What is the nearest example you've seen to a perfect movie?

Tools    

http://ryanestabrooks.com
The first film that comes to my mind is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I can't think of any other thing that could be done to that film to make it any better than it already is.

MARK F, only because I've a GAZILLION favorite movies

American Gangster

and maybe resevoir dogs

This thread is probably the most acute example of the subjectivity of film I've ever seen.

I try to watch most films as objectively as possible, but this thread is amazing! Forrest Gump? Really?!?

This thread is probably the most acute example of the subjectivity of film I've ever seen.

I try to watch most films as objectively as possible, but this thread is amazing! Forrest Gump? Really?!?
You don't agree? So what! Everyone has their own opinion. Why don't you give your answer to the question, rather than criticizing other people's answers. Maybe your one of those people who imagine that they have the best tastes?

Why do you want to watch films objectively? Do you only watch them this way after a first viewing?
I attempt to watch them objectively because I'm a fan of the art form. I can enjoy films just fine while still observing their faults and high points. For example, the Friday the 13th series (original only) are some of my favorite films to watch, but they are utterly ridiculous and often poorly made. There's nothing wrong with watching films as objectively as possible.

You don't agree? So what! Everyone has their own opinion. Why don't you give your answer to the question, rather than criticizing other people's answers. Maybe your one of those people who imagine that they have the best tastes?
Wow, touchy, aren't we?

For your information, I did answer the question and it was immediately criticized! I'm pretty sure that why I made the post that you are jumping on me for making. But, thanks for playing Mom, I guess every forum needs one.

My answer:

Check my top ten list for ten examples of films that are near perfect in my eyes. Especially 8 1/2, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Poltergeist.
Criticism:

No way either of them are perfect.

Lost Ark has been so imitated since it was first released it seems a little draggy when viewed these days and has a lot of recycled action sequences from other films.

Poltergeist's ending is both predictable and way over the top.

I'll go with Dr. Strangelove, a seamless blend of black comedy and thriller, it never has a mistep and is perfectly acted by everyone.

Playing mom? This is obviously a question that can only be answered with an opinion, which will vary from person to person. Instead of offering any genuine insight as to why you disagree, you responded in a smug, elitist way, as if my opinion was absurd.

Although I do not quite agree, I did not criticize your choices. Those are your choices, but in your opinion, which singular one is the most perfect? I thought that you did not answer because you did not choose one.

I'm not offering one because Raiders of the Lost Arc is a near perfect action film masquerading as a 1940's-50's serial. It sets out to do something and it does it to near perfection in my book. Poltergeist sets out to do something else, be a fun, entertaining, and frightening film, and, IMO, it succeeds to near perfection. I don't have to pick one because there's tons of films that set out to do something and do it to near perfection, in my eyes. Some more; Die Hard, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Apartment. Those are all very hard to criticize in my opinion.

Forrest Gump is emotionally manipulative and I hate the way it plays with history. "Oh, look, this dumb guy invented the smiley face t-shirt, inspired Lennon to write Imagine, met 4 presidents, and changed history." It's supposed to be cute and I just think it's heavy handed. Sorry, it wasn't personal.

For example, I also don't think American Beauty, Robocop, Pleasantville, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, American Gangster, or Reservoir Dogs are perfect, but that was the point of my post. That this subject is extremely subjective and polarizing! Again, nothing personal, I just picked Gump because it was mentioned a few times. I could have substituted any of the above films in the place of the post that got you riled up.

You said I was smug, an elitist, and accused me of being "one of those people who imagine that they have the best tastes". Forgive me thinking that's being riled up.

Anyways, Forrest Gump is a near-perfect film.
If by perfect example of how to manipulate your audience and make people think you made something of value, then, yes, it is.

If by perfect example of how to manipulate your audience and make people think you made something of value, then, yes, it is.
So most of the people who have seen the movie have been manipulated, I guess meaning they have less intelligence than yourself? You should probably start your own website since you are more knowledgable than most. I was very entertained and satisfied with Forrest Gump, which is the only value I look for in a film. I must me easily manipulated/stupid and I bow down to you.

So most of the people who have seen the movie have been manipulated, I guess meaning they have less intelligence than yourself? You should probably start your own website since you are more knowledgable than most. I was very entertained and satisfied with Forrest Gump, which is the only value I look for in a film. I must me easily manipulated/stupid and I bow down to you.
Actually I have a movie blog that no one reads. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm so damn smart that they can't keep up with me.

Id have to say Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samarai. Also, Dr Strangelove, The Cranes are Flying, and Annie Hall. There's more but ill never stop if I keep going.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Personally I think Pixar have twice come very close to making a perfect movie, both with Wall-e and Toy Story 3. Both are fantastic looking films with memorable characters, strong scripts, witty dialogue, great voicework; and they run the gamut of emotions with moments that are funny, sad, touching and exciting.

There was actually a good review of Toy Story 3 which I believe started with the line "It's not possible to make a perfect movie. But if it were it would look a lot like this."

I also think Back to the Future is pretty close. A fun and clever script, excellent performances and directing and it has a lightning pace which just rattles along from first minute to last. It's also one of those rare films where it feels like hardly a single line of dialogue is wasted. Lines that seem throwaway at the time come around later and are paid off.