Starring
Chris Pine
Zachary Qunito
Benedict Cumberbatch
Simon Pegg
Karl Urban

Star Trek Into Darkness

-

Plot - After breaking the Prime Directive on a distant planet, Captain James T. Kirk (Pine) is relieved of his command of the USS Enterprise. This proves to be a short-lived development however. When a destructive force of terrorism emerges from within Starfleet itself, Kirk is reinstated and tasked with tracking down this terrorist. The terrorist in question is John Harrison (Cumberbatch); a darkly mysterious and extremely powerful force waging a one-man war against Starfleet. When the score between them becomes personal, a vengeful Kirk follows Harrison into dangerous territory, risking a war in the process. As it turns out however, things are not what they seem. With events and revelations turning the world of Kirk and his crew upside down, loyalties are going to be questioned and sacrifices demanded.

Whatever your opinion was of J.J. Abrams' first stab at the world of Star Trek, I think you're very likely to feel the exact same way about this; his return trip aboard the USS Enterprise which I found very similar. I found his 2009 reboot of the franchise to be a very fun, if flawed film. I had hoped this sequel would take the foundation laid out and realise the potential hinted at. While I would give this film the edge over its predecessor, sadly I don't feel that it quite lived up to my hopes. It was able to retain all the things I enjoyed about the first film, but unfortunately it did likewise in terms of its flaws.

Up front I feel I should admit to not being a devout follower of the Church of J.J.; I'm not one for worshipping the ground that the man walks upon. Which would be fine, I wouldn't feel strongly either way, except for the fact that so many people seem to adore and rave about the man; thus creating in me a sort of irrational contempt towards him. I think he certainly knows how to deliver on spectacle and thrills, but on the strength of his two Trek films and the underwhelming Super 8, I'm not so sure about his abilities to deliver heart and emotion. The two Star Trek films he has delivered have scored high as slices of big-ass action, but to me they don't feel like classic Trek. I imagine they're missing the adventure, the derring do, the sense of exploration, the warmth and the level of character that has made me love the franchise over the years. He's in danger of turning the franchise into nothing but a special effects bonanza.

I also have a problem with Abrams' presentation at times, though whether I can expound upon why exactly this is I'm not sure. His direction entails a frequently moving camera, numerous whips and pans and really likes to get up close and personal to his subjects. At times it is suitable and indeed successful at breeding a lively and energetic mood, however there are times (particularly on the bridge) where I wish he would just settle down for a moment, pull back and allow the moment and the characters to breathe a little. His approach creates a bit of a TV feel for me, perhaps a leftover stemming from his time working on the small screen. Oh and when it comes time to adding the visual effects in post-production, can someone please hide the 'add lens flare' button from the man!

However the one area where this film truly does improve upon Abrams' first attempt is in its villain, who this time around is given a much more fleshed-out character and interesting story. In Star Trek, Eric Bana was given very little opportunity to make an impression as Nero; his character felt like it existed merely as a plot device to get the crew involved in time travel and alternate realities. In John Harrison however, Benedict Cumberbatch is given greater scope to work with and truly makes the most of it. His terrorist foe oozes menace and charisma. It's a fantastically gripping and magnetic performance which just cements his growing reputation as one of the hottest young talents around. He absolutely dominates the screen and your attention whenever he appears, and for me is the best thing this sequel has going for it. All of which makes it rather unfortunate then that I don't feel he is really utilised to the fullest, with the script conspiring to have him off screen for more time than would have been ideal. Abrams' main focus remains the occasionally strained dynamic between Spock and Kirk, and on the action. The script flirts with some more complex issues such as morality and the rights of a terrorist, but quickly dismisses them to blow some more stuff up. It also opts for quite a rushed and clumsy conclusion which seems to ignore the consequences created. The script just feels rather lazy at times.

When it comes to the Enterprise crew the undoubted star amongst the cast remains Zachinary Quinto who continues to deliver an uncanny impersonation of Leonard Nimoy. It's actually rather eerie and unnerving just how similar they are; it's the same voice, the same face, the same mannerisms, the same nuances - everything! In fact, were it not for the small issue that the original Spock is still alive I'd be tempted to believe Quinto was actually Leonard Nimoy reincarnated! As in the first outing, Chris Pine proves to be a solid and decent Kirk but I've still to truly warm to him and the character. I just don't feel like he has truly inhabited the character and made it his own, or that he has the suitable natural star power. As a result, in the scenes where Kirk goes face to face with Harrison, I personally felt that he paled in comparison to the magnetic and over-powering gravitas of Cumberbatch. So much so that I rather found myself cheering for the villain which I don't think is a particularly good thing to feel for this type of venture. And Pine is not helped by the fact that the script often conspires to make his Kirk flawed, weak and not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I read another review which criticised the film for having supporting characters presented as little more than window dressing, and that really is the case when it comes to much of the Enterprise's crew; with the likes of Sulu, Chekov, McCoy and Uhura all suffering. Basically everyone but Spock, Kirk and Scotty. The actors are given pitifully little to work with outside of basic traits imitated after the men and women who first brought these characters to life. As McCoy, all the script allots Urban is the chance to deliver grumpy one-liners. Anton Yelchin remains an endearing presence as Chekov, but is relegated to basically mispronouncing his v's and his w's. As a result I've still to really take to any of the supporting cast in any great manner. Oh and as I've mentioned on here a few times before, I'm not a fan of Simon Pegg and take umbrage at him portraying a Scotsman. I found him annoying in the first film, and so was rather despondent to find his role had been increased this time around.

