Lets Talk Football

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Seems a bit sad that Southampton are being asset-stripped and it looks like they won't have any of their star players left (as well as their manager, natch) come next season.

I thought they might cling on to Lambert purely due to his age but it looks like he's off to Liverpool where a fat paycheque and some cup matches await. Even if Suarez leaves he's still not going to be first choice or even Sturridge's regular partner.

The only way I could really see Southampton keeping their players was that Lambert or Shaw went first and, with the reported £25,-£30m, they'd be able to turn down other offers. Then you have the problem of unsettled players, but I think most of the rest would play for the club. Of course, this way they can make an extra £50m+.

If they lose Lambert, Lallana and Shaw, then Ramirez and Rodriguez have to step up next season. Plus, Ward-Prowse will, probably, get his chance to shine and, as I've said before, I think he's quality. However, if they really get gutted and lose Lovren, Schneiderlin and/or Wanyama then the manager and players he brings in could affect their Premier League status in the coming seasons.

Anyone know if Osvaldo is leaving? Judging by his season, here and in Italy, he won't be much of a miss, but they're going to take a bit hit on what they paid.

Saw Schneiderlin and Rodriguez linked with Arsenal a few days ago and if they go plus the likely Lallana and Shaw, other first teamers are going to get restless as is any prospective new manager.

Yeah, I mentioned Schneiderlin being linked with Arsenal on the previous page. £12m, too.

I don't really see Rodriguez at Arsenal, do you?

I also see Jeff Astle has been confirmed to've died from Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. (yes, I copy/pasted that. ) It's a great shame.

Dunno if they'll ever prove that heading a ball was the cause but it's something to think about.

I can remember heading those old leather footballs - They were basically cannonballs, especially if overinflated.

Well, the damage comes from repeated head injuries and, I think they're called, sub concussions. Unless he had a hobby hitting his head with a hammer, it's difficult to see where else it could come from.

Agreed with the old footballs. My Granddad had one when I was really small and I can remember it being a sodden lump. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to head it, especially if it was coming with any pace on it.

So, my cousin flew off to Miami yesterday en route to Brazil for the World Cup with a couple of mates.

He's got tickets for 4 matches but is a bit disappointed in how the allocation turned out - When they bought them, the tickets were for 'Group 2, match 3' etc so they didn't know which games they were actually going to see, and they ended up not getting any glamour ties.

For instance, they got tickets for Uruguay/Costa Rica, the group containing England and Italy. They also got Japan/Ivory Coast and, I think, Croatia/Cameroon.

The final ticket they bought was for a quarter final so it could be anyone. Well, maybe not Australia.

Lallana is likely to be our biggest loss, apparently his missus is die hard Saint so fingers crossed. Shaw, bad career move to leave this early. I wouldn't be adverse to Osvaldo having another run out, for the money, he's got talent and don't see Gallagher leading the line next season. Can't begrudge Lambert's move but is gutting, even if spent most season saying he's lost it a bit (and then he scores a blinder tonight)

If the board have any sense, which they seem to be showing now - no business will be done before World Cup or before we have a manager. Disgusting how the papers have sold our squad! Seen almost everyone but Davis + JWP linked elsewhere. Question is, is Woy suggesting if they want to be in the squad, they need to be playing CL?

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
You probably don't know but yea...My club,Red Star Belgrade,champion of Europe and World in 1991,26 times champion of country,12 doubles...We got banned from Europe for next season...This is huge blow because we are in same situation as Rangers,UCL was our only chance because we won Serbian league this year and we had chance to win a lot of money but well,UEFA never gave a ****...if you cant pay 5000000000000000000000e you are ****ed...We still don't have private clubs(yea politicians are morons) so 3 things will happen in next few months:Country will allow clubs to be privatized,that would be wonderful,fantastic.Second,country will give some money to its greatest sport brand.3 and final we will get relegated to lowest Serbian league and go back to the top.If we get relegated we still need to be privatized because as longs as country owns clubs nothing good will happen...We will always stay with our club,we always did! I don't know is this interesting to anyone but it is a football thing and Red Star was champion of Europe and World in 1991 so some of you will remember,most titles in Serbia.I guess this is what you get when you have idiots,morons...in your club + Uefa mafiosi...

(This is not final.)

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Eh,a lot of things will happen,maybe I was a bit harsh on UEFA but...This is their logic,they banned us from UCL because we are in debt,so they take our biggest source of money away because they want us to give some money?Also,why they didn't ban City or PSG?They have new debt,they had minus this season...They ban us for old dept...Some really stupid moves like that...

Just in case anyone missed it, Barcelona have replaced Fabregas with Ivan Rakitic.
Rakitic has the potential to develop into a real gem, his Barcelona teammates will bring the best out of him. A very solid pickup.

I've not seen much of him, he's looked good and, if he's close to his reputation, it looks like a good bit of business. Will he fit in better than fabregas? I know he played quite a lot, and well, but he never looked or felt like a first team player. It was, "can we fit in him" rather than they had a place for him.

Has Ander Herrera passed a medical? I've seen that he has, but only in the papers. Nothing confirmed.

Unregistered User
Not seen much from Rakitic so cant really comment on him, although wasnt particulary impressive in WC. Herrera deal still to be wrapped up, how long does a medical take??!! Seems a decent player from what ive watched of him.

I've not seen much of him, he's looked good and, if he's close to his reputation, it looks like a good bit of business. Will he fit in better than fabregas? I know he played quite a lot, and well, but he never looked or felt like a first team player. It was, "can we fit in him" rather than they had a place for him.

Has Ander Herrera passed a medical? I've seen that he has, but only in the papers. Nothing confirmed.

Sky Sports are saying that Gomis has agreed a move to Swansea on a free transfer and a 4 year deal. If true, do you think this strengthens the rumours of Michu and/or Bony making a move? I've seen Michi for £12m, but I can't remember to where and Bony to Arsenal for £20m. Bony and Gomis up front would be a powerhouse.