Song of the day

Tools    

@lenslady. It's funny you're playing this music now spookie b/c you're heading into Oz winter, but this music is just right for me-,I feel like it's 'summer music' - and if I'm not at the beach or pool, makes me feel I' m there right now.

Yes LL it is mid winter here now..cold and miserable.. all the more reason to listen to some of my all time fave songs to lift my spirits. You told me winter got you down. Well it does me too. I will now listen to Little River Band Greatest Hits. Imho their harmonising is the equal of the BBs.

A comment( for now ) on Gary Puckett. He has one of the greatest under-recognized voices in pop music. I see him as a being in line with singers like Tom Jones and Englebert etc but never, unfortunately, had the same long time renown. But his singing, imho, is of their stature and greater.

I went to a concert years ago, I think he was touring as an opening 'oldies' act - and he blew me away. Can't even remember who the other band was now, but hearing him sing in person was unforgettable - an unexpected pleasure.

PS- Jean Redpath was a Scottish singer. She was considered a folk singer ( and educator) but I think her voice and songs go beyond
' categories'

A comment( for now ) on Gary Puckett. He has one of the greatest under-recognized voices in pop music. I see him as a being in line with singers like Tom Jones and Englebert etc but never, unfortunately, had the same long time renown. But his singing, imho, is of their stature and greater.

I went to a concert years ago, I think he was touring as an opening 'oldies' act - and he blew me away. Can't even remember who the other band was now, but hearing him sing in person was unforgettable - an unexpected pleasure.
Agree he is under rated big time. Lucky you. Never got to hear him live. He too has a incredible vocal range.

@lenslady. It's funny you're playing this music now spookie b/c you're heading into Oz winter, but this music is just right for me-,I feel like it's 'summer music' - and if I'm not at the beach or pool, makes me feel I' m there right now.

Yes LL it is mid winter here now..cold and miserable.. all the more reason to listen to some of my all time fave songs to lift my spirits. You told me winter got you down. Well it does me too. I will now listen to Little River Band Greatest Hits. Imho their harmonising is the equal of the BBs. Listen below.
bump

I was walking down the road late afternoon to the 'corner store' about to buy some things when I ran into an older neighbor who I enjoy talking to. Mind you, this store is about 3/4 mile walk but it was such a lovely Summer's day-clear blue skies, mild 70's and a tender breeze - that I didn't mind walking. Neighbor ( friend really) and I got to chatting about everything from the weather to the price of paper goods to favorite cousins, and the day was getting late . So, despite her being older and a bit stiff in the joints, she insisted on hobbling to her car and giving me a ride to the store. It was a kind little nugget of good heartedness that made my day brighter.

Josh Ritter is a modern singer-songwriter in the roots tradition I so enjoy. I love his songs and the way he 'turns a phrase' And this song does not exactly reflect the event of this afternoon , but the unexpected gesture of human kindness just sort of expanded into the late day and made me remember it .

When the sun is low and aglow in the sky, when a person offers a dear gesture in friendship, when the mockingbird swoops and skips upon the branches above you, on the green road home- it makes you remember, if you care to, many friendships, many good people, even the caring heart of strangers - and one special loving person who came into your life when you thought the sun was going down- but he made you realize- the sun was coming up.

Didn't forget you spookie. I have to admit Judith and the Seekers was my favorite of your recent selections. Icehouse is new to me and like some of your other bands, just makes me feel my arm on the wheel and my other arm out the window, as I drive along to the driving rhythm. Kind of a yearning to the song.

Silence is golden- a catchy golden oldie - and a phrase, I believe. if honored, that may have saved more than one marriage

But Judith really blew me away with this song and her voice. I remember the Seekers from Georgy Girl and a few other hits- but it seems that vocally, she truly mellowed like fine wine. A strong distinctive voice that actually grew better with time. Glad she's still out and about and sharing her music.

No LL you did not forget me. I could not access your Josh Ritter clip. Ok I have plenty more for you to listen to.. I will educate you on Aussie music yet. What exactly is roots music?

Couple of Aussie golden oldies. Russell Morris (vocals) Brian Cadd (piano), First recorded in the 70s.

This is the original recording of Sweet, Sweet, Love.