2012 Best Actor Oscar

Tools    

And the Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role goes to...?
5.26%
1 votes
DEMIÁN BICHIR, A Better Life
52.63%
10 votes
GEORGE CLOONEY, The Descendants
21.05%
4 votes
JEAN DURJARDIN, The Artist
15.79%
3 votes
GARY OLDMAN, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
5.26%
1 votes
BRAD PITT, Moneyball
19 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are Oscar's choices for Best Actor. Thoughts, snubs, surprises?

Demián Bichir, A Better Life
George Clooney, The Descendants
Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt, Moneyball

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bichir.jpg
Views:	1554
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	7942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clooney.jpg
Views:	1476
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	7943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dujardin.jpg
Views:	1500
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	7944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldman.jpg
Views:	1496
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	7945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitt.jpg
Views:	1627
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	7946  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'd agree Clooney deserves it for his role but i'd be elated to see Oldman finally nab one, especially with Fassbender lacking a nomination.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Well, with Fassbender failing to nab a nomination and Oldman FINALLY getting a nomination, I want Oldman to win this year. However, George Clooney will most likely win it, no matter how overrated I think he is.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Clooney gave one of the strongest performances in years for any actor in my opinion. That's saying a lot, because I'm haven't been a huge Clooney fan in the past. But he was excellent.

Clooney will probably win. The Artist is likely to pick up Best Picture and artistic awards.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think it's down to George Clooney and Jean Dujardin.

Suspect's Reviews

I wasn't that blown out by George C so i am going with Gary O

Damien who?!? No, that's Demián Bichir. His name was a surprise on Oscar morning, but it is warranted. Bichir has been acting for a long time, mostly in his native Mexico, and there he is a well known and well respected name, having been nominated for six Ariel Awards (the Mexican equivalent of the Oscar), winning one. A Better Life got relatively little arthouse distribution in the U.S., but American audiences may know him from Showtime's hit series "Weeds", where he played the politician/drug lord who first employed Nancy Botwin then bedded her, impregnated her, married her, and eventually tried to have her killed for parts of three seasons on that show. He is excellent as the struggling immigrant in A Better Life, so quality isn't the issue. The surprise came in that he had been nominated or recognized in virtually none of the other awards shows or critics prizes during the season (though he was nominated for the SAG Award). Clearly he has absolutely no chance of winning, but it's rather wonderful he managed a nomination.

I think it's probably safe to assume that even the most casual Oscar watcher realized Demián Bichir had never been nominated for an Oscar before, but I think lots of film fans of all stripes were surprised to learn that Gary Oldman had never been nominated. Gary Oldman? Surely he was nominated for Sid & Nancy or Prick Up Your Ears? How about JFK or Bram Stoker's Dracula? Immortal Beloved or The Contender? Not Harry Potter, not Batman, not even Léon or True Romance...not nothing?!? How is that even possible? Not sure, to tell you the truth, but it is how it shook out for him. So now, at fifty-three, he's nominated at long last for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. The big screen adaptation of John le Carré's influential novel had a bit of a let down, in that it didn't get Picture or see any of its other numerous stars (including Colin Firth or John Hurt) get any nominations. But Oldman did make the cut, thank goodness. The great Alec Guinness of course already brought George Smiley to life in two famous BBC mini-series, but as indelible as that portrayal is, Oldman managed to find ways to inhabit Smiley and make him his own. Very still, unemotional character most of the time, and it's great to see Oldman, who is so well known for some of his more over-the-top characters, get to shine as somebody so quiet. But after waiting this long for a nomination, I fear he's going to have to wait even longer, still, for a win.

I like brad Pitt. A lot. I know he's too good looking and he gets to bang Angelina Jolie and all of that, so Schadenfreude should kick in...but I still like him. I've also always thought he was a good actor, who often didn't really get his due (probably because he's so good looking and gets to bang Angelina Jolie). But this is third Oscar nomination, the others coming as Supporting Actor in Gilliam's 12 Monkeys and as the lead in David Fincher's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Brad is effortlessly charming in Moneyball, and he does bring the emotional backstory of regret and wasted potential to life very nicely. But as good as Brad is in it, it's hardly got a very high degree of difficulty. So while it's nice that he is getting recognized - and remember, this is the same year he also played the father in Malick's Best Picture nominee The Tree of Life, so there may be some kind of unofficial phantom boosting for that, as well - I don't think this is in the top five performances of his career, and there were probably better choices among this year's crop. So no chance of winning, hope to see him here again, and next time let's pray it'll be a more complete performance.

Jean Dujardin is one talented dude. If you haven't seen The Artist or anything else he's been in yet, he has the dashing good looks of an old time matinee idol like Errol Flynn or Tyrone Power, but he is also as goofy and physically talented a comedian as you've ever seen. George Valentin, his fictional movie star in the Hollywood of the 1930s just as the transition into Talkies changes the town, is absolutely perfect for him. If it had just been a one-note comedy, a sketch about Silent movies, it would have been very funny but not garnering the kind of attention it has since it debuted at the Cannes Film Festival, where Dujardin took the prize as Best Actor. While The Artist is fun and funny, it also has a heart and a soul, and through this black and white love letter to cinema there are also some darker edges, and emotions other than laughter. Yeah, I'll admit it, I cried during this movie. In fact, I've cried in the same spot all five times I've seen it. A movie that is this different, this inventive, this funny, this clever, this toe-tappingly good, this joyous, AND it can make you cry...well, it's no wonder it is the favorite for Best Picture, and Dujardin's performance is absolutely central to its success.

Talk about somebody I have tried in vain to hate. George Clooney is impossibly good looking, he's rich, he's successful, he jets around the world and has sex with a bevy of stunningly beautiful women at his villa on Lake Como in Italy. But he's also very funny, honestly self-deprecating, philanthropic, and just generally an awesome fella. I want to be jealous of him, hate for the sake of hating, but he's just too damn cool. He is the most interesting movie star in the world. Clooney turned fifty last year, and with his grey hair and playing his age he's as appealing as ever, maybe even more so! This is George's seventh overall Oscar nomination, also nominated this year as the co-writer of The Ides of March's screenplay (in which he also starred and directed). This is his fourth nomination for acting, fairly recently losing in the Best Actor category for both Up in the Air and Michael Collins, but he won for his first nomination, a decidedly non-movie star turn with extra weight and under a big beard in Syriana. I think you'd have to say The Descendants is the best of his movie star roles, so if he gets another Oscar for it, good on him. And who doesn't like George Clooney?

I think you'd have to consider Clooney the early favorite, but don't dismiss Jean Durjardin. Even though The Artist isn't in French, it's a (mostly) Silent movie so 99.9% of the dialogue is given on title cards, Dujardin is undeniably a Frenchman. There have only been three of his other countrymen ever nominated for Best Actor, and only one of them was nominated for a French-speaking role. That was also the most recent, Gérard Depardieu as Cyrano de Bergerac, at the 1991 ceremony (Jeremy Irons won for Reversal of Fortune). The others were Frenchies working in Hollywood, Charles Boyer in Fanny (1961) and Maurice Chevalier, twice, for The Big Pond (1929) and The Love Parade (1930). None of those three men won the Oscar for Best Actor, so Dujardin would be the first if he pulls it off.

