Movie Tab II

Tools    

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by jrs
Yeah right, and I got a date with Scarlett Johansson.
uh? you did too?

Creepshow
When Ed Harris dies in the first story he makes one of the funniest sounds ever and he's a groovy dancer.

Primer
It's kind of difficult to follow along with, mainly because I was eating chips and the sound of the crunching made it hard to hear, but I still thought it was pretty dope-rad.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Hey Gummo! Welcome back! How ya been? Where ya been?

Hey! Well I was quite busy with school, then I moved out of town...to attend a new University. Then I was without a computer for a little while because we got the 'blue screen of death' and couldn't afford to fix it....we needed a new harddrive, motherboard and I forget what else....it was pretty well fried. Now we have the computer up and running, but we are purchasing a brand spanking new computer next month because I was awarded a grant from my University. We are never buying used computers ever again. But I have been doing well and I am excited to be starting at my new school next month.

Sleepers-I still enjoy this movie after watching it 6 times.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
The Machinist - 4/5

Mortal Kombat

Can we try with real bullets now?
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - This is one of my favorite comdies and I haven't watched it for awhile, so I decided to check some of it out this morning. It is still as funny as I remember it!
The songs just get better with time! Especially "Every Sperm is Sacred"

Originally Posted by Misirlou
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
The songs just get better with time! Especially "Every Sperm is Sacred"
I love this movie and song

history *is* moralizing
Cecil B. Demented, 2000, a great movie, wonderful Melanie Griffith, important plusses for me like Alicia Witt and Maggie Gyllenhaal, now i'll have to watch all Waters' movies!.. "so much to do, and so little time"

A system of cells interlinked
Monty Python's The Life of Brian (1979, Jones-Gilliam)

Funny stuff, as usual. Now, I watched the Python documentary afterwards, and I must say, Chapman and Cleese were arrogant chumps. Sure, they could be funny, but they seemed to have zero respect for the rest of the Python talent, including each other. My favorite part of the documentary was when Chapman and Cleese were saying things like "That Gilliam, I think he only knows three words." or "Terry doesn't understand words, that's why he can't direct, he only understands pictures."

In retrospect, Mr. Chapman, I think it was you who missed the bus, as understanding visual art is just what a director needs. While you were toiling away on Yellowbeard, and a slew of half-baked Python redux, Terry Gilliam was creating some of the most original films to hit the screen, andf continues to do sao tady, twnty-five years after you said he wasn't going anywhere. Well, at least Mr. Cleese did okay....If bit parts in Harry Potter and bad Bond films is okay....

That has to be my favorite comedy of all time, Sed...nice lil' write-up...but quit yaking up the dead...it's creepy.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by Sedai
[
Funny stuff, as usual. Now, I watched the Python documentary afterwards, and I must say, Chapman and Cleese were arrogant chumps. Sure, they could be funny, but they seemed to have zero respect for the rest of the Python talent, including each other. My favorite part of the documentary was when Chapman and Cleese were saying things like "That Gilliam, I think he only knows three words." or "Terry doesn't understand words, that's why he can't direct, he only understands pictures."
Ummmmm, do you really not get that they were joking in deadpan, putting the interviewer on for their own amusement (and mine)?

I guess not.

I remember back, I think it was the premiere of Fierce Creatures, and on "Etertainment Tonight" or someplace they had the requisite red carpet soundbites from the premiere. Cleese deadpanned something about Jamie Lee Curtis and Kevin Kline being only moderately talented, but they were Americans so he thought it might be good for the box office. I thought it was pretty funny, better than the usual twaddle you get on the carpet. The next day I read that gossip hag Liz Smith in her newspaper column has taken those comments and, much like your rant above, is going on and on about who is he, how dare he, anti-American blah, Kline won an Oscar blah, yadda-yadda. I was laughing SO HARD. As mildly amusing as the comment was on the carpet, that Liz Smith didn't have the humor capacity to see it was A JOKE was absolutely priceless. Maybe if I Google it I can find that article?...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Anti-American? I don't remember saying anything like that.... Yeah, I didn't get it, I am thick that way. I am just such a Gilliam nut, that seeing someone say he can't even complete a sentence just seemed off to me, as I consider him a genius in the language of film. Shows what I know about Python, Gilliam IS a genius though, but you knew that. Cleese just seemed so serious and pretentious, going on about how after the split, it was clear He and Chapman would go on to better careers, while the others wouldn't. Again, the joke's on me, apparently. I should have known that when I pop a Python disk in, I should know better than to take anything too seriously.

Can we try with real bullets now?
New York, New York - I had never heard Liza Minnelli sing before today and was pleasantly surprised

I am having a nervous breakdance
Saved! (2004 - Brian Dannely)

It started off good as a satire of christian fundamentalist kids. Towards the end I felt it became a bit to sloppy and cliché filled though. Not really sure if that was playing with the high school genre though. But overall I think it was worth the ticket money. Not as controversial as some say it is though. (Lots of "thoughs" here)...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

history *is* moralizing
i liked Saved too, but then again, whenever Jena Malone is around, i'm not objective anymore...

Sunset Boulevard
(d. Billy Wilder - 1950)

~~~~~~~~~~

Sabrina
(d. Billy Wilder - 1954)

~~~~~~~~~~

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
(d. Terry Gilliam - 1998)

~~~~~~~~~~

Almost Famous
(d. Cameron Crowe - 2000)