Toy Story 3 vs. Avatar

Tools    

do you think toy story can make more money than avatar, so far its made $155,107,189 so it looks set to make big??

As Yoda said, Toy Story 3 will not even come close to Avatar. It may get close to Alice in Wonderland's $1 billion total gross. I think Toy Story 3 will do very well internationally, similar to Ice Age 3. Therefore, I reckon it will be the highest grossing worldwide Pixar movie. I'm not so certain it will surpass Finding Nemo as the highest grossing Pixar movie in the USA. It will end up close though.

But Avatar? No way. It will take decades before any movie will surpass the astronomically high pile of cash that movie made.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Toy Story 3 IMO will come no where near Avatar Considering Avatar is the most grossing film ever, over 2 billion world wide I really cant see Toy Story 3 making it any where near that. But it is going to be very popular and its going to make allot of money. IMO Toy Story 1 & 2 are fantastic and im possitive this is going to be just as good

Money wise I don't see Toy Story 3 passing Avatar, but as films they are really two different types of films that really cannot be compared.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I admit that I don't "get" Lud's thread, but it truly is amazing how people can compare any films they want, whether it makes sense to me or not.

I admit that I don't "get" Lud's thread, but it truly is amazing how people can compare any films they want, whether it makes sense to me or not.
where did i write that i have compared these two movies, the question was can toy story make more money.

Semper Fooey
where did i write that i have compared these two movies, the question was can toy story make more money.
Only if Woody and Buzz are on the Titanic.

There are those who call me...Tim.
I can't see it happening. Avatar made so much because it was something we hadn't seen before (visually of course, the story was as familiar as your favourite shirt and jeans), whereas Toy Story 3 could already be thought of as something of a disappointment. Or overhyped.

Don't get me wrong it was never going to break the opening weekend record set by the Dark Knight, or even beat Twilight, but an opening weekend barely above Shrek 2? The latter had some of it's opening demand burnt off with a midweek release, and didnt benefit from the inflated ticket prices of 3D showings.

Maybe I'm too critical but I'm actually slightly disappointed with Toy Story 3's box office results already.

But still I agree with Yoda, this shouldn't have any trouble beating Finding Nemo's US and Foreign totals.

$185,836,487 isnt bad, how longs it been out 6 days and theres still countries it hasnt been released yet, like uk being one of them.

I'd have to agree; that's pretty critical. The opening is #10 all-time, I believe. And it's Monday and Tuesday grosses have both been around $15 million, which is fantastic.

Looking at what's coming out in the next few weeks, Toy Story 3 doesn't really have that much competition in the its particular genre (unless I'm missing something?). Should ride a nice wave through July.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I can't speak for jrs, but I assume he's suggesting that there's no reason to be upset, given that it made a whole heck of a lot of money.

Anyway, it dropped a bit less than 50% in its second weekend and sits at over $220 million domestically. Usually such a universally-adored film would drop maybe 30 or 40%, but Toy Story 3 was hauling in 8-figure sums all week long, so this is quite good. It's basically a lock to pass Finding Nemo's $339 million domestic cume, which is currently Pixar's biggest, though this is definitely helped along a bit by inflation. Still, it's going to be one of their most successful films when all's said and done.