Attachments

Name:	Bichir truck.jpg
Views:	1615
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	8169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldman SPY.jpg
Views:	1491
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	8170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moneyball Pitter.jpg
Views:	1486
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	8171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Artist screaming.jpg
Views:	1582
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	8172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clooney glasses.jpg
Views:	1570
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	8173  

The snubs here should probably start with Michael Fassbender. He really made a name for himself on the international cinema scene with both Hunger and Fish Tank a couple years ago, then he showed up in Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds and even more of the public took notice. His 2011 was akin to Jessica Chastain's. He starred in the gritty Shame, which is the one that probably had the most hope for an Oscar nomination, but he also played Carl Jung in Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method, he was an excellent Rochester to Mia Wasikowska's Jane Eyre, and he was dashing and dangerous as the young Magneto in X-Men: First Class. He also had a highlighted cameo in Soderberg's just released spy thriller Haywire, and next up he's the android in Ridley Scott's Alien prequel, Prometheus. Fassbender most assuredly has arrived. But it didn't turn into an Oscar nomination, not this time. He'll get there, sooner or later. He's too good, and too many of the best filmmakers are anxious to work with him.

The other name a lot of people have already noted is Ryan Gosling. I think you'd have to say most people were already aware of Gosling, including The Academy, who nominated him for his wonderful work in Half Nelson at the 2008 ceremony (the year Forest Whitaker won for The Last King of Scotland). He also could have and probably should have gotten nominations for Lars and the Real Girl, Blue Valentine and The Believer (and my Mom would want me to add The Notebook, too). Even though he was established, he really went to the next level this year, certainly as far as his pop culture visibility goes. The role a lot of fans think he should have been nominated for this year is as the man of few words in Drive, but he also starred in George Clooney's well-received The Ides of March and had a charismatic movie star turn in the RomCom Crazy, Stupid, Love opposite Steve Carell and Emma Stone. So, much like Fassbender, he didn't make it this year but he'll be back, no doubt.

Leonardo DiCaprio was strong as J. Edgar Hoover, but the movie just didn't quite work as well as it should, so he doesn't get his fourth nomination this year. Anyone doubt he'll get more chances? Paul Giamatti was wonderful, as always, in Win Win, but that one got a little lost in the shuffle this year. I thought Antonio Banderas gave one of his best performances in Almodóvar's The Skin I Live In, but even for Almodóvar I think that one was a little too out there for most people. Johnny Depp gets bogged down playing Captain Jack Sparrow and whatever odd creature Tim Burton needs, but he was really quite good as Hunter S. Thompson's alter ego in The Rum Diary. I really love Brendan Gleeson, whether he's on screen for two minutes or two hours, and while he has a fine supporting role in Albert Nobbs, if you aren't already a fan you will be after you watch The Guard, a strange but often hysterical dark comedy where he really shines. Like his co-star Olivia Colman, the always amazing Peter Mullan gave one of his best performances in Tyrannosaur, but nary an Academy member saw it, apparently.

But once again, for me, personally, the biggest snub here isn't Gosling or Fassbender, it's Michael Shannon, who gives a tour de force in Take Shelter, which was completely ignored by the Oscars. Shannon has one previous Oscar nom, for Supporting Actor in Revolutionary Road, but if you don't know who he is yet you damn well should. I probably first took notice of him in The Woodsman back in 2004, and then he was rather haunting in Oliver Stone's unfairly dismissed World Trade Center, but it was Jeff Nichols no-budget indie Shotgun Stories when I realized he may turn out to be one of the best actors of his generation. I thought he was amazing in the little-seen detective piece The Missing Person, and though the movie itself is a bit half-baked he is magnetic in Werner Herzog's My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done. His over-the-top fun in playing Kim Fowley in The Runaways was a snub last year, though he did start to get recognized more and more as Agent Nelson Van Alden in HBO's acclaimed "Boardwalk Empire". His re-teaming with Jeff Nichols for Take Shelter is perfection, and I'm still disappointed the Oscars just plain missed this movie. Oh, well. If he continues taking such bold chances and giving such amazing performances, they can't ignore him forever.

Attachments

Name:	Fassbender.jpg
Views:	1686
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	8174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gosling Crazy.jpg
Views:	2134
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	8175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Take Shelter lantern.jpg
Views:	1461
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	8176  

Well, the SAG Awards may have made this category a little more interesting. Jean Dujardin did win Best Actor tonight, over three of the four he's on the Oscar ballot with (including George Clooney), the difference being Leonardo DiCaprio as J. Edgar got the SAG nod over Gary Oldman. Does this make the star of The Artist now the frontrunner? Hard to say, but I think it certainly makes Clooney less of a favorite, at the very least.

Not that the Screen Actors Guild Awards are an automatic predictor. They aren't. This is only the eighteenth annual SAG Awards, but in that limited history the winner of the SAG's Best Actor has gone on the win the Oscar thirteen out of seventeen times. Being correct 76% of the time is a pretty good indicator. Although the SAGs do have issues with sometimes putting performances in different categories than the Oscars. This happened at the 2001 ceremony with Benicio Del Toro and Traffic. At the SAGs that was up for Best Actor, which he won, but at the Oscars it was up for Best Supporting Actor (which he also won). So obviously he couldn't win Oscar's Best Actor if he wasn't up for it, that was the year Russell Crowe won for Gladiator. So if you throw out that one, then they've correctly predicted thirteen out of sixteen, which is an impressive 82%, and the last seven Best Actors at the SAGs were all Oscar winners, too. But just before that, three in a row were different, not even counting Benicio's category issue.

So, of the four solo acting categories, the Best Actor at the SAGs has been the most consistently on target, in regards to Oscar predicting. While that may not mean Dujardin actually overtakes Clooney as the favorite, it's most definitely getting tougher to call. By the way, if you didn't see it, Dujardin seemed truly surprised and honored to win the award, and he spoke enough English for a rather charming acceptance speech. For whatever that's worth. Here's how Jean handled the question of what if he were to become the first Frenchman to win the Oscar after he got the SAG last night...

Attachments

Name:	Jean SAG.jpg
Views:	1513
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	8202  

I can't wait to see Take Shelter but having seen Shame last night, i'm not surprised, but certainly disappointed Fassbender didn't get a nomination. It wasn't a perfect film but Fassbender was the central focus throughout and carried it and owned the role to a tee. Having seen Oldman, Dujardin and Clooney's performances; Fassbender gave a far braver, magnetic and powerful performance than any of them and his lack of a nod highlights The Academy's conservative stance. Which is a shame but I have been a fan of his for a good while now so glad he's getting the roles which garner the talk.

I have Take Shelter here and look forward to it. As usual I can't really argue with most of Holden's analysis here. If I could change one little thing I think Gosling was much more deserving than Oldman but the Academy is a lot more about dues and body of work sometimes so I'm not really complaining. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy just isn't a real good flick. A better movie perhaps would have equaled a little more notoriety. Oldman being nominated should equal more folks seeing the flick though and that's fine.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing A Better Life just yet but hope to get my fat little hands on it before Oscar night. It does look good and I too haven't heard of the guy. I look forward to it. See, the Academy does recognize great acting out of the blue. It's just out of the blue. If they did it all the time it would be old hat. Then all you'd have is an old beat up hat and nothing to talk about.

I actually thought Pitt was incredible in Moneyball and sadly it seems, he has no chance to win.

I think the safe money is still on Clooney even if I thought he was channeling Ulysses Everet McGill at times during The Descendants. I mean, I like the movie OK and all, but I just couldn't stop looking at Clooney's face and thinking about O' Brother.

Anyway...

II think the safe money is still on Clooney even if I thought he was channeling Ulysses Everet McGill at times during The Descendants.
Well, he was the paterfamilias. Haven't seen it, though, so I can't say if his performance is bona fide.

(I literally watched that movie yet again last night.)

Thumbs up for the analyses Pike, but I'm off the couch now and am looking into the future. This is the year where politics are surpassing everything else and there is just no way an American Academy is going to give the Oscar to an outsider although, arguably, he might actually deserve it. There is a world of difference who I think shall win and who I think should win.
Having said that, George Clooney is the logical choice but my heart goes with Bradd Pitt and I see him as the dark horse.

Damn, I haven't seen none of those movies. I would rather go with Brad Pitt, but is a purely subjective opinion.