Bob Hearts Abishola

Tools    

This new CBS sitcom from the creators of Two and Half Men stars Billy Gardell, who spent six years playing second fiddle to Melissa McCarthy on Mike and Molly, playing the head of a family-operated business who has a heart attack and finds himself attracted to the Nigerian nurse who tends to him. Billy Gardell is a charming guy and Folake Olowofoyeku works very hard at trying to be funny as the nurse, but there's just no chemistry there. Tony Award winner Christine Ebersole is terrific as Bob's mother and Matt Jones, who was so funny as Anna Feris' ex-husband on Mom, is great too, but their screentime was definitely limited. The show is definitely about a romance between these two principal characters and since the romance is interracial, the writing needs to be a lot edgier to sell this, but it all comes down to a chemistry between the actors that just isn't there. I'll be surprised if this one lasts through Christmas.

Glad someone else watched & reviewed the show @Gideon58, tho I thought more highly of it than you did. I had my doubts about this show - and it was pre-panned by the critics - but watched it because I enjoyed Billy on Mike and Molly. Bill here , as then, plays a likable, solid, more or less blue collar, soft hearted guy as he did on M&M , a sort of Dan from Roseanne type of guy.

I liked the show more than I thought I would. The casting of an interracial romance , which I originally envisioned as a possibly overly p-c premise, really imho played out more as a meeting of two different ethnic cultures. I found the show fun, the characters appealing and interesting, and quite well written. I was already favored towards Billy as Bob, but soon found myself liking Abishola too, especially in her relationship with her
son. ( Very winsome, appealing young man btw).

Great lines from all the characters-like when the nurse who took a bribe from Bob for her address, gives half of it back to Abishola next day, saying,
" I' m glad you're alive. "

I enjoyed the show. What I first thought would be a stilted, manufactured for tv romance turned out to be believable and authentic -after all, romances like this happen all the time. As far as the 'chemistry ' between these two likable leads, I think the seeds are there; and would let it blossom as the show progresses.

Give it time- this could be a fun show, and a breath of fresh air on the airwaves.

IMHO a good start, and hope it survives at least a season.

And btw I also would like a pair of those perfect socks! Lmao I could mention how hard it is to find good pair of socks nowadays, but I think that diatribe belongs on the Things That Annoy You thread.

Well, I usually try to give new shows three episodes to grab me...if I feel the same way about it after the third episodes, I will usually stop watching. I will give it three episodes to see if it can find its footing.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't have high hopes for "Bob Hearts Abishola", but I'm giving it a chance because it's a Chuck Lorre show.

After watching the first episode, it's better than I expected it to be, but it's still not very good. I don't care much for either of the two leads, and the actress who plays Abishola has such a strong accent that I can't understand half of what she says.

I'll give the show a few more episodes before I decide whether or not to give up on it, but I doubt that I'll watch the show for much longer unless it gets much better in the next few episodes.

I don't have high hopes for "Bob Hearts Abishola", but I'm giving it a chance because it's a Chuck Lorre show.

After watching the first episode, it's better than I expected it to be, but it's still not very good. I don't care much for either of the two leads, and the actress who plays Abishola has such a strong accent that I can't understand half of what she says.

I'll give the show a few more episodes before I decide whether or not to give up on it, but I doubt that I'll watch the show for much longer unless it gets much better in the next few episodes.

I agree with you about Abishola's accent. It does make her hard to understand at times...I have to admit that I didn't understand two words she said in the scene in the principal's office.

Decided to finally buckle down and watch it. Turned out a lot better than expected considering the promos didn't do it any justice. The writing is tops. Hopefully it sticks around a while.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm glad I didn't give up on "Bob Hearts Abishola" because it turned out to be a pretty good show. It took a while, but I was able to get used to her accent, and I really like the chemistry between the two main characters.