped which isn't his fault. Didn't he even recently express being upset over a great deal of material being removed from the final cut?
Yeah, he felt "manipulated". He was upset that they removed a lot of the good scenes he was in, and that's why he felt that way.

I honestly loved his portrayal of the Joker. I'm excited to see what else he does with it.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I loved it. It was great to see yet another approach to the famous villain.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "