Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wreck It Ralph - 8/10. Gonna be starting a movie review thread soon so watch out for that! :P

Rio Bravo

A good Western, but not one of my favorite Howard Hawks films. The stakes never feel that high, maybe because the pacing is off and there is no sense of urgency. It's an attractive flick (not entirely because of Angie Dickinson, but she helps) but overall I was a little disappointed. I probably let my expectations get too high, because it's consistently regarded as one of the best Westerns. In the High Noon-Rio Bravo showdown, I'm going to lean toward the former and it's more cynical, and to me, realistic, viewpoint.

Blood Simple. (1984)

This is an unbelievably sweet movie full of suspense and with a very intelligent script full of twists and misunderstandings. The music score was also very likable and suitable for the atmosphere. I've now seen 9 films from the Coen Brothers and I think this is my favorite so far (although some of the others are very close). It's so raw and yet so well crafted that it becomes absolutely irresistible to me! Frances McDormand is also very nice looking in this. I didn't know she was such a beauty in her younger years.

I'm also going to watch Bringing Out the Dead tonight (it's already 0:20 here, but I think I'll make it) so I'll let you know what I think of that one too.

Loft (2008)

Very good Belgian mystery thriller about five friends who share an apartment for a romantic adventures. One day they found dead girl in the apartment and suspicion immediately fell on one of them.
Development of story is pretty original and the end is almost unpredictable. Definitely one of better mystery flicks in last 5 years.

8/10

Following (1998)

First movie by Christopher Nolan. Probably the best one made with $6,000

8/10

Bringing Out te Dead (1999)

Martin Scorsese once again proved to me that he's probably the best living director at this moment.
The story is enjoyable. It's about a paramedic (played by a good Nicolas Cage) who has troubles with his past failures, in particular one including a young girl. He keeps seeing her 'ghost' everywhere and he starts looking for a certain distraction or even redemption. He's also an alcoholic, a coffee addict and a chain smoker. Together with a partner (there are three during the whole film) he goes on the streets with an ambulance trying to 'save' people.
This all sounds very heavy and even boring, but it is NOT! There is a lot of comic relief to keep it lighter and the filthy neighbourhood where it all takes place, makes the story very juicy. But the most important thing is that it is all shown with brilliant camera work and very inventive direction. There were some scenes where I actually had to stop myself from licking my fingers, because they tasted so good.
It was a wonderful late night experience!

The Book of Eli (2010) Great, post-apocalyptic flick with Denzel Washington traveling on foot through a blasted landscape, carrying the vital book of the title that soon attracts the evil intentions of a terrific (as usual) Gary Oldman. Lots of action, some supernatural elements, and great acting by all, including Mila Kunis. I only say this about her because of the general consensus (at least as far as I've read) that she is not that great of an actress. Having only seen her in this and That '70s Show, I can only speak for those and I've liked her in both, especially this one. 8/10

Space Cowboys (2001) Clint Eastwood directed and stars in this one, about four aging airmen who are called back into action to stop a Russian satellite from its decaying orbit around Earth. Very entertaining, with a top-notch cast including Tommy Lee Jones, James Garner, Donald Sutherland, Marcia Gay Harden, James Cromwell, and William Devane. One of the final sequences, involving Jones, is a wowser! Very entertaining from start to finish. 8/10

http://www.filmtied.com/District-9 - best sci-fi i've seen in years 8/10

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

This was very enjoyable. It had some nice animation and although I'm not really a gamer, I got most of the references and I really liked the story! It was a bit in the style of Toy Story and Monster Inc. in the sense that it creates a whole imagination world out of something rather superficial at first glance. I love that kind of fantastical films and certainly when it's well executed as in those films I mentioned. I would recommend it to all the animation fans out there.

P.S. I also really liked the twist ending.

(how do you use those simple spoiler tags?)

I expected to watch two movies tonight (I also wanted to watch Antichrist), but I'm not going to do it, because the movie I just saw, made an impression on me that I want to keep for a little while. I don't want to ruin it with watching another film immediately after it. I'm analyzing this one a little further tonight.

Barton Fink (1991)

Well, what can I say? The Coen Brothers can do everything.

This time they surprised me with a somehow surrealistic film about a playwright who tries to make it in Hollywood and signs a contract at Universal Pictures. From then on this movie becomes art (in my opinion) and you can start speculating about almost everything that happens. By adding some very poetic events and dialogue to the story, the Coen Brothers take you on a travel through their mind. They offer us some formidable scenes where we can make something from with our own personal feelings.

My personal favorite moments were the 'hell scene' with all the fire, the scenes with Jack Lipnick and of course the poetic final scene where he experiences the wonderful painting that was hanging on his wall during his stay in the hotel.

I personally think this movie is about "ideas", "intellectualism" and the way Hollywood deals with it, but there are plenty of other layers we can explore. We can for example also fantasize about hell and satan (I love the 666-moment in the elevator) or even anti-semitism and nazism, etc.
It is sure a movie you can talk about for a very long time, because there are so many things left to the imagination.

They mixed this dramatic surrealism with some very sophisticated (and sometimes absurd) and 'classic Coen' humor in the dialogue and in the key situations.

This is certainly a film that will stay in my mind for a very long time. I'm very happy I could experience this tonight.