Fairy Tales of Terror

Tools    

What with my side of the internet going crazy with the upcoming release of a gritty Winnie the Pooh movie, I got to thinking about those dark and violent retellings of fairy tales that B-movie directors love so much. Any of these kinds of movies you actually like? Snow White: a Tale of Terror, for example? Hansel and Gretel: With Hunters?

Gretel and Hansel that came out a few years was an arthouse retelling of the story and was decent.

I enjoy watching The Brothers Grimm and Red Riding Hood that have a bit of a horror aspect to it.

What with my side of the internet going crazy with the upcoming release of a gritty Winnie the Pooh movie…
Gawd, let me guess. It wasn’t honey Pooh was addicted to? Turns out he was a fentanyl addict?

Gawd, let me guess. It wasn’t honey Pooh was addicted to? Turns out he was a fentanyl addict?
Something about Pooh getting angry that an adult Christopher Robin forgot him. Like that episode of The Fairly Odd parents with the imaginary friend.

Are we talking stuff like The Lure, The Company of Wolves (though not a specific fairy tale, but it was a fairy tale in which they told fairy tales), Jan Svankmajer's Alice (though that's a children's story and not a fairy tale. I can't weigh in on Little Otik), Juraj Herz (director of The Cremator) made an adaptation of Beauty and the Beast that might qualify (if the previous movies do). I think I saw a Russian Little Mermaid adaptation on a letterboxd list somewhere that might not fit, but looked interesting. I think there was on more coming to mind, but it's just evading recollection.

Or are we talking the mid... 2010s stuff that were like, shall we say, more commercially viable?

ETA: I forgot, but for the latter, there was a Krampus horror-comedy from the mid 2010s.

ETAA: I found the name of the Russian movie I was thinking of, Rusalochka. Doesn't look dark at all, so scratch that one from the list.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
I'm not a big fan because of sexual assault being played for laughs, but Deadtime Stories (1984) isn't too bad. Co-directed by Tom Savini. Horror comedy, two of the stories are modern day Goldilocks and Red Riding Hood. The third is likely inspired by Hansel and Gretel.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

"In the water I'm a very skinny lady"
I enjoyed the modern day rendition of Hansel and Gretel which was the wrap-around story in Tales From the Darkside: The Movie. Deborah Harry played the witch-type character. Mathew Lawrence was the captured little boy like Hansel.

We could include 1973 The Beast. Loose adaptation of Beauty and The Beast but definitely not for children. Lol I found the dvd several years ago.

Does this include folklore tales as well? If so. Thale can be included as well.

I would love if East Of The Sun, West Of The Moon was made into a horror live action film.

We could include 1973 The Beast. Loose adaptation of Beauty and The Beast but definitely not for children. Lol I found the dvd several years ago.
F-up movie.
But Lisbeth Hummel in that white dress in the end of the movie was

Tumbbad highly recommended.

My other recommendation is a bit... How should I put it... Out there.
Grimms Märchen von lüsternen Pärchen
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0064394/

Most of the fairy tales told in violent, graphic manner.
Fairy tales weren't written for children.

I read a biography on Hans Christian Andersen years ago and they were stories he told at dinner parties. Also, they were stories told to children to obey their parents or the authorities.

There are a set of books from the late 1800s to early 1900s, that are a collection of fairytales from around the world by Andrew Lang and his wife collected. I own several of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang%2...ks?wprov=sfla1

There are a set of books from the late 1800s to early 1900s, that are a collection of fairytales from around the world by Andrew Lang and his wife collected. I own several of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang%2...ks?wprov=sfla1
I’m familiar with these books too.

As a child, I just loved them. I loved all kinds of fairy tales. Once Upon a Time …

I’m familiar with these books too.

As a child, I just loved them. I loved all kinds of fairy tales. Once Upon a Time …
I enjoy them as well.

I admit Hans Christian Andersen is one of my favorite writers.

My two favorite are Beauty and the Beast and East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

I enjoy them as well.

I admit Hans Christian Andersen is one of my favorite writers.

My two favorite are Beauty and the Beast and East of the Sun, West of the Moon.
I love the illustrations too by Rackham, Dulac & Nielsen.

OK, since there's debate over an exact definition, let's just say public domain children's stories. Peter Pan and Pooh still count.

What with my side of the internet going crazy with the upcoming release of a gritty Winnie the Pooh movie, I got to thinking about those dark and violent retellings of fairy tales that B-movie directors love so much. Any of these kinds of movies you actually like? Snow White: a Tale of Terror, for example? Hansel and Gretel: With Hunters?
I don't know about pooh, but I just recently came across this and I'm stoked to sit down and check out. The original fair tale. Anybody see it?