Tyler's Revised Top 100

→ in
Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
They've both done their fair share of stinkers (enough to last a couple of D-grade actors for a lifetime), but they both had their time when they made some pretty entertaining stupidity.

L.A. Confidential is awesome. Haven't seen the rest.

LA confidential is a great movie the other ones are good but not that good imo

93. Independence Day (1996)

I grew up hating this film. End of the world films scared the crap out of six year old, and this is one of the films my mum would watch over and over and over. I think I had seen about twenty times before I actaully started liking it. Twenty watches later, and here it is, with a space on my list. Blockbusters made for the public may be disparaged regularly, but this is one of the few that work, thanks to a great cast (Bill Pullman, Jeff Goldblum, James Duval, Adam Baldwin and Brent Spiner are all favourites of mine) and a thick, impenetrable atmosphere of cheese and patriotism that I can't help but love the hell out of.

92. Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)

Yes, I do prefer this to the original. It's basically a remake of the first, not treading on any new ground or anything, but I think this is just as, if not more, funny than the original and definitely much more action orientated. Eddie Murphy is one of my favourite actor/comedians, and his performance is exactly what you'd expect from him before he sold out for kid films: rude, outrageous and hilarious. Just like the film itself.

91. Top Gun (1986)

Two Tony Scott films in a row? He may not have made the most thought-provoking films ever, but the man truly made some great entertainment, and of course Top Gun is the most loved of his films. And I have a special place in my heart for it as well. It's the film that made Tom Cruise into the star he deserved to be and it's damn close to be the cheesiest movie ever made. And, in case you didn't know, I love me some of that cheese.

All three of this set are entertaining enough, but not something I'd personally rank anywhere near a top 100. But to each their own. Carry on.

90. The Searchers (1956)

I'm not much of a fan of the Western genre, but I have a strong amount of love and respect for John Ford's The Searchers. It's easily the best John Wayne film, giving his best performance and while he is still pretty much playing himself, at least this variation has more depth than usual. However, this is Ford's film, mounting beautiful shots on a harsh landscape and makes this more than your run of the mill "cowboys vs indians" film.

89. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)

The original and easily the best zombie film. Certainly the most influential; it's hard to imagine where horror films in general would be without Romero's '68 masterpiece. What I love most about Night is the character development. There's a good chunk of the film where Romero shifts the focus from the zombie horde trying to break in, and changes it to the confrontations breaking out from the characters. Plus, it's fun, it's quotable, what more could you want from a zombie film?

88. A Time To Kill (1996)

If there is anyone out there who still thinks Matthew McConnaghey is a no-talent pretty boy, I urge you to watch this film. I used to hate him as well, until I saw his powerhouse performance in A Time To Kill. He successfully holds his own against Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Donald Sutherland and others and even ends up stealing the film away from them. I generally dislike adaptations and remakes, reboots, what have you, but I really, really love Joel Schumacher's work here. He may developed into a camp joke, but people do forget what a solid director he is and the ability he has to make good films.

87. The Untouchables (1987)

For a very long time, I claimed this to be Brian De Palma's masterpiece and one of the best films of the '80's. I don't think it to be De Palma's masterpiece anymore, but it is still one of the best films of the '80's, in my opinion. One could argue it's all style and barely any substance. That may be true, but what glorious style it is. Kevin Costner may not be the best actor, but he delivers a solid performance here, alongside Connery and De Niro. Full of grandstanding moments and flashy camerawork, this is certainly one of the most fun films De Palma ever made, in my opinion.

86. Road House (1989)

It's Road House. Don't think, just have a badass good time. One of my favourite memories of Road House isn't from the film itself, but actually from what my grandmother says about it. She constantly criticises my love of violent, action movies and tells me to watch nicer films. However, when I put on something like Road House (or Under Siege), she has a great time watching it and yells stuff at the tv like "Ooh, get him Patrick!". When I ask her how she can like Road House, which is a violent, action movie, she says "it has a good story." To which I reply "What story?!"

Well now there's something I've seen and liked, +rep for Night of the Living Dead and The Untouchables, two enjoyable films, and about equally good.

85. Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl (2003)

Now granted, this isn't the most cerebral flick out there, but this is popcorn entertainment in it's purest form. Johnny Depp's performance may be one of the most overrated of all time, but that doesn't really take away from the fun or enjoyment of his portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow. With drunken swagger, he commands the screen. When watching Pirates, forget the line of sequels that get progressively worse and enjoy the rollicking fun of the original and best.

84. Full Metal Jacket (1987)

One of the definitive films on the subject of war and conflict, Kubrick brought his uncompromising, cold vision to a film that deconstructs the idea of what makes a killing machine. What turns a man into a monster. And Kubrick brings that idea to the screen with harsh intensity, the benefit of a good cast (especially Ermey as the unforgettable drill seargeant) and plenty of things to say.

83. Dances With Wolves (1990)

Kevin Costner's Best Picture winning western has not been treated well over time. It seems like it's joined Titanic and Crash as Best Picture winners that people hate the most. I still love Dances With Wolves, and still consider it one of the best films out of a genre I don't really care for. Kevin Costner is equally good in front of and behind of the camera, giving a great performance as Dunbar and directs the epic in a sweeping fashion, making the most of the landscape on offer and delivering a film that doesn't deserve it's growing hatred.

82. Unforgiven (1992)

While I appreciate how good some of his films truly are, I've never really "gotten" most of Eastwood's films as a director. While he's very skilled at his craft, a lot of his films seem cold and uninteresting to me. However, Unforgiven is a masterpiece. The coldness is fitting here, as Eastwood firmly and strongly directs a tale of an aging killer for hire who resorts to his old ways for one last job. This is probably the best Western I've ever seen and one of the defining films of the genre. However, it was amazingly close to being beaten by A Perfect World, which missed out because I haven't seen it that many times and it isn't as thematically rich as Unforgiven.

81. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)

By far my favourite of the Lethal Weapon series. It isn't better than the original, but much more fun and way more entertaining in my opinion. The action is bigger, bloodier and better and Gibson and Glover's chemistry sells not just this film, but the whole series.

+ rep for LA Confidential, The Searchers and Full metal jacket

Also the Doors are my favourite band of all time, but weirdly I have never seen the film, maybe I'll check it out one day.

By the way of Road House and Unforgiven being on my own 100, you earn enough for + rep. I also like the first Pirates film and Night Of The Living Dead.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Your list may not get much love from the arthouse crowd but I'm loving it so far. That list set is terrific, huge fan of all of them except for Full Metal Jacket. I think I still just prefer the original but like you got a lot of love for Lethal Weapon 2.

80. Superbad (2007)

Instantly likeable and immensely quotable, Superbad is irresistable fun. And a lot of that comes down to it's script. It's one of the few films I've seen that has teenagers who talk and act like me and my friends do. And a lot of that is also down to the authentic bond the three leads share, specifically Michael Cera and Jonah Hill, who have never been better than they are here. However, the film is stolen by Seth Rogen and Bill Hader as a pair of incompetent, fun loving cops.

79. Total Recall (1990)

It's not a TylerDurden99 list without Schwarzenegger films. And this is one of his finest, a sci-fi actioner that kicks extraordinary amounts of ass. Great use of practical effects, thrilling, nonstop action sequences with a good, well developed story to ground it and an insanely quotable script. NOW GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!

78. Rocky (1976)

The ultimate underdog story. It's one of those films that always manages to raise a smile from me everytime I watch it. The theme is iconic and the film remains Stallone's defining moment. A true classic that will continue to be loved for all time.

77. Back To The Future Part II (1989)

For the longest time, I considered this to be superior to the original. While I don't believe that anymore, it's still an amazing amount of fun. It's certainly the most experimental of the series, delving into confusing but often enjoyable timelines and darker themes. BATTER UP!

76. Lost Highway (1997)

This is quintessential Lynch. Eerie atmosphere, growing sense of dread, striking visuals, unforgettable performances, an almost indecipherable screenplay, fitting soundtrack... it almost plays as Lynch's "best of" reel.