Mount Rushmore of Cinema

Tools    

Great thread, I would have to go with the following

1) Martin Scorsese - Best ganster movie director all time
2) Robert DeNiro - Good diverse actor that fits into any role
3) Denzel Washington - The reincarnated Sidney Poitier
4) Hayao Miyazaki - Best story driven animator surpasses pixar!

Also I would choose for a female actor list

1) Hillary Swank - Million Dollar Baby need I say more
2) Jane Seymour - She was hot when she was young!
3) Sigourney Weaver - Havent you seen Alien/Aliens
4) Jodie Foster - Silence of the Lambs, she owned that role!

Morgan Freeman, James Cameron, Tim Burton and Jimmy Stewart.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Quentin Tarantino
Martin Scorcese
Robert DeNiro
Marlon Brando

Was going to do Francis Ford Coppola, but I saw Youth Without Youth the other day...

^ Neither. Fincher's career is just getting started for crying out loud. Benjamin Button was his first serious film anyhow.

I think Se7en was a pretty serious film, if a bit manipulative. But his first unarguably 'serious' film was Zodiac.

I wouldn't have Spielberg on their either, but he's nowhere near the output or accomplishment of Spielberg.

Yes! Kubrick should definitely be on there. That's the first name that I'm absolutely certain of.

I'm surprised more people didn't suggest Fritz Lang. He was just as important as Chaplin in my opinion, if not more so.

George Melies is easily my first pick
Akira Kurosawa
Stanley Kubrick
and...The Elephant Man, should be a cinch to carve eh?

I don't know why people love Denzel so much, he's pretty redundant most of the time

A female one would be tricky, I would start with Carol Reed but I just found out his prenom is Sir...

I'm surprised more people didn't suggest Fritz Lang. He was just as important as Chaplin in my opinion, if not more so.
Why do you think Fritz Lang deserves on Mount Rushmore of Cinema? I agree he was a good director/writer/producer but I dont think he should be on Mount Rushmore, IMO.

Kubrick, Kurosawa... Hitchcock made too much crap at the end of his career for me to consider him for Film Rushmore. Ozu maybe. Tarkovsky maybe. I mean, Tarkovsky, like Kubrick, has a flawless record.

Hitchcock deserves to be on it, in my opinion, more than almost any director in history. I'm not sure the criteria, but I would assume influence, cultural significance, and quality would be a good start. Hitch made at least twenty movies that I consider four star movies, and about seven or eight films that are absolute masterpieces. I would say Hitch made more masterpieces than Kubrick made films. Beyond that, his influence can be seen in the films of just about every major director working since him.

I was trying to keep it American-British, since it's Mt. Rushmore. It should actually probably be all American. But if we're going worldwide, then I'd say

John Ford
Alfred Hitchcock
Akira Kurosawa
Stanley Kubrick

Those are the most consistently great and probably the most influential directors I can think of. But I wish there were more than four faces because there are many others who deserve a spot here.