Ironic Observations about tv shows, past and present

Tools    

I wonder if you sometimes watch a show that you like. but find little items and/or missteps that strike you as unlikely, questionable, implausible and silly. This thread is meant to be all in fun, and for me it's usually something I 've seen in treasured favorite old shows that I've watched so often, that I' ll notice something like a character wearing two different outfits in the same scene ( the original beloved Star Trek abounds in these)

Well, I welcome you to write in and join the fun - and here's a few of my own observations:

I've been watching repeats of old Murder She Wrote episodes; and here's a few resulting pithy insights:
1- Why in the world does anyone live in Cabot Cove? It looks like a cosy little New England town, but there seems to be a murder there every week. In fact, after a few years run, I' m surprised this tiny hamlet has any population left at all.

2- Why is JB Fletcher so darn popular- she seems to know and be best friends with every son of a nephew, old school chum, grocery clerk who moved to Altoona, etc et al from coast to coast. Is there anyone in America who's about to be accused of a murder they didn't commit that she doesn't know????

3- Not a question but an observation. You can binge watch Law And Order, but you can't binge watch Murder She Wrote.

4 - And speaking of Law and Order, SUV - was there anyone who looks more unlikely to be Captain to head this hard biiten, tough skinned NYC squad than Dann Florek? He looks more like a head librarian than a cop jmho- or maybe the assistant clerk to your tax preparer. And what's with that extra 'N' Dann? Lol

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've been watching repeats of old Murder She Wrote episodes; and here's a few resulting pithy insights:
1- Why in the world does anyone live in Cabot Cove? It looks like a cosy little New England town, but there seems to be a murder there every week. In fact, after a few years run, I' m surprised this tiny hamlet has any population left at all.
I haven't seen many episodes of "Murder She Wrote", but I always wondered why nobody suspected that Jessica Fletcher was the murderer. She's a writer, not a cop, detective, etc., so why is she smack dab in the middle of all those murder cases? It just seems natural to suspect that she might be involved.

I've been watching a lot of "Perry Mason" recently, and it made me wonder, if Perry Mason wins every case, is it the police that are so incompetent that they keep arresting the wrong person, or is it the District Attorney who is so incompetent that he can't win even a single case? Somebody should have been fired a long time ago.

One of my favorite TV shows is "The Big Bang Theory", but there's one specific line in one specific episode of TBBT that annoys me every time I see it because I can't believe the writers missed such an obvious line.

In the episode "The Cooper-Nowitzki Theorem", (Season 2, Episode 6), there's a scene where Leslie Winkle calls Sheldon "dumba$$", and he's trying to think of a comeback line to her. He eventually says, "You're a mean person.".

The right comeback line would have been for him to use Captain Kirk's line from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home when the cabbie called Kirk a dumba$$. Sheldon is a Star Trek expert. He should have immediately thought of that comeback line.

You're right, gbgoodies. He should have thought of that line.

The thing that always strikes me as funny about Jessica Fletcher is she frequently confronts the murderer alone! I mean, he/she has already killed one person. Why wouldn't he/she kill another to keep it secret? Jessica doesn't seem like the type to carry a gun.

Lol @average joe. Forgot about that; so true. Also, why did this woman never learn to drive? She sprints round town on that bicycle like a teenager , but she looks more to be in the age of arthritis to me.

Also true about Perry Mason - @gbgoodies - that DA in particular was certifiably incompetent, and seemed to grow more morose with each case.
( small wonder, I don't think he ever won a case)

Here's one that really bothered me lol- do you remember how Phyllis crashed Rhoda's wedding party, but forgot to pick up Rhoda for the ceremony? She wound up almost ruining Rhoda's wedding! I would have expected SOMEONE to throw her out of the wedding, or at the least; Rhoda's mom to throw that ditzy diva right out the window.

The thing that always strikes me as funny about Jessica Fletcher is she frequently confronts the murderer alone! I mean, he/she has already killed one person. Why wouldn't he/she kill another to keep it secret? Jessica doesn't seem like the type to carry a gun.

A lot of TV detectives do that. Columbo did it all the time.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
House - like the show a lot but in the early seasons he would negligently make a brash diagnosis and then the patient would react then he would eventual get round to the correct diagnosis.

That's every episode of House. It's the most formulaic programme I've ever seen, I think. I liked it though.

Why does anyone answer the door to Jessica Fletcher? She's there. You've invited her. Someone is going to be murdered. Read a bloody newspaper people!

Lol on House @Larry and @average joe. Friends who have been fans of the show, along with me, all agreed -
wouldn''t want that guy as a doctor!

Hilarious observation @honeykid - JB Fletcher is sort of like the Typhoid Mary of murder mysteries. Don't let her innnnnnnnnnnn!

I watched just about ever Colombo episode. I longed for the day when he arrives to interview someone in his dishevelled state and gets the door closed in his face with the comment " Skid Row is down the street pal"

Cool thread LL.

Oh how I wanted someone to smack the chops of that conceited, opinionated, egotistic, superior; arrogant Fonze in Happy Days.

I also watched every episode of I Dream Of Jeannie... Jeannie got Nelson into so much trouble..why did he not throw away the bottle? I think there was one episode when they returned to the island where he found her in order to rebury her.. but he chickened out

I suppose one of the most common ones would be that in various examples of science fiction, humans go to alien planets and all the aliens conveniently speak English.

Doctor Who – eventually (in The Masque of Mandragora) – addressed this in a very clever and satisfying way by having it that the TARDIS translated everything for the Doctor and his companions.

I'm not sure when Star Trek referred to their Universal Translator but that's its equivalent reason for everyone understanding each other.

I suppose one of the most common ones would be that in various examples of science fiction, humans go to alien planets and all the aliens conveniently speak English.

Doctor Who – eventually (in The Masque of Mandragora) – addressed this in a very clever and satisfying way by having it that the TARDIS translated everything for the Doctor and his companions.

I'm not sure when Star Trek referred to their Universal Translator but that's its equivalent reason for everyone understanding each other.
yes that was mostly in the 50/60s American sci fis. I do recall a Twilight Zone episode when a giant alien came to earth and spoke in an alien language. It was only at the end that some scientist deciphered the language.. which was that the humans were " being kidnapped by the aliens to be taken to their planet where they would be food for their captors "

I have great admiration for the talent of TZ's Rod Serling.. but the man was a walking cigarette advertisement. Wonder he didnt hold up the packet during his hosting.