SnuffStuff's Top 10 Weird Non-Animated Fairy Tales (for adults)

→ in
Tools    

A ghost story may count as a fairy tale. The list isn't necessary based on pure film making quality.

10. The City of Lost Children

+ Great atmoshere, creepy locales and villain, camerawork
- Scared the **** out of me as a child

9. Little Otik

+Svankmajer's signature animation
-

8. Kuroneko

+Great japanese ghost story, shot in gorgeous b/w
-

7. Orphee

+ Key Cacteau work, mind warping
- Narrative/absurdity of the plot can be grating for some

6. Pan's Labyrinth

+ Art design, camerawork
-

5. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

+ Societal commentary, cinematography, long takes
- WAAA liek why isnt anything happening i dont get it so boring omg wtf

4. Black Moon

+ Fat talking unicorns, overwhelming weirdness, underage boobies (?)
- underage boobies (?)

3. Alice

+ Svankmajer's stop motion animation, animal skeletons, crazy socks burrowing through the ground like mini Tremors monsters
- genuinely creepy (?)

2. House

+

-

1. Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders

+ Childlike, imaginative, and insane.
- Underage boobies

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
SnuffStuff, I love you!

Haven't seen any of them, but looking forward to seeing Uncle Boonmee nad Valerie.

I figured a more specific genre-oriented mini-list could be interesting. And I really wanted to make a list that's topped by Valerie and her week of wonders.

I haven't seen Uncle Boonmee or Valerie either but I really like the other eight a lot. I never really considered Hausu a fairy tale actually, curious. I did just write about Cocteau in my French Cinema class though, and rewatched Orphée for the paper, fell in love again. That's an awesome poster for the Jeunet film too. I also remember seeing Kuroneko in theaters, incredible.

And I really wanted to make a list that's topped by Valerie and her week of wonders.
To promote her...
Underage boobies
?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I haven't seen Uncle Boonmee or Valerie either but I really like the other eight a lot. I never really considered Hausu a fairy tale actually, curious. I did just write about Cocteau in my French Cinema class though, and rewatched Orphée for the paper, fell in love again. That's an awesome poster for the Jeunet film too.
It's not a traditional fairy tale, no, but this is an unofficial list so I can bend the rules a bit. I realized that, compared with films like Valerie, black moon, etc, Hausu kind of fits. The lightheartedness and the gleefully colorful approach to a haunted house film almost gives it a fairy tale-ish feeling. And I really just felt like it belonged here, since the list is intended to have a decent focus on weirdness.

Also, everyone knows half the enjoyment of making lists is looking for fancy posters.

To promote her...
?
Ha, yeah maybe. The girl is totally cute.

I wasn't aware of her being underage at the time of me watching the film, so any potential attraction I felt in my pants is excused.

21 at the time of watching it. I think she was 16 or something along those lines, though she looks older in the film.

Guilt: 0%
Arousal: 80%

It's whatever.

21 at the time of watching it. I think she was 16 or something along those lines,
Close enough.

though she looks older...
Is that what you told the judge?

Intresting list, but WTF is with this pedo stuff. Maybe I'll be told I don't get sarcasm again, but talking about arousal from "underage boobs" is pretty messed up.

Have you seem this?

Better than Pan's Labyrinth. You have two Svankmajer movies on your list, though, so you probably seem that.
Actually, no I haven't. Adding to to-watch list. It's now movie number 7388662 on my to-watch list.

Intresting list, but WTF is with this pedo stuff. Maybe I'll be told I don't get sarcasm again, but talking about arousal from "underage boobs" is pretty messed up.
There was nothing sarcastic about my boner.

No wonder you hated Todd Solondz

No wonder you hated Todd Solondz
Ha, no I didn't hate him, but I thought he tried to hard. I like black humor in film, but talking about arousal from someone underage is underage. It seems kind of like that Jape guy I here stories of.