One of the main flaws in Abrams' first trip into space aboard the Enterprise was the romance between Spock and Uhura. Revealed out of the blue late on in proceedings, no development or explanation was really put forward. It came across as nothing more than a flimsy gimmick; as if Abrams & co had merely included it for a bit of controversy, just to get people talking and create some buzz. I had hoped that they would take the opportunity to expand upon it in the sequel but sadly that is not the case. Very little progress is made on that front, and they decline the chance to address issues such as how a relationship between a human and a vulcan actually works, or even why they're together. We've had two movies now and still have no real clue why these two have hooked up.

As with the first film, the one area where the film is a pretty much unreserved success is in its effects and the sheer spectacle they create. It looks spectacular and remains a great theme park ride of a movie, full of large scale space battles and thrilling set-pieces. Though the battle on Kronos suffers from the manic, quick-fire editing that hurts many modern films, making it almost incomprehensible to figure out what the hell is happening at times. One problem with so much action however is that I began to suffer peril fatigue (a term borrowed from another review). With Kirk & co in danger every five minutes it begins to wear on you a bit. Again as with its predecessor, Into Darkness features numerous nods to classic Trek, and near its conclusion this is particularly true of Wrath of Khan. This blatant callback will likely work fine for newcomers to the world, but for trekkies (well this one at least) the scene felt incredibly forced and cheesy, even verging on being cringeworthy, and completely sabotaged any potential emotion in the scene. For a film trying to breathe new life into a franchise it seems overly obsessed with the past.

And lastly, another thing that wasn't so much a flaw with the film as just a personal nitpick is the fact that I was disappointed with just how much of the running time was spent aboard the Enterprise or on Earth. That was fine on TV when you only had to wait another week for a new episode, but with a potential wait of a few years between instalments I feel its a shame not to spend more time exploring “strange new worlds” and interacting with alien races. Outside of the film's prologue our only real exposure to the wider universe is a brief visit to the Klingon homeworld of Kronos, but much of it is shrouded in darkness preventing us from really getting an idea of its aesthetic, and the Klingons themselves I found to be a disappointing creation; not really evoking their look from any previous outings.

As seems pretty typical for this type of fair these days, the film does have its share of plot holes. Quite a large share actually. But I won't get too bogged down in them right now (perhaps later ). One thing I did have an issue with however was some of the deus ex machina plot devices they came up with to get themselves out of a jam. They may work fine in the short term but I'm curious to see how they play out as we go along. For example, is it just me or did they actually just remove the threat of death from the world of Star Trek? Or at the very least greatly diluted it.

Conclusion - Given how many flaws I've pointed out it may seem strange that I've still given it such a high rating, indeed even I think it looks generous! But for all its problems, as a big summer blockbuster it remains a highly entertaining (if disposable) popcorn flick, and as a result of Benedict Cumberbatch's inclusion it is an improvement on the first film. And my inner Trekkie is pretty damn strong which is always going to help anything carrying the Trek name. However with more screentime for Cumberbatch, more attention paid to the script and better use of its supporting cast this could have been something special.

Oh and another interesting aspect, which perhaps hurt my enjoyment of this, was just how similar this was to Iron Man 3 in terms of sharing similar themes and story beats. I found IM3 to be a much smarter, wittier and overall a far more thrilling experience however.
Great review there JD, sums up many of my feelings about the film. Despite it's many flaws it comes off as about an 8/10 for me aswell.

I have to say that the best part of the whole thing for me was the badass Black Starfleet ship turning up. That awesome nightmarish scene where it catches Enterprise in warp was probably the best sound visual/sound effect that I have seen in a Sci Fi movie, despite it only being seconds long.

That being said it was a bit of Deja Vu having another massive ship like the Romulan mining ship from Star Trek turn up. I would probably rather have a ship to equal the Enterprise and a great tactical battle of wits ensue, a bit like Enterprise vs Reliant from Wrath of Khan, or Enterprise vs the cloaked Bird of Prey from Undiscovered Country.

