The Rules On The forum

Tools    

Originally Posted by nebbit
Hey Frank, nice little devil avatar.
That's the 'devil' figure from The Neverending Story.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Someone Save Us College Kids
Yeah the Gamork scares the Heebi Jeebies out of me. Just thinking about the seen where Atreyu talks to him. Gives me chills.

woooo I searched and searched the threads to see if my question has been answered and I can't find it, then I searched for a spot to post my question so that I don't have to start a new thread...I decided to post it here...

I am only asking out of curiosity because of all the banned people re-registering with new accounts.

My question is, how does a moderator know whether or not the person re-registering is the same person who was banned if they use a different email and fill out different information etc. Or is this something you can just tell, by the way they "talk". Is there a special coding or something when you register from your computer? If this is the case, can people follow ME around ciberspace. :eek

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
gummo, every post has the IP encoded in it of the person who posted. Usually, mods in a forum can see those IP addresses, and can compare them and know it's the same person.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
gummo, every post has the IP encoded in it of the person who posted. Usually, mods in a forum can see those IP addresses, and can compare them and know it's the same person.
& yeah the IP address is linked to the computer from which the account and subsequent posts were made from. That's how a network is able to work, you know send stuff to each other because every comp has a unique IP. It may also tell you where the computer is in the world........like if it's England it starts with 573.231 or somthing like that (ok not sure about that last part). I don't think people can track you with it though so that's good

I've seen the video already but it was still funny the second time around. thx Frank

Well, that is interesting. So people will know I am a Canadian then? BUt they can't track me to my home address? Or can they? Now I am afraid of stalkers...though I have no idea why someone would want to stalk boring ol' me All they would see is me going from home to school, to home again..not very interesting.

Your IP address tells a lot about you. For instance my cable company has a record of my IP address and with that the rest of my info can be accessed, home address, phone number, even banking info if I used it to pay my cable bills. The good thing is that this stuff is strickly monitored and not just given out to anyone, but hackers have a way.

Be careful, is all I have to say, and get a router if you do not have one.

I know about hackers and stuff and both my laptop and desktop are secured with good quality software. Yes I do have a router, but what does that do? I thought routers are unsafe? But ours is well secured (to my knowledge).

Just the thought of someone hacking into my computer, getting all my private personal information is enough to make me want to get rid of the computer lol.

Originally Posted by gummo
Yes I do have a router, but what does that do? I thought routers are unsafe? .

Your ip address is usually a 192 number, which in turn is not your real ip address. Least thats the way it works for me. Anyone else wanna chime in? I am a computer tech, but not a networking guru.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by 7thson
Your ip address is usually a 192 number, which in turn is not your real ip address. Least thats the way it works for me. Anyone else wanna chime in? I am a computer tech, but not a networking guru.
I'm never much of a help in non-luddite matters but my router gives a 192.... IP addy too. The IP which shows up when going to a site like this is always the one assigned by my ISP though.

Maybe mine's not configured properly? Wouldn't surprise me.

hmmm mine says 64.203...and so on. So does that mean that the router blocks the IP of my computer and that makes it safe from hackers?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by gummo
hmmm mine says 64.203...and so on. So does that mean that the router blocks the IP of my computer and that makes it safe from hackers?
If that's your router's IP then yes. That site just shows my normal addy - not my routers.