Time Travel In Film

Tools    

Have to ever done hypothesis? I did about 12 years ago, cause my body couldn't take the punishment, though hypothesis helped me dramatically.

Time travel in film has always sucked. In every film I have ever seen where there is time travel, it sucks. You would think somebody could make an interesting story with that.

Time travel in film has always sucked. In every film I have ever seen where there is time travel, it sucks. You would think somebody could make an interesting story with that.
Teminator 1 and 2 and Back To the Future sucks?

What about The Time Traveler's wife? An Aussie and good looking bird????

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah...uh, no. There are plenty of fun and interesting Time Travel flicks, stuff like Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys, that are thought-provoking and interesting. Just because something doesn't stand up under scientific scrutiny, doesn't mean you can't make a good flick about it.

Have to ever done hypothesis? I did about 12 years ago, cause my body couldn't take the punishment, though hypothesis helped me dramatically.
I am having trouble parsing this sentence... Can you re-phrase the question?

Completely agree with Sedai. There are tons of great time travel flicks. Back To The Future, Time Crimes, The Terminator, Frequency, Bill and Ted films, Planet Of The Apes, etc. I even have a soft spot for The Butterfly Effect. It's a trusty concept that never gets old, imo.

stuff like Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys, that are thought-provoking and interesting.
If interested, I recommend the original 'photo' film that was an influence on 12 Monkeys:

umm wht do u guys think about the jacket? thats atime travel movie too right?
and this is my favourite TT movie, its so hilarious

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I've been meaning to see that flick F.A.Q's about time travel but can't find it anywhere.

Suspect's Reviews

In general, as far as "time-traveling" movies go, the best one (yet technically a tv-series) I ever saw was "The Sliders" with John Rhys-Davies. I remember I couldn't get my eyes off the screen.

I stand corrected, Terry's 12 Monkeys is a masterpiece. But Terry is a genius, and the exception to any rule.

Source Code is also time traveling I think. I thought it was a rather ok movie. Not a blockbuster but entertaining enough.

In, Back to the Future, old Marty does NOT know that young Marty is knocking around because old Marty exists on an ALTERNATE timeline.

At least, that's the only explanation that makes sense.

Always the same sometimes!!
Timecrimes(2007) Dir. Nacho Vigalondo , spanish sci-fi (& timetravel obv) for me was a pleasant find for me!!

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I am not a physicist or anything close to a physicist but I did read a book a while back about the Multiverse theory, basically every second you are alive, or decision you make forms the start of a new Multiverse so there would be millions upon millions of different you's, all of this is really just theoretical and I am probably wrong on all the facts but I remember it being something like that, and if that was the case then time travel would be impossible, which I am sure that it is already.

OMG! I've just spotted a mahhooosive plot hole in Back To The Future.

Currently watching BTTF 2, while doc is explaining with the chalkboard about how Biff has changed the past, he holds up a newspaper showing that he has been locked up for being a nutcase.

If that were the case, (that Biff has changed the past), Doc wouldn't have built the time machine, the Doc that we're seeing on screen right now holding up the newspaper wouldn't exist (if anything he would have vanished from existence like Marty nearly did in the first film, if anything, he would have vanished from existence while he was in the future 2015 when Biff stole the time machine).

The past has been changed, which means everything Doc and Marty have been doing in the past two movies couldn't have happened.
Not only that, when Biff goes back, he gives that sports book to his young self, then returns to the future. Surely the 'future' he came back to would be a different 'future', because he has changed the past, meaning Doc and Marty would have been stuck without a time machine.

As I said in my previous posts, a massive paradox. Can't believe I've only just noticed this one.

lol Yes Back to the Future is quite famous for its inconsistency.

The problem with time travel is that it has been done to death and there is really no way you can make it feel fresh again. From the mentioned Terminator to the Star Trek series and beyond. But still, despite not being much of a fan of time travelling, I simply adore Back to the Future to this day. I don't know if it is nostalgia bias but I can't not love the series.

Source Code is also time traveling I think. I thought it was a rather ok movie. Not a blockbuster but entertaining enough.
Not time-travel. He is being put into the "source code" of someone's last moments alive, if I recall correctly. It's more like virtual reality than time travel. I like to think of it as being similar to Groundhog Day (1993). He has to keep repeating that time frame over and over until he gets it "right." Up until the end of the movie of course, in which it stretches that idea and takes some liberties... but I won't spoil it for anyone. Regardless, I loved that movie.
Also, because no-one has mentioned it yet: Futurama: Bender's Big Score (2007). Very tongue-in-cheek, very filled with in-jokes, but very funny, and actually quite clever in the way it was executed, ending up with multiple plots running during different time frames that all connect in the end. It starts with a lot of loose ends, but by the end it ties them all up... except, of course, for the most important one: where did the tattoo come from? But even that can't take away from my love of this movie. It's truly a tribute to everything great about Futurama!