thegoldenfatty's movie reviews.

→ in
Tools    

I am going to be reviewing Pete's Dragon.

The film starts with a little boy who is reading a book with Elliot in the title. The mother and father play the roles as the quintessential, "Boy, aren't we cool parents? Look at how cool we are. We're talking to a kid," kind of people. I wanted to wipe that smug grin from their faces. It is a face that is in so many movies when people talk to kids. It really annoys me. I don't know if anyone notices this in films. People are directed to act a certain "cool" way around children. Luckily, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Robert Redford were good with the kids. More real, and normal. You can tell that Bryce is a mother in the scenes. She's very maternal.

Anyways, something happens to the parents, and Pete escapes in the forest where he is met by a dragon he names Elliot. In all honesty, it creeps me out when Elliot is behind the trees in the poster. The one where you can't see him clearly. It creeps me out also when Elliot first meets Pete. He just kind of saunters over in the shadows where you can't see him clearly.

But when I do see him finally, I'm not afraid any more. Pete asks Elliot saying, "Are you gonna eat me?" Elliot responds by gently taking Pete into his massive paws and flies off. And so the adventure begins.

We are now six or seven years later. Bryce and her husband find Pete in the forest. They take him home. The kid does so many head tilts during the film when he's interested in something, you wonder if he was the one that put on a clown suit- you know! The one that killed his big sister with a big butcher knife.

The dragon is pretty spectacular looking in the film. It sticks pretty close to the design of the original, although there are a few noticeable differences.

The film is slow. That's what I thought. And that's what my niece thought. It's good, but not great.

I give it two shakes of a dragons tail, along with a slight whiff of lamb breath.

I was curious as to whether or not you've seen the original.
I have. The dragon did look a little like it, with its nose and mouth. I saw it a while ago, but I have seen it several times when I was a kid. But it has been a while.