Things that annoy you...

Tools    

Why the F do they call it stainless steel ? !!!?? Nothing stainless about it.

It takes more time to clean my stainless steel fry pan than it does to make a meal. Soak, then scrub, then soak some more. Scrub again. Not clean ? Why just soak a few hours more. And scrub. Of course you 're not allowed to use a Brillo pad - or any effective scrubber - b/c it mars the finish. What finish??? I still have charred remains of January's onion omelet at the edges. True the food tastes very good, but why so much effort???

And I mainly bought stainless steel cookware b/c it's supposed to be inert and safe; now I read it can leach chemicals into your food as well. Especially at high temps. So now you have to cook an extra 1/2 hour on a low light; then soak and scrub with a wet hanky for 3 days.

And btw my fridge is also stainless steel - all I have to do is breathe on it to get permanent watermarks.

They should call it PIA steel.

Next household purchase I make will be friggin Teflon.

Next household purchase I make will be friggin Teflon.
Never even knew they made Teflon vibrators

When TV shows kill a major character without really killing the character. Like, the character dies, but then haunts the other characters or some such other nonsense. UGH.
Or when a character just disappears and is never mentioned again as if they'd never existed (like Chuck Cunningham on Happy Days)!

When TV shows kill a major character without really killing the character. Like, the character dies, but then haunts the other characters or some such other nonsense. UGH.
Or when a character just disappears and is never mentioned again as if they'd never existed (like Chuck Cunningham on Happy Days)!

They basically did the same with Bob on Becker.

Subway annoys me. I buy a 12” veggie delite sandwich every Sunday for a total of $5.31. Husband didn’t want his half yesterday so bought a 6” instead. This cost me a total of $4.56.

Can anyone explain the logic of only a 35¢ difference between the 2 prices?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Careful! They might raise prices for the extra 6" sammich!!

Off topic, there is a cute animated series on YouTube called Sooubway about a kid's experience working there.

Subway annoys me. I buy a 12” veggie delite sandwich every Sunday for a total of $5.31. Husband didn’t want his half yesterday so bought a 6” instead. This cost me a total of $4.56.

Can anyone explain the logic of only a 35¢ difference between the 2 prices?
If you really want to know (rather than this just being a rhetorical question) the answer is economics and psychology. People are more likely to buy what they don't want/need for the extra money because it's 'a bargain' and people would rather be seen buying more than they need than buying a second serving should they want it. The extra ingredients are negligible in cost so it's almost pure profit. Same for supersizing and the like.

I've bought a drink before where it's been 2 for £1 and only taken 1 and paid 70p. Which was the individual price. They inform me it's 2 for a £1 and I say 'I know but I only want one.' They look at me like I'm the fool. That's how ingrained it is.

Also, it's 75 cents, but I'm assuming that's what you meant.

I've just become aware of a new adaptation of Rebecca, starring Lily James. Maxim de Winter is played by Armie Hammer, who is only two years older than James, so it looks like the twenty year age difference from the book has been shoved to one side. I was just looking at all the other versions and although there was only ten years between Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine they at least made Olivier's Maxim look a lot older.

I've just become aware of a new adaptation of Rebecca, starring Lily James. Maxim de Winter is played by Armie Hammer, who is only two years older than James, so it looks like the twenty year age difference from the book has been shoved to one side. I was just looking at all the other versions and although there was only ten years between Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine they at least made Olivier's Maxim look a lot older.
I’m aware. I have zero interest in a remake of a classical movie. IIRC, they actually have someone (forget who) in the rôle of Rebecca herself, which makes no sense.

I’m aware. I have zero interest in a remake of a classical movie. IIRC, they actually have someone (forget who) in the rôle of Rebecca herself, which makes no sense.
The miniseries with Charles Dance and Emilia Fox was quite good, and I remember Lucy Cohu played Rebecca in that. She's been pretty typecast since .

I think you're right, Rebecca is better as a presence, haunting the characters rather than ever being shown.

That’s how DuMaurier wrote the book. Rebecca - dead - was more of a presence than Maxim’s wife, whose name we never even learn.

That’s how DuMaurier wrote the book. Rebecca - dead - was more of a presence than Maxim’s wife, whose name we never even learn.
Yeah, I'd forgotten that she's just Mrs de Winter, without a first name.

McD tasted different/better in the Styrofoam boxes days..
Amazing I'd almost forgotten about them .

Archive footage on media reports being stretched to fit 16:9 format; drives me nuts. Kids will be asking if everyone in the past was wide as well as "monochrome".

At the ATM this morning inside Webster Bank, bank rejected a check since it couldn’t read the amount of the check so I prepared to punch in the amount. A lady comes right up behind me & reads out the amount of the check & proceeds to direct me as to how to continue. Gosh, she was annoying. She would not move away & stood right behind me the entire time. She needed to use the ATM so I don’t know if she was a bank employee or just a customer.

Was taking a nap & woken up by a woman shrieking into her phone in the loudest voice imaginable. This went on for a long time. Couldn’t see where she actually was on our street until she decided to park herself in front of our house where her harangue against multiple people continued. Dios Mio!

Was taking a nap & woken up by a woman shrieking into her phone in the loudest voice imaginable. This went on for a long time. Couldn’t see where she actually was on our street until she decided to park herself in front of our house where her harangue against multiple people continued. Dios Mio!
This reminds me of something I witnessed while out walking the neighbor's dog last night - a car in a driveway and they had their phone routed through the car's stereo system while all their doors & windows were open!

So from over two blocks away I'm already hearing what should be a private conversation literally blasting as I approached. It sounded like an outdoor stadium! And the bizarre aspect was that it wasn't even music, but some mundane cell phone conversation.

I wonder if the person on the other end who's voice was being blasted to the whole neighborhood knew they were on a boom car's sound system?

I also wonder, don't people have any shame or consideration? Why do people these days WANT strangers to overhear their private conversations?

Have you heard some of these cell phone conversations? They reveal how empty some people's lives are - they're only talking on a cell phone because it's all they know how to do and they don't have anything else to do but to try to narrate the minute by minute, meaningless minutia of their daily lives to someone on the other end!

People who cross the street while looking at their phone. Anybody staring at their phone when they shouldn't be is annoying but especially that.