Miss Vicky's 100 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

Have you seen The Year of Living Dangerously? 1982 movie starring Mel Gibson, Sigourney Weaver and Linda Hunt. I think it's your kind of movie. You might like it.
I haven't seen it. I'll have to check it out.

I have School Ties -- but I haven't finished it.

We should watch Casualties of War together sometime.
You'll probably hate School Ties if you ever finish it. There's a good chance you'll hate Casualties of War also, but I'm game for watching it with you whenever. (Both predictions are based solely on the fact that I love these movies.)

I've not seen Casualties or School Ties in years, but I like both films. Casualties is a tough watch, though.

47. Saved! (2004)

Director: Brian Dannelly
Cast: Jena Malone, Mandy Moore, Macaulay Culkin, Patrick Fugit, Heather Matarazzo, Eva Amurri, Chad Faust, Elizabeth Thai, Martin Donovan, Marie Louise Parker

Why I Love It: The irreverent humor. It preaches a moral message about acceptance, faith and love, but it does so with a lot of sexual innuendo and sarcasm. Set in a Christian high school, this movie centers around a girl who attempts to remedy her gay boyfriend’s “spiritually toxic affliction” by having sex with him and winds up pregnant. When her boyfriend is sent to a Christian “treatment facility” and her friends turn on her, she finds new friends in the form of a Jewish classmate, her ex-best friend’s crippled brother, and the skateboarding son of the school’s principal.

46. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Director: Henry Selick
Cast: Danny Elfman, Chris Sarandon, Catherine O'hara, William Hickey, Glen Shadix, Paul Reubens, Ken Page, Greg Proops

Why I Love It: The quirky characters and signature Burton style (let’s not get into the “but he didn’t direct it” argument). I don’t normally care for musicals, but I actually really enjoy the songs in this one. The fact that the film encompasses both of my favorite holidays doesn’t hurt, either.

Have but haven't seen Saved. I've seen some of Nightmare Before Christmas, but I had no interest in seeing it, I didn't like what I saw and I've no interest in seeing any more.

On the outside looking in.
It's Indiana Jones and Sean Connery? At what point do you think I thought that sounded like a fun time?
It's no RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, but it's fun.

I've seen some of Nightmare Before Christmas, but I had no interest in seeing it, I didn't like what I saw and I've no interest in seeing any more.
What about CORPSE BRIDE?

45. A Mighty Wind (2003)

Director: Christopher Guest
Cast: Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy, Harry Shearer, Michael McKean, Jane Lynch, Catherine O'Hara, Bob Balaban, John Michael Higgins, Parker Posey, Ed Begley, Jr, Fred Willard, Jennifer Coolidge

Why I Love It: The music (I own and love the soundtrack as well). It’s basically Spinal Tap for the folk crowd. It both makes fun of and pays homage to folk music and the sometimes odd people who make it. All of the characters are hilariously funny as well, but my favorite is Eugene Levy as burnout Mitch Cohen. He’s so great in this he can almost be forgiven for his roles in crapfests like American Pie and New York Minute (with the Olsen twins).

44. Untamed Heart (1993)

Director: Tony Bill
Cast: Christian Slater, Marisa Tomei, Rosie Perez, Kyle Secor, Willie Garson

Why I Love It: It’s a sweet and heartbreaking romance. It’s also something of a nostalgic favorite as I was obsessed with this movie when I was in junior high. I watched it every day after school for weeks. I’m still a sucker for its sweet charms today and, seriously, how freaking hot were Christian Slater and Marisa Tomei in this?

43. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
(Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari)

Director: Robert Wiene
Cast: Werner Krauss, Conrad Veidt, Friedrich Feher, Lil Dagover

Why I Love It: It’s visually stunning. I’ve watched quite a few silent pics and this is the only one that really left a strong, lasting impression on me. Speaking of which, the influence of its impressionistic style can still clearly be seen in the works of contemporary directors, most notably Tim Burton.

I'm so glad you got Nightmare on there. I have so much respect for stop motion cinematography, it really makes the movie its own.

I've seen some of Nightmare Before Christmas, but I had no interest in seeing it, I didn't like what I saw and I've no interest in seeing any more.
What the heck, how did you not love the intro song???

44. Untamed Heart (1993)

Director: Tony Bill
Cast: Christian Slater, Marisa Tomei, Rosie Perez, Kyle Secor, Willie Garson

Why I Love It: It’s a sweet and heartbreaking romance. It’s also something of a nostalgic favorite as I was obsessed with this movie when I was in junior high. I watched it every day after school for weeks. I’m still a sucker for its sweet charms today and, seriously, how freaking hot were Christian Slater and Marisa Tomei in this?
One of my all-time favourite romances. Great selection!

It's no RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, but it's fun.
But I became bored with Raiders after a few viewings.

What about CORPSE BRIDE?
I've not seen it. Looked like Nightmare Before Christmas.
What the heck, how did you not love the intro song???
I don't know if I saw it from the start or not. However, having just gone and found and listened to it on youtube, I can see why I wouldn't remember it if I did see it.

Untamed Heart is a great choice, MV. I've not seen it in forever, but I used to really like that film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
WOW, wasn't a page that went by I didn't rep a very cool film on your list!! YAY. Especially a lot of the animations and several rom-coms that i've enjoyed as well as a number of darker flicks. Just a great list of favs all around. Bravo!

42. Surf's Up (2007)

Directors: Ash Brannon, Chris Buck
Cast: Shia LaBeouf, Jeff Bridges, John Heder, Zooey Deschannel, James Woods, Diedrich Bader, Mario Cantone

Why I Love It: The mockumentary style is very different from other films of its sort, but also this was a very pleasant surprise. I went into it thinking that a movie about surfing penguins sounded really stupid (though maybe not as stupid as singing, dancing penguins). Instead I found that it’s actually hilariously funny. Jeff Bridges is awesome as Big Z – sort of The Dude as a penguin who surfs instead of bowling. John Heder’s Chicken Joe is great too and this stands as the only Shia LaBeouf movie I’ve seen that was worth watching.

41. Beetlejuice (1988)

Director: Tim Burton
Cast: Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Michael Keeton, Winona Ryder, Catherine O'Hara, Jeffrey Jones, Glen Shadix

Why I Love It: It’s quintessential Tim Burton. It’s dark, it’s twisted, and it’s hilarious. Michael Keaton is incredible as the titular character – he’s crude, he’s freaky and he’s funny as hell. Also, the dinner party stands as one of the most memorable scenes of any movie I’ve ever watched.

As great and refreshing as this list is turning out to be, I'm growing increasingly depressed that all of the Toy Story films won't be on here
I really enjoyed Toy Story 3 and the others are good. However, they just never struck me as being exceptional and they came out during my anti-animation phase so they have no nostalgic value for me. Sorry.