I hated, and I mean hated the switcheroo with Kirk/Spock death ending. The scene doesn't even come close to matching the emotion of Spock's death from W.O.K. It was almost embarrassing to watch and straightaway you know they are going to use Khan's blood to save Kirk, in turn making the ending entirely predictable and the weakest point of the film.

Quite right also about the "Peril fatigue", every 10 minutes is another death defying situation in which you are NEVER at any point concerned for the wellbeing of any of the major characters. These guys don't have the brass balls to kill off a major character like in Wrath and have him stay dead (at least until the next instalment).

They could do with taking a look at the old films, using a bit less action and more of those tense bridge situations with the dark red battlestations illumination where Kirk/Spock must cleverly outthink the bad guy. Also many of the magic moments of the better old Star Trek films are scenes of dialogue that haven't been matched by the new films. Slow it down a bit guys we don't need an action scene every 10 minutes, or having a good dialogue scene broken by action.

That being said it's a decent sequel that I enjoyed enough to watch twice in 3 days.

I do worry a little about Star Wars though. Are we going to end up with the two powerhouse Sci Fi franchises identical to eachother?

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

On the outside looking in.
A major disappointment after the surprising 2009 reboot. I wish Paramount would stop trying to remake WRATH OF KHAN.

I liked it. I can get why it irks longtime fans, but I dig the "same universe with some rippling differences" concept a lot and I think they're exploiting it well. But then, I just appreciate the older films; I don't see them as sacrosanct, and even if I did I think I'd be fine with the fact that they're clearly setting them apart so as not to disturb the canon.

Anyway, this continues to be a very entertaining series. Not as good as the first one, but really good. I'm on board for whatever they do next.

A system of cells interlinked
A major disappointment after the surprising 2009 reboot. I wish Paramount would stop trying to remake WRATH OF KHAN.

Ah yes...wait a sec, what are you on about? You mean like, once? Where are all these alleged remakes? The fact that Khan is the villain here is just about where the similarities stop. This is the first time the crew meets Kahn, so isn't this a remake of Space Seed, if it's a remake at all? Wrath was a revenge flick, and this isn't. They lifted ONE event from Wrath, and they changed it up, because this is a tangent universe. Where is the Genesis device? Seti Alpha system? They didn't put....creatures...in our bodies....

This entire run is a REBOOT, not a REMAKE, and Abrams was quite clear when he said he would be retelling certain stories in the Star Trek universe, but with a new spin and changes as he saw fit.

Here's the thing - there is no lightning left in the Star Trek bottle - no NEW lightning, that is. There is a reason the franchise died when it did: They were plumb out of ideas. At that point, we were watching a copy of a copy of a copy...you get the picture. If you want brand new science fiction ideas, watching Star Trek is going to leave you pretty cold.

I think Abrams has to straddle a line here, one that runs directly between fresh and nostalgic. Khans story was sort of a shoe-in in this regard, and i think if we got out to film number three with no Khan coming into the picture, fans would have started clamoring for the story. Let's face it: no one clamors for a retelling of Star Trek V : The Final Frontier, so the list of "most-wanted retellings" is quite short.

Ah yes...wait a sec, what are you on about? You mean like, once?
Twice -- you're forgetting STAR TREK: NEMESIS, which really isn't a bad idea.

Eclectic Mystery Science Fiction Movie Fruitcake
Being an Original Series fan (I've been watching since I was a toddler) I can fully say that I was - shall we say - quizzical as to whether or not Star Trek and Into Darkness would satisfy my Kirk/Spock/McCoy needs.

Casting Chris Pine versus Chris Hemsworth (who was slapped into the role of Kirk's father) seems a tragic mistake. Pine irritates me - he's not quite as pretty as Shatner was, and he's nerdy in a flea-bitten way. 'Course, they want to illustrate how Kirk would have been if he had been crushed by the death of his father, etc. Still I long for the "noble" looks that Shatner brought to the role.
Quinto is fine, he's doing and bang-up job, and Karl Urban as McCoy is startlingly wonderful.

I don't expect much plot in these movies. When you're up against special effects, plot takes the back seat. i can live with that, if the acting is adequate. So far, it's been great. A little nod to Karl Urban - he needs more screen time.

As for the bad guys - Benedict Cumberbach is a wonderfully Grinch-like figure. I could not help but squeal in agony, ecstasy and glee when I saw him turn his grin into a "V" and hiss out: "Now, shall we begin?!" Not that he's anything as impressive as Ricardo Montalban's chest. Sure, he can pretend to know Jujitsu and Aikido all he wants, he's not really impressing me. His acting does - that red-nosed bit about his crew had me near to sniffling.

