Mystery/Detective Movies please

Tools    

SotL is the better film. I just never liked watching it.

OP's probably seen it. Godard's Alphaville is an excellent one with a few plays on the genre.

Are there really? I've only seen the one.

I also recommend Bored To Death (HBO TV series) Till now there have only been 8 episodes, no idea about a second season yet.
But I love this show, give it a try.
It stars Jason Schwartzman, Ted Danson & Zach Galifianakis

I also like these types of movies, serial killer sort of movies anyway,

Rising Sun - Sean Connery, Wesley Snipes
Just Cause - Sean Connery, Laurence Fishbourne
Seven - Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman
Bone Collector - Angelina Jolie, Denzel Washington
Out Of Time - Denzel Washington, Eva Mendes (not a serial killer movie but I thought it was good)

Also a few others I just thought of which are quite good

Along Came a Spider - Morgan Freeman, Some blonde woman
Kiss the Girls - Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd

I second rashomon as well as Hitchcock movies, I watched The Lady Vanishes recently, it was superb. you might also like his television series, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

Thank you very very much guys and girls I am really happy with so many good recommendation. Although I had seen lots of them but they are good recommendation. If somebody would have asked me I suggested many movies you listed here .
I am going to rent many suggested movies now. I am not into series and also the older ones are good but the problem is the 'thrill' part is copied in many modern movies so in most of Hitchcock movies you know beforehand whats coming.
Thanks for your great suggestions.

8 episodes? Nice. I love miniseries, because they're finite and watchable in just a few sittings.