Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I tried that Spoiler thingy, but didn't work.... Whatever I put in it, just disappeared.
An example that may or may not help (if you copy/paste the code below)?
WARNING: "The red part announcing the spoilers" spoilers below
Replace this text with your spoiler text

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★

One of the most interesting brazilian directors alive.
A very good Hilda Hilst adaptation.
Feelings through image and sound.

★★
Wow, another one.

★★★
Bruce Lee's uncompromising action/comedy movie.

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

I'm rating this based on my expectations for an animated movie and not a conventional movie. Most animated movies are much more rewatchable and more easily capable of being funny, at least in my opinion. This one was good for that genre but nothing special in my eyes. I can't get past Baruchels voice either...

Unregistered User
Loving (2016) -

Bird Box (2018) -
- quite enjoyed it up until the ending.
Mary Queen of Scots (2018) -

The Two Killings of Sam Cooke (2019) -

White Boy Rick (2018)

This is the type of story and time period that strongly appeals to me. If a movie like this is good, I may overreact and overrate it, and if it's not that good I may overreact and trash it. I think I have this one pegged fairly in that it did a decent job. Nothing spectacular or memorable, but solid on all fronts and a good watch.

I just had a weekend with arthouse movies together with a Swedish film director, who passed by Copenhagen, from the Berlinale, before going to Göteborg in Sweden. My favorite out of the bunch of movies we saw were Leos Carax' moving love story: The Lovers on the Bridge from 1991, but all of the 4 movies were good, each in its own way.

Sauvage (2018) by Camille Vidal-Naquet

Another picture which represents the wave of queer cinema of recent years. Sauvage, in its depiction of a young gay prostitute, is clearly setting new boundaries for what subject matter can be filmed. The ambiguities of the main character is reminiscent of Agnes Varda's hallmark film Vagabond from 1985. An interesting debut film, not without some disturbing scenes in the life of a young homeless prostitute, but the manuscript does not really justify a whole feature length film.

+

Ex Libris: New York Public Library (2017) by Frederick Wiseman

This film only adresses a small target group of cinephiles, yet its running time underpins the visualisation of the institution which the New York Public Library is. Another film by Frederick Wiseman, which in a interesting way, shows the institution, both in terms of public events but all so quite interesting administrative meetings. Only for Wiseman fans.

The Lovers on the Bridge (1991) by Leos Carax

Another film that secures the legacy of Leos Carax auteurship. Im slowly going through all of his films, so far, with Holy Motors as my favourite, though its also his newest. Dennis Lavant makes so truly unique acting and he might be one of my favorite French actors. I would recommend this to people who love quirky indie movies, though this is more of an artsy French love movie

Fat Girl (2001) by Catherine Breillat

A rather depressing story about family dysfunction and sibling rivalry with an ending that reminds you of Haneke. A finely tuned psychological drama with a touch of horror. Recommendable if you are not over your winter depression.

+

Nice to see some love for Leos Carax and Denis Lavant

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Todo Modo - 4/10
Watch Petri's other movies instead. I thought this would be great not only considering the director, but adding in Italy's best leading men.

Re-watch. Usually avoid musical theater, but this movie was good despite the songs. Daniel Day-Lewis made the movie for me.

Excellent movie. Big fan of Kristen Stewart. Despite reading several theories & watching the movie twice, I still don’t understand what happened in the final scenes of the movie.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski (2018)

Considered by many to be the greatest sculptor of the 20th Century, the lion's share of Stanislav Szukalski's (sue-cull-skee) unsold work was destroyed in a Nazi bombing raid of Warsaw, Poland in 1939. Having traveled to the U.S. before and with U.S. citizenship from a prior marriage, Szukalski and his current wife moved to the U.S. permanently after the bombing, eventually settling in Burbank. Not having the name recognition that he did in Europe he gradually drifted into obscurity.

In 1971 his presence was accidentally discovered by the actor Glenn Bray, and was soon surrounded and promoted by some of the artists of the day. The group included George DiCaprio. George and his son Leonardo (the actor) eventually produced this captivating documentary.

This is a unique find. It's as if DaVinci were recently discovered, along with all his writings, teaching and that much of his work became available.

Perhaps Ms. M would like to comment on this greatest of sculptors who was Polish.

Available on Netflix and streaming services. Doc's rating: 9/10
Forgive me late replay. I think Szukalski is more known abroad, than in Poland. He was famous here between First and Second WW. He was a part of bohemia, but than he emigrated to US and I think he is rather known there than here. He is told as a man with hugh ego

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Death in Venice - 7.5/10
Probably the first time I enjoyed the cinematography, and didn't care there was hardly any dialogue.. Meditative, reflective, and delicate. I'd love to find more movies like this when I'm in that mood. I only have 1-2 Visconti left before I complete his filmography.

Forgive me late replay. I think Szukalski is more known abroad, than in Poland. He was famous here between First and Second WW. He was a part of bohemia, but than he emigrated to US and I think he is rather known there than here. He is told as a man with hugh ego
I got the impression that Szukalski has somehow been cheated by Polish art historians. He was born in Warta, Poland in 1893, and made several trips back and forth to the U.S.

In 1936 he was declared by the Polish government to be its greatest living artist. He escaped during the Siege of Warsaw, and eventually settled in the U.S. All his unsold works had been destroyed in the bombing.

Anyway, I think you'd enjoy the film if you get a chance to see it. Yes, he was highly opinionated. His sculptures are breathtaking.

~Doc

Death in Venice - 7.5/10
Probably the first time I enjoyed the cinematography, and didn't care there was hardly any dialogue.. Meditative, reflective, and delicate. I'd love to find more movies like this when I'm in that mood. I only have 1-2 Visconti left before I complete his filmography.
Beautiful novella. Beautiful movie. Seen it many times.