Sadly, the character building seems to be all about Spock in this one - but - then again, how often does Spock really get the starring role? Yes, he is the Vulcan Deus Ex-Machina, but it's nice to see that his flaws are real, and to see him struggling with them can be comedic and integral to a good Star Trek flick.

To sum it up: Yes, I liked both films. Emphasis on the LIKE. I didn't love them, but I can certainly live with them. Now pardon me, I'm going to go watch Galaxy Quest again.

Twice -- you're forgetting STAR TREK: NEMESIS, which really isn't a bad idea.
I doubt he's forgetting it; it's not a Khan remake. At most it just touches on some of the same vague mano-a-mano elements.

I doubt he's forgetting it; it's not a Khan remake. At most it just touches on some of the same vague mano-a-mano elements.
Ahhh, well a Jedi Master would know more about that than a Trekker or John Logan for that matter, who admitted he based his NEMESIS screenplay largely on WRATH OF KHAN...

I don't think a screenwriter attempting a structural homage makes it a remake any more than being based on a true story makes Titanic a documentary.

I agree that Karl Urban is great as Bones. the best character in this reboot in my opinion

He was in the 2009 film; he was woefully under-used in INTO DARKNESS.

Ah yes...wait a sec, what are you on about? You mean like, once? Where are all these alleged remakes? The fact that Khan is the villain here is just about where the similarities stop. This is the first time the crew meets Kahn, so isn't this a remake of Space Seed, if it's a remake at all? Wrath was a revenge flick, and this isn't. They lifted ONE event from Wrath, and they changed it up, because this is a tangent universe. Where is the Genesis device? Seti Alpha system? They didn't put....creatures...in our bodies....

This entire run is a REBOOT, not a REMAKE, and Abrams was quite clear when he said he would be retelling certain stories in the Star Trek universe, but with a new spin and changes as he saw fit.

Here's the thing - there is no lightning left in the Star Trek bottle - no NEW lightning, that is. There is a reason the franchise died when it did: They were plumb out of ideas. At that point, we were watching a copy of a copy of a copy...you get the picture. If you want brand new science fiction ideas, watching Star Trek is going to leave you pretty cold.

I think Abrams has to straddle a line here, one that runs directly between fresh and nostalgic. Khans story was sort of a shoe-in in this regard, and i think if we got out to film number three with no Khan coming into the picture, fans would have started clamoring for the story. Let's face it: no one clamors for a retelling of Star Trek V : The Final Frontier, so the list of "most-wanted retellings" is quite short.
You know, I popped the disc out and haven't finished the movie but after reading your post Mike I'mma gonna give it another go. I trust your judgement on Abrams and basically agree with your entire argument here. Even though, clearly. I'm a bigger fan of Final Frontier than you are!

Eclectic Mystery Science Fiction Movie Fruitcake
It came to me just now - the reason for all this misery - is that they're not trusting highly trained science fiction authors to do the writing. STOS did that in droves (at least in the first and second seasons) and that's why we got serious humanity in space stories. They need to take a leap into the freakin' unknown, for G's sake.

Well, I tried Mike. But this film is garbage.

WARNING: "Stupid Spoiler Alert" spoilers below
Dear god. Spock shouts out Khan? Just awful...

I will not watch another one of these.

So, did I kinda like this movie because I didn't grow up with The Wrath of Khan? I've seen it, and I liked it, but I feel like I was able to dig Into Darkness because I didn't hold it sacred or anything. I kind of liked the clever reversals--some were a little over the top, yeah, but I thought they were all sort of fun.

I think one of the problems here is that even though Abrams came up with a brilliant way to remake these films without upsetting the canon, a lot of people still act like he's messing with the canon. Which makes me think fealty to canon has less to do with a genuine desire to see a story taken seriously, and more to do with some kind of preservation of experiences and/or a fear that one's own experience will not be the culturally dominant one in the future.

I think it may have been Sleezy that pointed out some of the gaping and I mean GAPING holes in the story in the first go around. I was willing to live with most of those and if memory serves I believe he was to, to a point.

But this flick here expects you to completely ignore what has made Star Trek into something that has lasted for over 50 years. This flick is garbage. It's supposed to be a thrill ride but it's a thrill ride only for people that can't follow the story for more than 10 minutes. Because there isn't a story.

Stories and characters are what built Star Trek. Not stupid re-packaging. I guess I'll try to be civil if we're really gonna have the "this isn't a remake, not really" discussion but man... What else am I supposed to call this?

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Enjoyable and fun. Any nod to the original series is ok with me. btw, watched "Amok Time" immediately afterwards with the kids, and it was a nice little Trekkie nightcap