PeterVincent's Top 150

→ in
Tools    

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
Well, I think I can pull off an interesting list...Here I go. I'll go in threes every day or such or so.

150. Lord Of War

An emotional film about gun running, lies, deceit & Nicolas Cage calling somebody 'the ****'.

149. Hot Fuzz

Simon Pegg, Nick Frost & Edgar Wright return with a parody of the action genre that manages to be more bad ass than most modern day action films...and it's a parody!

148. Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom

Whilst this entry is a big change in tone and quality for the series, and was once my least favourite, Temple Of Doom manages to continue the Indiana Jones adventure with some amazing set pieces, fun chases, & some great humour...& I'm not talking about Kate Capshaw.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Ah, so you like Temple Of Doom now, do ya... !

Hot Fuzz recently broke my Top 10 alongside Shaun Of The Dead... great comedy.
Temple Of Doom, awesome.

Lord Of War... not keen on Cage but still a watchable film.

147. X-Men

Whilst Bryan Singer's original X-Men film is far from my favourite of the series, it's sense of adventure & perfect capturing of some of the iconic characters is fantastic. Not to mention Ian McKellen's performance, who is a blessing from God.

146. Commando

Schwarzenegger's Commando is arguably one of the most badass things ever made. With a plot thinner than my shoestrings & occasional acting poorer than that homeless guy down the road, Commando relies primarily on two things:
1) Pace.
2) Action.
Does it work? Yes...very very very well. Now let off some steam Bennett!

It also has one of the greatest endings ever...because of that Power Station song.

145. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Judd Apatow's Forgetting Sarah Marshall is an interesting member of my list, due to the fact that I don't like to remember some of it (Jason Seagal's penis, primarily). Luckily for the film though, a fresh (for the time) performance by Russell Brand & Paul Rudd, with the addition of a Dracula puppet musical, makes this movie hysterical.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Forgetting Sarah marshal is a funny movie, think its because ime a Russell Brand fan.

144. Superman Returns

Whilst Brandon Routh wasn't exactly the best choice for Superman, Kevin Spacey was the perfect choice to add some sinisterness to the role of Lex Luthor. Superman Returns disappointed a lot of people with it's lack of action, lack of memorability and overall lack of meaning. However, I found Superman Returns to be an excellent character study, whilst it was unnecessary for certain, I enjoy it from start to finish.

143. Three Amigos

Whilst Three Amigos has it's problems, it's one of the films I quote the most. From Randy Newman's singing bush to the invisible swordsman, Three Amigos delivers on laughs and...well...more laughs. Now let's sing! My little buttercup!

142. Highlander II: The Quickening

Whilst Empire magazine calls it the 9th Worst Movie Of All Time & it holds a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, Highlander II: The Quickening holds a special place in my heart. Whilst it is without a doubt a terrible movie, there's a sense of extreme magic about it. From Christopher Lambert's hilarious portrayal of an old man to Michael Ironside's god awful portrayal as General Katana, everything forms into a solid gold turd that I will admit I love.

There's only one in that 3 I like. The Three Amigos.

Superman Returns... ugh.

Highlander 2... the first one was written as a stand alone, the sequels, especially the 2nd film were seriously not needed or warranted.

141. The Fifth Element

A Sci-Fi film so bizarre, so creative & so well designed that it gives films like The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth a run for their money in terms of pure bizarreness & fun. The main attraction is not Bruce Willis or Ian Holm...It's Gary Oldman's crazy performance, no I mean it...it's something to be remembered.

140. Limitless

Limitless manages not only to make me respect Bradley Cooper as an actor, but it also makes me respect 2010 a little bit more (2010...wasn't the best year for films). Limitless succeeds in wit, humour and a frantic direction & it all pays off.

139. Crank 2: High Voltage

Whilst most people don't understand my love for Jason Statham movies, most of them do understand my great love for Jason Statham's Crank movies. Crank 2 manages to not only be absolutely crazier than the first, but it manages to go from point A to point Z at the fastest, craziest, wildest & most insane pace I have ever seen in my life...and that Godzilla parody...Wow, at that point I didn't even know what was going on anymore...and I loved it.

I love The Fifth Element. I liked Three Amigos the first time I saw it, but I found it pretty stupid after a second viewing.

138. Live Free Or Die Hard (Die Hard 4.0)

And now for another movie on my list that most people have a disliking to nowadays, despite it's positive reception upon release. Live Free Or Die Hard (aka, Die Hard 4.0) is a step down in the series in terms of quality, characters & storytelling...however, it is a step up in pace, humour (the circus in town?), Bruce Willis attempting to be funny to the villain in phone calls, ridiculous stunts, ridiculous action & overall enjoyment in comparison to say...every other action movie of 2008.

137. Gremlins 2: The New Batch

Gremlins was, and still is, a cheesy 80's classic, I still have a Gizmo plush toy in my house that whenever I find...I umm...Well...I make Gizmo noises and give him water. Gremlins 2 was, as I'm sure many people thought, an unnecessary sequel. Gremlins 2 clearly knew it was an unnecessary sequel too, because it decided to do something to completely blow peoples expectations away...it went completely, utterly & totally insane.

136. True Lies

DANA! DANA JUMP DOWN! I CATCH YOU! DANA!
True Lies is a movie that TylerDurden99 made me watch, as over the last year I have opened up to more Schwarzenegger. Whilst I didn't like Red Heat, I loved True Lies. In this film Schwarzenegger runs around, shoots plenty of people and make Jaime-Lee Curtis do a strip tease, what more can you ask for? Except for Schwarzenegger flying a jet. Oh wait! That happens!

Of your previous post, I love The Fifth Element.

But Live Free or Die Hard I thought was pretty dreadful. Not as shamefully bad as, say, that one Indiana Jones sequel, but definitely did not live up to the originals. I dont remember much of Gremlins 2, so I can't really comment on that. True Lies is good.